Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Unity Upgrade and Native Linux support

Azure_Zero
Given announcement that the Game's engine will be getting an upgrade.
I ask the Devs to add to the list during the upgrading that Native Linux gets some support, or at the very least Keep or improve the game running on Linux via WINE. If you op for the latter the patcher needs some serious work.

I know that the Unity Engine is cross and multi platform and that is it easy to setup the engine and editor to make sure it'll be easy to port to various Operating Systems.

Reason I put this out there is cause when January 2020 rolls around, All Windows 7 support ends (and that is currently 50% what all desktops are running world wide)
And Not every Windows 7 user will be going to that piece of Spyware known as Windows 10 when the support for Windows 7 ends.
Some Will stick with Windows 7, Some will move to Linux, Some will Move to Mac, Some might move to ReactOS even if it'll be in beta, and some will sell their soul and go with Windows 10.
Bob
It's certainly a possibility, and upgrading to the latest version of Unity may very well make it easier to support Linux than it would be now. However, there would still be at least some work involved, both in upfront work and in on-going support/testing, so we'll have to consider the costs and benefits at that time.
Azure_Zero
If you need a Linux tester, I'll can be one of them, and I have a few systems that can be used for Testing.
As my Old Core 2 Duo running Linux can even run PFO in WINE, minding the rare "Thread Context" crash.
Though I'll be checking back on that at the end of the year as the Current Distro on the Duo is nearing End of Life.
So I could be a tester for a Few Distros and hardware setups.

And If Goblin works wants a good user friendly Linux Distro to start with,
I'd recommend either Zorin OS, or Linux Mint.
Azure_Zero
Oh a note for increasing WINE compatibility for the Windows version of PFO, should the Linux version be canned/shelved.
Change the Windows version rendering core from DirectX to OpenGL.
It'll remove the problems WINE has with DirectX 10 and up that the latest versions of Unity uses.
Bob
DirectX vs. OpenGL is something we could experiment with further at some point. Sadly, there usually turn out to be various forgotten dependencies in large projects like ours that result in unforeseen complications, though it's usually possible to work around those eventually.
Bringslite
Bob
DirectX vs. OpenGL is something we could experiment with further at some point. Sadly, there usually turn out to be various forgotten dependencies in large projects like ours that result in unforeseen complications, though it's usually possible to work around those eventually.
Large projects like WoW have allowed player made "Add-Ons" that they have vetted. These "Add-Ons" really facilitate character management and "quality of life" features. It could possibly (if there enough player interest) take large amounts of work off of your plate. In some ways. Any chance that in the switch to "Modern Unity" that you might look into something like that?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Bob

The only thing I could think of that would cause an issue is having HLSL shaders rather then GLSL shaders.
But given you have a Mac version PFO, I Really doubt Goblinworks will have any issues switching the rendering Core from Direct X to OpenGL.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Bob

The only thing I could think of that would cause an issue is having HLSL shaders rather then GLSL shaders.
But given you have a Mac version PFO, I REALLY doubt Goblinworks will have any issues switching the rendering Core from Direct X to OpenGL.

Most likely such a change would go pretty smoothly, though we don't really even have the option right now with the current version of Unity we're on. For that version, all we can do is use a command line parameter to force the game to run in OpenGL, we can't really change how the base game is built until we upgrade at least a little. When we get to that point, we could try it out (assuming we can easily make the change throughout our build pipeline) and see if it results in any performance/compatibility issues for various subsets of players.
Bob
Bringslite
Large projects like WoW have allowed player made "Add-Ons" that they have vetted. These "Add-Ons" really facilitate character management and "quality of life" features. It could possibly (if there enough player interest) take large amounts of work off of your plate. In some ways. Any chance that in the switch to "Modern Unity" that you might look into something like that?

Even after the upgrade, I suspect adding that kind of capability would be a pretty large undertaking.
Azure_Zero
Believe Me I would of Liked it if Unity Offered a Vulkan rendering core option.
Vulkan would be offering speed, features and Multi-OS support, though given Apple's current isolationist ideas on APIs, Macs would be stuck with OpenGL 3.2 since Apple doesn't want Vulkan, but their Metal API to be used.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post