Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Settlement and Hex security settings

Maxen
You are a Troll
Coin is meaningless (as you say); bulk isn't. No one will blink an eye to pay coin for keeping their hexes high sec, but they might think twice if it eats into the bulk that hex produces smile

So find a way for coin to mean something. That alone will fix a number of problems with this game. But don’t tax something that has already been balanced for its intended purpose of settlement upkeep. Again, generation of bulk has nothing to do with hex security. I don’t generate more or less bulk because of the security level. Having to “pay” guards to maintain a high security level or not “pay” guards who end up looking the other way when trouble is afoot is much more logical. Fix coin and give it another reason to hold value.
Stilachio Thrax
A reasonable coin cost for high and low sec? Ok. Additional bulk costs for high and low sec? Absolutely not. Dealing with bulk is a big enough pain in the ass now. And let's not pretend that low sec is some type of burden to gameplay- I'd be willing to bet anyone setting hexes to low sec is actively looking for PVP. Their gameplay choice should not be preferenced.

Further, this really smells of trying to force PVP gameplay on as many people and as in as many places as possible. You want PVP? Go to badlands and monster hexes, they are low sec. Make your own hexes low sec. Declare a feud. Other player's are not responsible for providing you entertainment at the expense of their gameplay. I suspect the real issue with lack of PVP isn't high sec hexes, but lack of any player population and the few still here being far too spread out.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Bringslite
What I am most curious about is how anyone ever expects coin to have any value at all if it isn't needed for more things. Both Bulk and coin are needed to run a settlement. Why not also to run a holding? You don't want to loot coin from holdings someday?

As far as I am concerned, some small detail work on the Security Levels system is a great idea, but not at the cost of adding more "stick" to the game in the form of requiring both more holdings to run a settlement and more work to haul Bulk around.

Another puzzle: where was all this PVP BEFORE the sec level system was added?

Finale puzzle: Do the few hollering for a new "chore making mechanic built only their way" grasp the importance that it is fine to have a game that includes PVP, but the market is better (willing players wise) to have some feeling of relative safety also in the description? It'll go much further(IMO) if it includes that. Look around the internet. Does PVP seem like a great idea for PfO at all to the people that talk about it?

Building the game that GW wanted had at its core the ability to include PVP but with built in compromises.

For random PVP enthusiasts, your problem isn't about The Sec System (it has hardly been really tested). It is about your mature characters being unable to generate Influence and a lack of players romping around the map.

Edit: Pretty much beat me to the point, Maxen and Stilachio! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Bringslite
What I am most curious about is how anyone ever expects coin to have any value at all if it isn't needed for more things. Both Bulk and coin are needed to run a settlement. Why not also to run a holding? You don't want to loot coin from holdings someday?

As far as I am concerned, some small detail work on the Security Levels system is a great idea, but not at the cost of adding more "stick" to the game in the form of requiring both more holdings to run a settlement and more work to haul Bulk around.

There was PVP before the Sec system came in, even if it was rare.
The benefit of High Sec currently does NOT match the cost at all.

Bringslite
Finale puzzle: Do the few hollering for a new "chore making mechanic built only their way" grasp the importance that it is fine to have a game that includes PVP, but the market is better (willing players wise) to have some feeling of relative safety also in the description? It'll go much further(IMO) if it includes that. Look around the internet. Does PVP seem like a great idea for PFO at all to the people that talk about it?

Building the game that GW wanted had at its core the ability to include PVP but with built in compromises.

That player safely should be easy for new players and or weaker settlements to have access to, NOT the High End can do anything settlements.
Compromise is a two way street; Both the PVPers and the Non-PVPers need to sacrifice something.

Bringslite
For random PVP enthusiasts, your problem isn't about The Sec System (it has hardly been really tested). It is about your mature characters being unable to generate Influence and a lack of players romping around the map.

I'm Not Pro-PVP, but I do acknowledge it is needed and the current setup is too protective of Non-PVP groups all the way to Max level.

The Problem is the Sec system, it needs fixing and balancing of the cost for Each Security setting,
this NEEDS to happen and the Non-PVP groups may not like the coming costs and may start needing to sacrifice the security of their outer territory.
Right now bandits can't be bandits due to the High Sec areas where their prey shelter's itself, and the High sec groups say just feud us for your PVP, and what happens when they are feuded is they stash the goods and hide in their settlement for the feud or Company hop.
Bringslite
Yeah I suck at sorting and editing posts. Eventually I'll be charged and convicted for it. smile Until then plz understand that all The Bold junk are responses to Azure comments. Sorry for the mess.

