Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What is below the horizon now?

Bob
We want to update to the latest stable version of Unity, whatever that is at the time we undertake this effort. We don't have an exact estimate for the time involved, or a detailed plan for how to fit it in with our other goals, but it's certainly going to involve months of coding time.
Azure_Zero
Nice to hear GW is looking over the Unity Upgrade.

Hopefully after the upgrade it is more Linux friendly
Azure_Zero
Any update on what the PFO Roadmap of this year will be put up?
Bob
No ETA yet. There are some complicated bits we need to work through that set the tone for the rest of the plan, and we're closing in on those, but there are still a fair number of details to work through.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
No ETA yet. There are some complicated bits we need to work through that set the tone for the rest of the plan, and we're closing in on those, but there are still a fair number of details to work through.
Not in any way attempting to be rude or annoying here with these questions, but the above leads me to feel like you have "a plan". Is the reluctance to write it out due to not having it organized in an orderly layout/timeline or is it just a vast strategy that is too long and obvious to bother sharing?

How stuck in pre-assigned priority is it and how much is left for "crowdforged" idea/discussion is there? Either order is fine (your game, money, risk) but I miss the original "ideals" of the "crowdforged feeling". smile
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
On specific opinions about future major direction/projects:

My feeling is that you already have a really great base game. You Just need to polish it up a bit. You have substantial Pillars for interest and thus success. You just need to infuse more variety and exciting play possibility into each.

ECONOMY-
Gathering, crafting, selling, buying. The elements are there already. The system/play for crafting and acquiring skills/materials is here. As a gatherer I can't keep items on the AH. I am just one guy. The economy works. Hard-work/careful-pricing pays off with profit.

EXPLORATION-
This is a hard one because a map can only be so large before it gets ridiculous. Exploration is well served by searching for Gushers, location of Enchant or other raw materials, "other" player holdings/defenses, escalations.

PVE-
Escalations, how they are supposed to work, are almost unique in MMORPG's currently out. You have a base system for creating quests.

PVP/TERRITORY CONTROL-
All of the motivations and ability to engage in both random and reasoned PVP are in the game already. All the tools for alliances/enmity relationships are EXISTING NOW.

META-
The POLITICAL META was there already before the game even started serious coding. It was very vibrant and exiting. Azoth and the limited (still just a baby so far) cash shop has great potential. Excellent community and customer service (best I've seen) are here.

I'm only listing the positives of the above because they are more to my point that there IS A GAME HERE and the point isn't about how much work needs be done on any one of them.
What is Holding You Back Now?

Only cash. Priority ONE. What I mean is that you need to figure out how to generate some serious cash in-flow. You need to focus on reasons for more players to try the game and ways to "hook"/motivate them to stay. What could you do with one more person that could illustrate/animate creatures and outfits, fix bugs or code features from scratch?

Things like:
lower premium or more character "bang for the buck"
player incentives through play rewards or actual cash rewards of some type
alternate ways to earn more xp faster

In this I mean low work(for you)/increased player motivations. I also mean that those "Pillars" need work but that isn't timewise-realistic without funding. Don't lose out on your many unique takes on things already implemented because you can't show them to the world in time to beat the rest of your competitors.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Not in any way attempting to be rude or annoying here with these questions, but the above leads me to feel like you have "a plan". Is the reluctance to write it out due to not having it organized in an orderly layout/timeline or is it just a vast strategy that is too long and obvious to bother sharing?

How stuck in pre-assigned priority is it and how much is left for "crowdforged" idea/discussion is there? Either order is fine (your game, money, risk) but I miss the original "ideals" of the "crowdforged feeling". smile

It's more like we have a rough idea of a plan, but there are still details we need to work through before it's solid enough to call it a plan. We're holding off until the plan is at the right stage for sharing it more widely.

The plan will of course be heavily influenced by all the discussions we've had here on the forums and elsewhere, and we'll continue to crowdforge the details as we're implementing things. Not every part of the plan can be up for debate, but we do our best to involve the community as much as we can.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Bob

It's more like we have a rough idea of a plan, but there are still details we need to work through before it's solid enough to call it a plan. We're holding off until the plan is at the right stage for sharing it more widely.

The plan will of course be heavily influenced by all the discussions we've had here on the forums and elsewhere, and we'll continue to crowdforge the details as we're implementing things. Not every part of the plan can be up for debate, but we do our best to involve the community as much as we can.
This is a fair response and much appreciated. Whichever way that you guys set to tackle your Long Strategy, at this point, you are dealing with a pretty solid foundation. I am watching with anticipation. smile
uotopia@msn.com
RichClark
Hi Bob,

I thought of one tiny little change I'd like. Is it for me personally - yes. However there may be others that benefit from the change.

I would like a single character to be able to have more than one Crafter's House open at the same time.

I have a couple characters that are my main guys for crafting in more than one area. I got the Crafters Houses to allow them to sell their wares (this is before we got an Auction House) and to have an advanced place to craft and learn.

Right now, each crafter can only use one Crafters House at a time and it takes a week to un-build them and put them back up.

I believe the coding for this is small, but there may be a reason for it I am unaware of that is important - so enlighten me.

Rich (Maker)
Bob
RichClark
I would like a single character to be able to have more than one Crafter's House open at the same time.

That's an understandable desire, but it's one we need to balance against the limited number of places available for player housing. Admittedly, a single player could theoretically lock up all the available housing spots by spreading the housing across multiple accounts/characters, but at least that adds an extra layer of difficulty to doing so, not to mention that it looks better to other players when all the spots aren't held by a single character name.

We also have a general design principle of asking players to make meaningful choices between different possibilities, and letting players deploy multiple housing options at once changes that from a choice of "which one" to "how many." Just as one character can't slot every possible enchantment at once, we don't want one character to be able to benefit fully from every possible house at once.

That said, if we ultimately feel that the current limits are too restrictive, it wouldn't technically be too difficult to raise the number of houses that can be deployed at once a bit, though any specific limit we set would feel somewhat arbitrary. Alternatively, we could look into more expensive housing variants that support multiple skills, or housing add-ons that give existing housing some extra capabilities. There'd probably have to be some tradeoffs or serious prerequisites involved, but there are probably some interesting solutions we could consider. There'd be more work involved, but they'd probably be more fun as options, and would decrease the demand on the limited spaces available.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post