Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Cash Shop Suggestions

Stilachio Thrax
Anything that touches critical systems- such as XP generation, character combat ability, influence generation, bulk generation- should definitely be out of the picture. I'd prefer the store to focus on cosmetics and quality of life/utility things that don't affect critical systems, but may make your life in game better (freeholds and base camps work like this).
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Drizzle
Stilachio Thrax
Anything that touches critical systems- such as XP generation, character combat ability, influence generation, bulk generation- should definitely be out of the picture. I'd prefer the store to focus on cosmetics and quality of life/utility things that don't affect critical systems, but may make your life in game better (freeholds and base camps work like this).

I would say the original suggestions fall into that category.
plopmania
As Troll and Thrax have put forth, it is fairly important to steer clear of cash shop items that are in the "obviously pay2win" category. Since PFO hasn't been designed with a thriving microtransaction market in mind, it is a little hard to come up with items in the "micro" category. The current offerings and those suggested in the opening are very, very expensive items for a cash shop. In order to generate money, the cash shop would need to be able to offer a range of products that alleviate small frustrations and are fairly inexpensive. For many people, it is much easier to pay 2 dollars 5 times a month than 10 dollars once a month.

So, one of the questions to put forth would be "How should the game mechanics be changes in order to facilitate inexpensive (both for the players and graphics) cash shop items?". Sure, it is a little bit annoying to retro-actively fit cash shop friendly mechanics into the game, but it may be something that needs to be done.

And if you don't give 2 coppers about that, how about an item/service suggestion:
Access all settlement interfaces though one building or a separate interface when the player is inside his own settlement. This feature could be part of a more premium subscription or something like $1/1 hour.

A small time saving benefit for small cost.
(If this benefit would make some settlement defense/conquering mechanics moot, remove those from the benefit)
Bringslite
I wonder how well limited run T3 recipes would sell for if they were fairly inexpensive?

You have a ready to go "re sellable item" there if you can figure out how to make it "limited run".
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
I wonder how well limited run T3 recipes would sell for if they were fairly inexpensive?

You have a ready to go "re sellable item" there if you can figure out how to make it "limited run".

Something like that would need to be Bound to Character only. But it opens up a slippery slope to offering T3 expendables- which by design are meant to be difficult to acquire. We don't need a situation where dropping real money gets you a complete complement of expendables instantly, when most players who don't spend RL money can search for years for the right expendables.
Virtus et Honor

Azure_Zero
I think variants of Freeholds and Camps would be a good start point.

Another could be an Item that acts as a Bomb that forcefully closes down and shuts down any Freeholds and Camps in the hex sending them to the closest NPC town Vault.
Great for purging out freeholdings (and it's variants) in hexes you don't control.
Bringslite
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite

Something like that would need to be Bound to Character only. But it opens up a slippery slope to offering T3 expendables- which by design are meant to be difficult to acquire. We don't need a situation where dropping real money gets you a complete complement of expendables instantly, when most players who don't spend RL money can search for years for the right expendables.
I'm not suggesting expendables here. Just recipes. Though "expendables" could be interesting through "timer based" scrolls and potions or limited charges gear.
None of these things are powers that can't be found "in game" (except the limited use part) and none would have to be permanent items.

I am not sure how hard it is to maintain this game's operations with this player base, but I have the feeling that more money coming in might help speed development toward more polish and so a larger player base. That just keeps building on itself and makes everything better if used wisely.

It comes down to whether wee want to see progress faster (larger team) or what we have is fast enough to keep us all satisfied/occupied. Bob and Cole are awesome yet they are only humans after all… I do agree that cash shop really should be done with as much forethought and care as possible though.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
I am not sure how hard it is to maintain this game's operations with this player base, but I have the feeling that more money coming in might help speed development toward more polish and so a larger player base. That just keeps building on itself and makes everything better if used wisely.

It comes down to whether wee want to see progress faster (larger team) or what we have is fast enough to keep us all satisfied/occupied. Bob and Cole are awesome yet they are only humans after all… I do agree that cash shop really should be done with as much forethought and care as possible though.

That kind of revenue generation is going to require more than an expanded cash shop. It means getting more players willing to sub long-term, which a cash shop isn't going to particularly help. Heck, most gamers I know won't even consider a game that isn't "F2P" or doesn't have a free trial. They won't pay for anything until they can try it.
Virtus et Honor

Bringslite
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite

That kind of revenue generation is going to require more than an expanded cash shop. It means getting more players willing to sub long-term, which a cash shop isn't going to particularly help. Heck, most gamers I know won't even consider a game that isn't "F2P" or doesn't have a free trial. They won't pay for anything until they can try it.
That is probably true. I am fairly sure that a lucrative cash shop would help but only to a limited extent. Money to pay freelancers for projects to do stuff that Bob and Cole could be freed from would make sense, though you need players to buy stuff from the shop. That takes players!

Something's gotta give somewhere, sooner or later. There are probably more than a few things that would eventually get more players in game. What to do first? I can only guess that getting more players in first (however) would be best.

Cash shop ideas are really just speculating and not meant for priority. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
NightmareSr
Is there a reason that only 1 base camp or freehold can be used at a time? I can see only 1 active base camp or just 1 active freehold, but what is the downside to having an active freehold and an active base camp? Seems like if both could be active in different areas then more people would buy one of each, but maybe enough people do that anyway? It just seemed odd to me.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare –

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post