Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What Experiences Hook New Players?

harneloot
Agree 100%

People need to show themselves in Discord when they play (some few have, which is great to see!). Time to give up TeamSpeak/Mumble and BE an active community in the official PFO Discord. smile
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Bringslite
It would serve for awhile, possibly. It wouldn't serve long term. At least not if there were actually active, busy PVP.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
harneloot
There are *private channels* where only your own alliance can see you when you are on. We mostly stay in General (which is public) but go into a locked private channel when we want to raid smile
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Bringslite
harneloot
There are *private channels* where only your own alliance can see you when you are on. We mostly stay in General (which is public) but go into a locked private channel when we want to raid smile
Good to know. Thanks! The real fact is that the point is valid at this time. It could only help to have more presence in Discord.
I just haven't felt the gumption to play much lately…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Bringslite
harneloot
Good to know. Thanks! The real fact is that the point is valid at this time. It could only help to have more presence in Discord.
I just haven't felt the gumption to play much lately…

Yes, but you dont need to be playing a lot (or at all really) to just say stuff in Discord. I have the mobile app on my phone. It is great for just shooting the breeze with everyone, talking about PFO matters or just any gaming, and in your private rooms report on how the latest building project is going or brag about that mule you happened to take from some poor dude.

Better still, it is nice to coordinate for stuff so that maybe you might not wanna play for a while but maybe you wanna do a stake out at an auction house and ambush someone who may be heading there to sell or just bought something and someone is calling for some extra bodies.

Not that anyone has ever done such a thing…
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
NightmareSr
The best thing I did after my second day of playing was to take a chance and apply to a company that had a noisy NPC "Crier" blowing up my chat window. They had a good website but nothing had been posted for months.
Once I took a chance and posted something I got an immediate response and met up in game with 2 players on day 3.
Getting some help and assistance from existing players, or even a "Hello" from another player is huge since the population of Thornkeep makes the game appear abandoned to new players.
– I do tend to switch over to the keepers discord server a bit since when I sit on the official PFO one and noone is around it kicks me to AFK and I don't realize it cause I am focused on the game.
Oh and I had to be told about the Official PFO discord, maybe that can be bolded or bigger in the client window, or maybe mentioned big in the new player guide or even in game somehow? Being able to actually talk to players is nice and faster when learning for sure.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Bringslite
NightmareSr
The best thing I did after my second day of playing was to take a chance and apply to a company that had a noisy NPC "Crier" blowing up my chat window. They had a good website but nothing had been posted for months.
Once I took a chance and posted something I got an immediate response and met up in game with 2 players on day 3.
Getting some help and assistance from existing players, or even a "Hello" from another player is huge since the population of Thornkeep makes the game appear abandoned to new players.
– I do tend to switch over to the keepers discord server a bit since when I sit on the official PFO one and noone is around it kicks me to AFK and I don't realize it cause I am focused on the game.
Oh and I had to be told about the Official PFO discord, maybe that can be bolded or bigger in the client window, or maybe mentioned big in the new player guide or even in game somehow? Being able to actually talk to players is nice and faster when learning for sure.
Almost like there should be an organized program that waits, looks for and greets new players to show them around as much as these new players want the help/advice/etc… Volunteer efforts went down that road early on but, sadly, most have gone missing.

I wonder if some players could be coaxed to take shifts at it for in game rewards?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Maxen
NightmareSr
…[The Official PFO Discord] kicks me to AFK and I don't realize it cause I am focused on the game.

Is there a global server setting to turn this feature off? It’s a total PITA. If I mute the mic on my end, it kicks me to the AFK channel because it thinks I’m inactive. I’ve searched the personal settings and can’t find anything to disable that.
NightmareSr
Maxen
NightmareSr
…[The Official PFO Discord] kicks me to AFK and I don't realize it cause I am focused on the game.

Is there a global server setting to turn this feature off? It’s a total PITA. If I mute the mic on my end, it kicks me to the AFK channel because it thinks I’m inactive. I’ve searched the personal settings and can’t find anything to disable that.
The setting is in the "Server settings" or "Channel Settings" of that discord server so someone with Admin permissions would need to change it. I think it is in channel settings but I might be wrong.
I would certainly stay in there most to all of the time I am in game if it were changed to not send me to AFK while sitting with a muted mic. smile
NightmareSr
Bringslite
Almost like there should be an organized program that waits, looks for and greets new players to show them around as much as these new players want the help/advice/etc… Volunteer efforts went down that road early on but, sadly, most have gone missing.

I wonder if some players could be coaxed to take shifts at it for in game rewards?
I could probably be "coaxed" to do a lot of things if there was a reward for it. smile
- Although I am not quite as knowledgeable as some of you veteran players, I would be willing to try and sort of did once already.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post