Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 16 Release Notes

You are a Troll
Bob
When everything in a particular internal spreadsheet is acceptable for public consumption, it's a pretty easy copy/paste to add that to the public spreadsheet. The only real slowdown there is that there are just so many tabs in the public spreadsheet at this point. Perhaps we could automate the process a bit more, but it works pretty well for now in those cases.

I find it laughable that you can post this at the same time you post that you cannot update something like the
Goblinary so the game is actually playable. No longer can we point new players to the Goblinary as it is now out of date with the entire Enchanting system (and updates to holdings, outposts and a few other things before that) missing from it. I think a strong argument could be made that PFO is nigh unplayable without the information parsed in a way that is actually usable like the Goblinary does. Telling us to try and decipher the public spreadsheets and extract the information we need to play the game is absurd. Shame on Goblin Works & Paizo. smile
NightmareSr
Thanks Bob, I suppose it is just harder this time cause of the new from scratch enchanting tabs.
I wish I knew how to code or whatever to update goblinary, but the public spreadsheet is at least a good interim solution. Eventually (before big efforts to add players) new players will need a more usable form though I suspect.
– Thanks for the huge work and clarification Bob.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare –
Bringslite
You are a Troll
Bob
When everything in a particular internal spreadsheet is acceptable for public consumption, it's a pretty easy copy/paste to add that to the public spreadsheet. The only real slowdown there is that there are just so many tabs in the public spreadsheet at this point. Perhaps we could automate the process a bit more, but it works pretty well for now in those cases.

I find it laughable that you can post this at the same time you post that you cannot update something like the
Goblinary so the game is actually playable. No longer can we point new players to the Goblinary as it is now out of date with the entire Enchanting system (and updates to holdings, outposts and a few other things before that) missing from it. I think a strong argument could be made that PFO is nigh unplayable without the information parsed in a way that is actually usable like the Goblinary does. Telling us to try and decipher the public spreadsheets and extract the information we need to play the game is absurd. Shame of Goblin Works & Paizo. smile

Without my judging whether this is a great stance of GW/Paizo toward the situation at hand, I feel like GW/Paizo has (so far to this point) been directing very limited resources toward finishing their last published "Road Map". Enchanting was definitely part of that just as much as an up-to-date "Play Guide" was/is. Resources are pretty limited though and multiple extensive projects developed simultaneously are simply beyond reason ATM. So Let them finish up Enchantment to a reasonable working state. Maybe then we can cajole them into a bare bones guide for all the current systems or at least some plain English articles for all major systems which could later be used for a better "Guide Book" for the game.

Totally agree that such is needed "soon" rather than later. I just see that there are many limitations on resources. I also "see/grasp" that writing a comprehensive guide for a system really should come AFTER you have at least a bare bones "working system". Kind of a "put the horse in front of the cart" type of thing. Makes some sense to know what is in the CART first though. OR, think of it like having the cart (Whatever System) loaded and ready before you get/choose the best animal/horse (Guide) to pull it.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
You are a Troll
Bob
The only real slowdown there is that there are just so many tabs in the public spreadsheet at this point.

Goblinary so the game is actually playable.

I certainly agree that the public spreadsheet, in part because it's so large, is much harder for the community to use than something like the goblinary. However, it's also far easier to maintain the spreadsheets when there are changes than it is to maintain something like the goblinary. For example, the Enchanting recipes have an entirely new concept, Enchant Groups. I can add those to the spreadsheets by simply adding columns to the appropriate tabs and copy/pasting in the data. Not exactly pretty, but at least all the information is available to everyone, and only a quick distraction away from other work.

To add Enchant Groups to something like the goblinary, a similar step to put the data in would be required, but code/html would also have to be written to understand how to process Enchant Groups, how to match them up to corresponding items, and how/where to display all that information. The end result is certainly a lot prettier, but the code part in particular takes a lot more time to set up. Once it's set up, the maintenance workload is similar, but only until there's another substantive change, then there's another batch of code work to do. Right now, we don't have a good way to add that on top of the other work we've got planned, but we're regularly reevaluating things and definitely plan to look into it at some point.
Bob
There is now a Valid Enchant Groups column on the Weapons (Standard), Weapons (Caster), Armor, and Misc Gear tabs in the public spreadsheet. I believe that covers all the enchantable items.
Bringslite
Nice!

Am I the only one getting a "server error. please reload." msg from the wiki site?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Am I the only one getting a "server error. please reload." msg from the wiki site?

Hmm, I'm able to load it up at the moment. Just in case it's a link problem, and also just in case anyone else who wants to take a look doesn't already have the link, here it is again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UsN8eNlnD7iM_XcFYRvVJJDGTM-0ShcOTQyGcgrxqA0/edit?usp=sharing
Schedim
You are a Troll
Goblinary so the game is actually playable. No longer can we point new players to the Goblinary as it is now out of date with the entire Enchanting system (and updates to holdings, outposts and a few other things before that) missing from it. I think a strong argument could be made that PFO is nigh unplayable without the information parsed in a way that is actually usable like the Goblinary does. Telling us to try and decipher the public spreadsheets and extract the information we need to play the game is absurd. Shame of Goblin Works & Paizo. smile

And I find the idea of putting the effort in doing a guide without a UX resource pretty laugthable, you are aware tgat the dev team is two (?) backenders now? Until the team is expanded into a real dev organisation these meager resources are better spent on developing the game framework into something usuable rather than trying to describe something that just will morph into something else. There are litteraly sux million things that needs to be struck off the liste before complete enough to describe what it is.
If there was a UX resource that could work on the guide framework and general info, but hardly the itty-nitty-gritty things we need to play the game on a daily basis. That has to come when it is a software that could morph any day. There is a spreadsheet that contains the most of the info, use that one!
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
You are a Troll
Goblinary: searchable; filterable; hyperinked throughout

Public Spreadsheet: a morass of tabs and column headings and cells and scrolling to the right that won't even fit on a very large screen
Schedim
You are a Troll
Goblinary: searchable; filterable; hyperinked throughout

Public Spreadsheet: a morass of tabs and column headings and cells and scrolling to the right that won't even fit on a very large screen

And you think Goblinary just appeared out of thin air?
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post