Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Unity Upgrade and Native Linux support

Bob
Azure_Zero
I wonder what'll be happening to the Mac support since Apple is gonna start using ARM CPUs instead of x86_x64 CPUs?
Haven't done a ton of research on this yet, but it looks like the Macs with ARM CPUs will continue to support most apps built for x86_x64 CPUs for a while. Won't run quite as well as they could, I'm sure, but probably better than running on an older Mac.

This kind of thing is also why we need to update to the latest version of Unity, and then stay up-to-date as we go, since we let Unity handle all these build issues for the game client. Definitely not going to get an ARM build out of our current Unity version.
Edam
Bob
Haven't done a ton of research on this yet, but it looks like the Macs with ARM CPUs will continue to support most apps built for x86_x64 CPUs for a while. Won't run quite as well as they could, I'm sure, but probably better than running on an older Mac.

Though apparently they will not support boot camp.

So will the new Unity bring us Ps5 or XBox ports then ? smile
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
I wonder what'll be happening to the Mac support since Apple is gonna start using ARM CPUs instead of x86_x64 CPUs?

This kind of thing is also why we need to update to the latest version of Unity, and then stay up-to-date as we go, since we let Unity handle all these build issues for the game client. Definitely not going to get an ARM build out of our current Unity version.

Apps as in iPhone apps or as in Desktop applications,
since from what I'm hearing a lot of desktop software will not be running on it out the door on the new ARM processors.
Flari-Merchant
Bob,
If you or Cole know at this stage, it might be interesting to read about what this upgrade will do for the game play, look, your increased coding flexibility and new opportunities, etc…

All this tech talk is wonderful but useless to a complete tech idiot like myself. smile

What makes this upgrade worth hanging on for?

If this has already been posted maybe someone can help a guy with a link or post title?
Azure_Zero
Flari-Merchant
Bob,
If you or Cole know at this stage, it might be interesting to read about what this upgrade will do for the game play, look, your increased coding flexibility and new opportunities, etc…

All this tech talk is wonderful but useless to a complete tech idiot like myself. smile

If this has already been posted maybe someone can help a guy with a link or post title?

I'll put it as simple as possible;
current engine is over 10 years old,
it's hard to work with,
can't accept art/content from other Computer based Pathfinder games,
platform restricted,
graphics system is old and can't do pretty things and is slow.

new engine is current
new engine will be easier to work with,
new engine can accept art/content from other Computer based Pathfinder games,
new platforms for the game to run on,
graphics system current can do many pretty things and run faster then current engine.
Bob
Edam
So will the new Unity bring us Ps5 or XBox ports then ? smile
Easy-peasy.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Apps as in iPhone apps or as in Desktop applications,
since from what I'm hearing a lot of desktop software will not be running on it out the door on the new ARM processors.
I saw some mention that on desktop they'll translate x86 code into Arm code on the fly, but my guess is that some desktop software takes advantage of x86 features that can't be translated. I don't know where games built on old versions of Unity will fall on that spectrum, but Apple will have at least some incentive to keep as many older games running as they can. However, it looks like Unity is prepping for the switch so, we should be fine on that front once we've upgraded.

The bigger question would be things like the Patcher and Installer, which we usually don't need to mess with much. Hopefully they just use simple features and are easily translated to ARM, but we won't really know until we're a bit further down the road and can try it out. If not, then we'll have to do a bit more upgrade work on those, but we'd certainly prefer to avoid it unless it offers compelling advantages, which seems unlikely for those particular apps.
Bob
Flari-Merchant

Azure hit on the major points, but a vague list of the advantages was posted here. We're specific on that list where we have high confidence in getting that exact advantage, and more vague where we're confident we'll get some advantages but aren't exactly sure how it will play out.

One specific thing I will mention though is that we're hoping the Unity upgrade will finally fix all the full-screen/alt-tab related issues that many of you are having. Those are problems that have cropped up in certain versions of Unity, then been fixed in others, then broken again in later versions. We just happen to be stuck on one of the broken versions. It sounds like Unity got a handle on that a while back, so we have very high hopes.
Flari-Merchant
Thank you to both Azure and Bob.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post