Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Speaking of Options...

Bringslite
Hi Bob,

I remember some few times (way back) reading some ideas about converting raw materials to Bulk resources at an expensive ratio. How trivial or difficult would it be to do something along those lines?

Thanks!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Hmm, I'm not remembering those conversations, but perhaps I just need a reminder to jog my memory. I didn't find anything with a quick search, but if any of you can point me toward something along those lines, I could probably get a better handle on what was discussed and what thoughts we might've already had on that topic here. I'd have some concerns about such a system bypassing the desired market systems, since ultimately you're supposed to be able to convert anything by selling things you don't need and using the proceeds to purchase the things you do need. It's possible that a high enough expense ratio would make conversion a viable alternative in desperate times, while still leaving trade/conquest as the only truly viable long-term methods for supporting a settlement, but that could be a tricky balance.

In terms of difficulty, it would really depend on how much we can leverage the systems and data that are already in place. We could do this using recipes, but we'd probably need to add a few new capabilities, like refining recipes that don't result in pluses (since bulk resources don't have pluses), and possibly a third stock value for raw materials. That wouldn't be trivial, but likely wouldn't be too hard. I suspect that would make the most sense and be the easiest way to implement something like this.
Bringslite
No worries, Bob. Purely a selfish question as I am getting pretty burned out moving bulk around for settlement and holding fodder. Already working on reducing those chores in other ways though, so that just might help cure that!

Thanks for the speedy response.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
If you need Bulk resources, you can buy or trade bulk from a Keepers of the High Covenant settlement.
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
If you need Bulk resources, you can buy or trade bulk from a Keepers of the High Covenant settlement.
Thanks. I don't. Just sick of having to move them so far.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
Thanks. I don't. Just sick of having to move them so far.

I know what you mean, it is a pain to move them around.
It's one reason why I go for the self-sufficient holding-outpost combinations when I can,
and suck it up when I have to supply external bulk to the Holdings that require it.
That and the mule runs for it all takes hours to do, to the point where I reserve a day for complete bulk resource moving.
Azure_Zero
Now I do recall there was talk of making a caravan option for moving the bulk resources.
Bringslite
It is time consuming and not my idea of how I want to spend my game playing time which is more limited now than in the past. The price that we have to pay to stay effective at the levels that we have earned, I suppose…

It would be much more easy if there were some population. I hope that I don't seem more bitter about this situation than I am. There are ways to reduce "Bulk Burden" and I intend to continue working on them.

There was recent talk about "auto caravans", yes. That sounds pretty interesting. I hope it gets some more attention. Otherwise, back before even Alpha Phase (I think), I remember someone posting a question about whether "Bulk" and "raw mats" might be convertible with each other. It is lost somewhere in the old Paizo forum or maybe a town meeting thingy… Can't remember exactly except I think it was Lee or possibly Ryan answered and said they were considering it. I don't even think it was a "solid" for the design. Just a passing question someone posed. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Agreed, Moving Bulk in NOT fun.
And Would be better if there was folks to help do the burden of moving the bulk around.

Caravans might be a good answer especially if we could also get the bulk from the Dead companies that still have holdings and no one running the company.
Smitty
Not sure what to say -
You want to turn 5 pounds of worthless junk into 1 pound of bulk ( and that worthless junk can be what ever you want it to be- )
- this way you can do everything to run a settlement in a high security ring - thereby removing even a remote possibility that you are engaged in a medium/low hex with a mule while moving bulk ..??

Yes mules suck - yes moving bulk sucks - but mules carry a decent amount 12k easily for T2 .. AND you are going to spend far less in one way mules resources- than you would have to spend to make bulk for a week -

Or you can ask for folks to import it for you – some newer folks could think running a mule is fun! At least till they hit a bridge - or a blade of grass..

Explore the caravan thing - but keep in mind I want to rob those things .

.The conversion seems like a bad idea - even though , I like you would much rather run gushers around my town and build influence with alts standing around me - rather than running a mule across 20 hexes for bulk ..

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post