Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The Nhur Athemon Sequence

Bringslite
Just an outsider's perspective here. I don't really play anymore but am watching and waiting on developments as the game progresses, hoping still to see it grow and spark interest so that I will be tempted to get back in. I definitely can't speak for all (like myself)but I can give my opinion, for whatever it is worth…

Been around and was highly active since before alpha started. I got pretty bored by the "Escalation Mechanic Process". As players started dropping off participating, it got even more tedious-sluggish feeling-time consuming and finally "SAME FEELING". The answers to this, presented to us, have been just to make them more and more difficult and involving MORE escalations in sequence to beat for "special events" like holiday activities.

To give credit where it is due, there have been new activities introduced: player raiding, NPC raiding, gushers and ramped up challenges (which at face value is expected and GOOD for the game). Also to credit "The Gung-Ho" players there are some that are happy and skilled enough that enjoy grinding through the increased challenges even with reduced numbers of active players to assist them.

Some regular activities and/or events that allow for "Regular Joe" with solo to small party size to participate but achievable NICE rewards, which do not take many HOURS-DAYS to slog through but (at the same time) are a little different from the "Escalation Formula" might be nice. Even if these new style events/encounters/activities might take tool development and "outside the escalation" thinking they would be valuable to add variety to the game's activities on offer. Like the ability to spawn mobs into the game at random places with tailored rewards or MOVING invasions that advance across country, etc…

At the same time, I realize that Paizo resources are limited and this stuff might be of great challenge to the few Devs that are around.

So, for now, I'll wait cause I know it aint easy to build a great game with one or two Devs.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Agreed
we need things for more players and not just the PVE elites,

We need new events that scale to players.
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
Agreed
we need things for more players and not just the PVE elites,

We need new events that scale to players.
Right! To be perfectly clear (I do ramble on like a soapbox lecturer), since the topic here has evolved into new upcoming holiday "events", some smaller accomplishable scenarios might be nice and be great for newer/younger characters as well as solo/smaller groups. These things will probably be more useful when the population grows again but you also need them now to keep low to mid lvl players engaged.

Also some kind of "world story" that ebbs and peaks based on how characters act in the world. I am aware that this is supposed to be a sandbox with story derived from player activity but a basic "world story" that is flowing, evolving and changing as well as much more apparent so that it is obvious. Right now what it feels like we have is a pretty weak background theme "Nhur Athemon" that I am not even sure of all the details about. It seems unaffected whether we bust his "escalations" or not. Nothing tangible happens or doesn't happen, whatever players do…

Anyway, just food for possible thought.

Edit: Not to belittle the fact that there is always going to be a certain amount of "burnout" for players that are engaged in a single game for more than a cpl years. That too is recognized as an issue which is pretty impossible to beat…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Harad Navar
I find myself in waiting mode. I will be having a new Atlas up by the end of October, but working on that alone is not sufficient to keep me active. I am waiting for the account rework (paying for individual characters, provided that DT linked characters count as one account) hoping that will spur another round of active accounts.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Bob
Harad Navar
I am waiting for the account rework (paying for individual characters, provided that DT linked characters count as one account) hoping that will spur another round of active accounts.

Yes, activating one twinned character will activate the other twinned character for free.
Father Bronin
Bob
Harad Navar
I am waiting for the account rework (paying for individual characters, provided that DT linked characters count as one account) hoping that will spur another round of active accounts.

Yes, activating one twinned character will activate the other twinned character for free.

How long before this begins?
NightmareSr
Last year's holiday event of the Nhur Athemon Sequence was my first in this game and I liked it but after logging an insane number of hours in the game by 1/7/2019 I was more than a little burnt out. I'm not sure I would push that hard again. Oh and my characters are just T2 so not sure what PVE elite qualifications since I just join in with any party that will have me. I do completely agree that something different than grinding through all the escalations would be very nice, and certainly not in every single hex. Anyone who has been working through the remaining sequences probably feels less than excited about these by now.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Bringslite
IMO, variable and massively varied content ALONG with "random dreamed up scenarios" content (that are used as random story events) is the only solution game companies Might come up with to try and keep activities fresh and exciting. At the very same time games can't really be affordably operated if almost all of the workings are not automated (at least as much as possible). That just, to me, makes sense from an outsider's viewpoint.

There may be solutions somewhere in the middle but those are pretty difficult with small Dev teams. There are only so many hours in a day.

Still there are a great many things that this game appears to try and fulfill. Maybe too many in a realist hard view of what is possible under current circumstances and what is expected/wanted by the audience.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Father Bronin
Bob
Harad Navar

How long before this begins?

It will be part of EE 18, scheduled to deploy sometime this month or next month.
Edam
NightmareSr
Last year's holiday event of the Nhur Athemon Sequence was my first in this game and I liked it but after logging an insane number of hours in the game by 1/7/2019 I was more than a little burnt out. I'm not sure I would push that hard again. Oh and my characters are just T2 so not sure what PVE elite qualifications since I just join in with any party that will have me.

Reasonably built T2 characters are definitely viable all the way up to Aristocrats. They do die about twice as much but their gear is vastly cheaper to replace so they just need to bank more often.

As far as "Elite" characters go, I am not seeing any huge changes in builds with these new high levels, possibly a tendency to learn more big hitting single shot expendables as they now have a purpose that justifies the XP and power used, but otherwise its business as usual. To be honest, the biggest changes in character builds in recent years is from things like the longbow/great-sword nerfs and the ridiculous and particularly stupid knee jerk nerfing of things like Devourer's Caress - seemingly based almost entirely on the uninformed observations and prejudices of casual players as anyone that partied regularly with a Devourer Caress wizard would soon realise they died way more often than a proper tank. people did it for fun, not because it was overpowered.

TBH … a lot of what I am reading here seems to be driven by a desire to make the game more "co-operative single player" like and hence moving away from being a pure competitive sandbox MMO . Combat difficulty scaling to your characters current level (aside from being incredibly hard to implement in this game a sensible fashion) is very much a single player game thing. Single player games are designed so that you can lose interest and wander off for a long while and come back and takeup where you left off. They do not get "harder" while you are away.

The idea a single player should be able to easily run an entire settlement is also single player thinking (in single player you are "the one" who changes the world, not just one cog in a much bigger picture), as is the desire for vast amounts of developer created special shiney content to keep people entertained.

Maybe a move away from a sandbox is necessary, who knows? However interestingly, some of the above suggestions go the opposite way and actually seem designed to messup struggling settlements run by casual individuals as they will force people to log in to defend whether they want to or not.

That said … there are a a lot of good ideas from various people mixed in there that are worth pursuing smile Its important not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

BACK ON TOPIC:

One thing to consider for the xmas events might be something that gives individual characters/players rewards over and above the settlement based rewards. Potentially a PvP tournament, controversial as that may be ? Or maybe just something as simple as greatly enhanced chances of stone drops while participating in event escalations on particular days?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post