Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Unity Upgrade and Native Linux support

Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
Bob
DirectX vs. OpenGL is something we could experiment with further at some point. Sadly, there usually turn out to be various forgotten dependencies in large projects like ours that result in unforeseen complications, though it's usually possible to work around those eventually.

The only thing I could think of that would cause an issue is having HLSL shaders rather then GLSL shaders.
But given you have a Mac version PFO, I REALLY doubt Goblinworks will have any issues switching the rendering Core from Direct X to OpenGL.

Most likely such a change would go pretty smoothly, though we don't really even have the option right now with the current version of Unity we're on. For that version, all we can do is use a command line parameter to force the game to run in OpenGL, we can't really change how the base game is built until we upgrade at least a little. When we get to that point, we could try it out (assuming we can easily make the change throughout our build pipeline) and see if it results in any performance/compatibility issues for various subsets of players.

If you need a tester I don't mind being one.
I just need a FPS counter in the game to see performance and manually note problems for compatibility.
Bob
Azure_Zero
I just need a FPS counter in the game to see performance and manually note problems for compatibility.

Any change along these lines would definitely be available on Zog for quite a while so everyone could see how it would affect them, and I believe everyone can view FPS using the chat command /ToggleFps.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero

Any change along these lines would definitely be available on Zog for quite a while so everyone could see how it would affect them, and I believe everyone can view FPS using the chat command /ToggleFps.

Should add that command to the Manual for PFO.

Nice to know that Zog could be used as a test bed for compatibility when switching the Rendering core.
Could even make an option for Windows users to Switch rendering cores, though I'd recommend then setting OpenGL as the default rendering core for the windows version.

Having the toggle command already there is great, though we should have a page listing Every console command….
Bob
I added /ToggleFps to the Chat Commands forum. There is a Chat Commands entry in the Help now, with some of the most commonly used commands listed, but this is one of those questionable ones. Someday we'll put together a complete list, but that's a bit of an undertaking.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post