Azure_Zero
Bringslite

There was PVP before the Sec system came in, even if it was rare.
The benefit of High Sec currently does NOT match the cost at all.

That is simply not true. There was little before and PVPers were arguing that feuds cost too much and rep penalties were too high. Asking for fixing those will be next after wrecking the Sec System. After Sec settings came in there has been the same-little to none.

Bringslite
Finale puzzle: Do the few hollering for a new "chore making mechanic built only their way" grasp the importance that it is fine to have a game that includes PVP, but the market is better (willing players wise) to have some feeling of relative safety also in the description? It'll go much further(IMO) if it includes that. Look around the internet. Does PVP seem like a great idea for PFO at all to the people that talk about it?

That player safely should be easy for new players and or weaker settlements to have access to, NOT the High End can do anything settlements. How will raising costs to have it help smaller groups and new players?
Compromise is a two way street; Both the PVPers and the Non-PVPers need to sacrifice something.

What I am getting here is that either you don't grasp things I am trying to communicate or that you just disagree. That's cool.
You raise the issue of compromise?
Feuds Trump High Sec.
Do you see anyone asking for a mechanic to Trump Low Sec? One example of imbalance.
The map is not covered by High Security Hexes. Sorry but it just ain't. There are lots of hexes that can't be secured and lots set Low-Med Sec.
The best stuff is in the hexes that CAN'T have security. Why not show up there for PVP? Having Some hexes that "you can't PVP in" narrows the places you have to search for opponents.
Again, I would love to see more PVP but I like riding with buddies and doing it organized. I am not into roaming and ganking. I think it is toxic to games when unrestricted. Smart game developers agree.

Bringslite

I'm Not Pro-PVP, but I do acknowledge it is needed and the current setup is too protective of Non-PVP groups all the way to Max level.

The Problem is the Sec system, it needs fixing and balancing of the cost for Each Security setting,
this NEEDS to happen and the Non-PVP groups may not like the coming costs and may start needing to sacrifice the security of their outer territory.
Right now bandits can't be bandits due to the High Sec areas where their prey shelter's itself, and the High sec groups say just feud us for your PVP, and what happens when they are feuded is they stash the goods and hide in their settlement for the feud or Company hop.

First, whatever "prey' you think hangs out in High Sec hexes is a mystery to me. It is an assumption that you have gotten somewhere that isn't true. You can find players to attack in the hexes that can't be Secured. Why would we be in High Sec except to buy, craft, bank, AFK, etc… IN SETTLEMENTS or passing through High Sec Territory to get to low Sec areas.
So your argument that bandits can't get to their prey is silly. Bandits can't get to their prey because A) they don't want to look in areas the "prey" can be found and B) there is hardly any "prey" playing PfO.

I am fine with adding costs to Security Settings. I will always be against adding more chore upon chore being part of those costs.

Edit: Again, Azure, thanks for answering some of those questions and the debate. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Azure_Zero
I also hope my idea of a Holding Security effecting Monster/Home hexes is one that Goblinworks would look at.

We're open to things along those lines. For the moment, hex security was just a really quick, simple system we could put in to give companies a greater sense of control over the territory they'd claimed. We've always intended to add more depth to that area of the game over time.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
I also hope my idea of a Holding Security effecting Monster/Home hexes is one that Goblinworks would look at.

We're open to things along those lines. For the moment, hex security was just a really quick, simple system we could put in to give companies a greater sense of control over the territory they'd claimed. We've always intended to add more depth to that area of the game over time.

Sweet,
Thanks Bob.

I hope the pseudo code design notes I posted for it give a good starting framework for implementation.
Edam
Keepers Pass always set the core 6 and a few other relevant local hexes to high for the protection of customers at our Auction House and the rest to low. We have far more low security hexes then high.
Bringslite
Edam
Keepers Pass always set the core 6 and a few other relevant local hexes to high for the protection of customers at our Auction House and the rest to low. We have far more low security hexes then high.
Aye that is your choice. What do you think about The OP's proposal and the ability of other groups to choose?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Bringslite
Edam
Aye that is your choice. What do you think about The OP's proposal and the ability of other groups to choose?

No real opinion, as I said we run most of our hexes low. The entire SE corner of the map is low security if people want to go down there and run around madly and kill each other there they are free to destroy gear and "create content" to their hearts content. Be warned you may spend a week down there without seeing another soul though.

That said it makes sense that higher security should cost more to maintain from a commonsense and also roleplay perspective. All those extra patrols etc. However if you impose it as a new fee or cost there will be riots. Instead maybe add some benefits to medium and low security. For example mules at lower level holdings or extra guards at your holdings or a slight boost to your holding bonuses every level or two.

Carrot not stick smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post