Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 15.2 on Zog

Bob
The first Final Candidate for EE 15.2 is up and running on Zog. I still need to write up the Preliminary Release Notes and should have those posted up sometime tomorrow. I also need to run around reactivating several of the player settlements on Zog, since so many shut down from lack of DI since all the testing for EE 15.1 finished up.

We made some changes to the way servers start up to prevent hexes from having their buildings missing. The changes were relatively safe, and we've tested lots of server restarts on our internal servers, but we still want to run through multiple Daily Maintenance cycles on Zog before rolling this build out to Live, including a Monday Daily Maintenance, since that's when things like Settlement Upkeep take place.

I'll post the complete Preliminary Release Notes tomorrow, but here's a quick list of some of the biggest changes in EE 15.2:

• Friends Lists
  • Dropdown action menus on selected characters and party members (e.g. Invite, Trade, Whisper, Kick)
  • Your character included in the Party UI
  • Party UI can be hidden/revealed
  • Hermitage and Manor Holdings
  • Tokens take .3 seconds to activate and can be equipped in stacks up to 50 tokens
  • Magister's Diminishing Staff is visible when attacking
  • Tooltips for Main Menu choices
  • Guild Codex Collection recipe uses same number of codexes as other expendable-based collections.
Stilachio Thrax
Bob
  • Tokens take .3 seconds to activate and can be equipped in stacks up to 50 tokens

• Thank the Maker!
    Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
    You are a Troll
    Stilachio Thrax
    Bob

• Thank the Maker!

That is a HUGE change and vaults them ahead of alchemical gear. Was that really your intention Bob? I think making them faster is a good idea, making them BY FAR the fastest potion slot item is going way too far. Please reconsider. smile
    Azure_Zero
    We need to empty the freaking Vaults of the crap tons of tokens so it's fine for now,
    wait about 2 years and the vaults might be drained enough that it could be fixed.
    Bringslite
    Tokens have always been a bane to any real chance for an Alchemist Economy and that is a shame considering the work put into Alchemy. In the long run(IMO), the real solution would be to:
    -lessen low lvl drop frequency for mid-high lvl characters (at least what drops from what mobs)
    -increase pot use speed/activation to this new token speed
    -add some other uses for the masses of tokens collected

but

as a "quick adjust", it's worth a shot.
    Virtute et Armis
    -Unknown
    Bob
    The balance between tokens and crafted consumables will likely bounce around a bit as we keep refining things. The ultimate goal is for tokens to be just powerful enough to make their use rewarding and low-friction enough that they get used up about as fast as they drop. Ideally, you shouldn't really have to think too carefully about when to use tokens, and should instead just use them if you have them. In that sense, having them take any significant amount of time means they're competing with even just firing off another attack, and we don't really want them to compete with anything.

The goal for crafted consumables is to make them compelling enough to purchase and equip before going out adventuring, but still costly enough that you don't want to use them unnecessarily. You should save them for when they'll have the most impact. As such, it's not so bad for them to take a long time, as long as their effectiveness is balanced out for any delays.

This change doesn't really get us all the way to our goals, but it does lower the friction on using tokens. Doing so does in some sense raise their value compared to crafted consumables, but they're still much less powerful overall. For example, one of the simplest comparisons is between a Lesser Token of Curing and an Apprentice's Cure Potion. Both do roughly the same thing, but the potion is well over twice as effective (not counting activation speed) as the token, healing 900 compared to 435 and providing 5 rounds of a 10% regeneration bonus compared to 6 rounds of a 3% regeneration bonus. On top of that, the potion scales up in effectiveness with upgrades, all the way to a 70% increase at +5.

We do have some longer-term thoughts to make both tokens and crafted consumables easier and more rewarding to use, but they're not as trivial to implement as these changes were. I'm open to other small changes along the way. I'll admit I tend to think the overall effectiveness of crafted consumables does a pretty good job of making up for both their cost and slower speed. However, my opinion's a bit more mixed on letting everyone equip larger stacks of crafted consumables.

Adjusting the drop rates for tokens is also possible, but tokens are currently intertwined with salvage items in a way that makes things tricky. The most feasible thing would probably be to trade off increased rates of Tier X Salvage for decreased rates of Tier X Tokens. That wouldn't be trivial, but it wouldn't involve too much work. Anything more nuanced than that would require quite a bit of spreadsheet work.
    Maxen
    Would adding more consumable slots be considered a "small change". If you want me to use more consumables, I need to be able to slot more than two consumable types. The only thing my characters ever have slotted are heal and resistance tokens. You're going to now allow us to slot 50 of tokens in 2 slots. I'd rather be able to slot 20 each in 5 different slots. That's how you make them easier to use in battle. Otherwise, I have to come out of combat and deftly switch tokens from my inventory to my paper doll. And I can guarantee you there is nothing ever deft about that. It usually results in me having zero tokens slotted. smile
    Bob
    Adding more slots involves a fair amount of work, and part of that is definitely a code change. It's one of the things we're thinking of doing longer-term.
    You are a Troll
    Well, as anyone knows who plays the game regularly, three-tenths of a second activation FAR outweighs the lesser amount of healing the token does. You just utterly squashed the usefulness of crafted alchemicals. Why did you feel the need to move SO FAR from the tokens original 21 tenths of a second activation? Don't ya think maybe halving the speed (while adding ability to stack FIFTY!) might have been a good first pass instead an 86% reduction down to the very fastest thing in the whole entire game? Talk about a sledgehammer approach!

Adding MORE consumable slots is a bad idea too. Meaningful choices and all. Remember, this is not just a PvE game.
    Bringslite
    Just make lesser tokens an ingredient for something up the line like greater or better tokens, something new like "badges" with buff/heals or a new currency for something or other. Maybe ingredients for enchanting?

You have time to ponder it now if you see that this was a move but not necessarily a move that turns out to do much that you wanted. I still think that tokens compete too directly with Alchemical Items but I respect that you don't feel that way.
    Virtute et Armis
    -Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post