Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Unity Upgrade and Native Linux support

Rynnik
Azure_Zero
I think that is the Network connection, Up/Down datarate in bits(or Bytes) per second.
ie Ping?

Isn't that really bad? I wonder if part of the reason PFO plays so 'squishy' for me is actually my pretty bad internet rather than anything to do with the state of the game.

I wonder what impact unity/cloud migration will have if any. Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread from Linux.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
If it runs natively in Linux you won't need to worry about WINE so much,
since WINE stands for; Windows Interface Not Emulation.

Very true, just figuring WINE support is the thing we might be able to just magically get as part of the upgrade, if we make the right choices, whereas running natively almost definitely requires additional work. Won't know until we're further down that road.

I do recall when I started doing some Unity tutorials about two years ago, you could easily set the platform support of the engine.
Azure_Zero
Rynnik
Azure_Zero
I think that is the Network connection, Up/Down datarate in bits(or Bytes) per second.
ie Ping?

Isn't that really bad? I wonder if part of the reason PFO plays so 'squishy' for me is actually my pretty bad internet rather than anything to do with the state of the game.

I wonder what impact unity/cloud migration will have if any. Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread from Linux.

Not Ping, as ping is a ICMP echo request
And I have very similar numbers, so I'd say your likely on a asymmetrical internet connection, and the game runs fine for me, and I can run about 7 clients on my system at once and not even eat all the RAM I have, but I do cap out my CPU.
So I'd check your system specs, and if your running Win10, know that it is a pig on resources and gets worse about every 6 months.
Bob
Azure_Zero
I do recall when I started doing some Unity tutorials about two years ago, you could easily set the platform support of the engine.

That's still pretty true, but there's a whole process to making our builds, and each version has its own scripts/settings that would need to be set up. Not sure how much work that would involve, just know it's not free. The other issue would just be that would only give us an executable (and the necessary files that go with it), not a Linux installer or patcher, and those are always more of a pain than they should be. Then again, maybe the Linux version would just have to go without those niceties for a while.

In the end, there's always at least a little work adding another version into the mix, and little things add up quickly.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero

That's still pretty true, but there's a whole process to making our builds, and each version has its own scripts/settings that would need to be set up. Not sure how much work that would involve, just know it's not free. The other issue would just be that would only give us an executable (and the necessary files that go with it), not a Linux installer or patcher, and those are always more of a pain than they should be. Then again, maybe the Linux version would just have to go without those niceties for a while.

In the end, there's always at least a little work adding another version into the mix, and little things add up quickly.

Bob, I had PFO running with WINE on Linux before the patcher came out and it worked fine, when the patcher came it required me to use a Windows system to get all the updates.
Cole Brown
Rynnik
Azure_Zero
ie Ping?

It is the data rate, not the latency. Or another way to put it: bandwidth not delay.

It is how much data your client sends up to the servers and how much you receive down from the servers. I'm pretty sure "BPS" means "bits per second", but COVID has me 3 computers deep and the best game-source-code computer isn't plugged in right now. It is useful if you're working on the game's networking layer. Less useful otherwise…

High ping does do 'squishy' things in video games - rubber banding, teleporting, etc - but you won't see that in the ShowFPS window.
Rynnik
Thank you VERY much Cole and Azure_Zero. Painful explaining to a dullard I'm sure. smile

Last derail question I promise. Is there a /TogglePing and if not will there likely be someday? I run around 70-80 playing league of legends and 110ish playing Darkfall: RoA for example so after that description/conversation I'm curious to compare PFO.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Bob, I had PFO running with WINE on Linux before the patcher came out and it worked fine, when the patcher came it required me to use a Windows system to get all the updates.

Yeah, I always forget exactly where we're at with WINE and/or Linux, since nobody here has messed with it in quite some time. My hope is that we can make the right choices during the Unity upgrade to get/maintain the ability to run with WINE, possibly with some improvements through things like switching to OpenGL if that turns out to be appropriate, and then build from there. There may also be a workaround to the patcher issues that's something short of an actual Linux patcher, but I'm pretty sure any solution is going to take at least some research and implementation time.
Cole Brown
Rynnik
Thank you VERY much Cole and Azure_Zero. Painful explaining to a dullard I'm sure. smile

Last derail question I promise. Is there a /TogglePing and if not will there likely be someday? I run around 70-80 playing league of legends and 110ish playing Darkfall: RoA for example so after that description/conversation I'm curious to compare PFO.

No ping command currently. It would be in the "Nice To Have, Somedayâ„¢" unless y'all crowd forge it up higher, I think.

PFO is just the one world, so just the one server cluster, so your ping is (should be) relatively static. You could get pretty close if you just run a ping command against something in Seattle, or speed test to Seattle and look at the ping that gives you…
Azure_Zero
I wonder what'll be happening to the Mac support since Apple is gonna start using ARM CPUs instead of x86_x64 CPUs?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post