Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Shear attack

NightmareSr
So it has bugged me for a bit, but is it intentional that the Axe attack "Shear" has a range of 15m yet it has a 20m charge effect? It just seems odd to charge at a target and stop 5m behind them. I would think it should have a 20m range right?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Bob
NightmareSr
So it has bugged me for a bit, but is it intentional that the Axe attack "Shear" has a range of 15m yet it has a 20m charge effect? It just seems odd to charge at a target and stop 5m behind them. I would think it should have a 20m range right?

It looks like the range was reduced at some point without also reducing the charge distance, though that's based on a very cursory glance at that spreadsheet's history. I'll do a little more digging and consider reducing the charge distance to something more appropriate.
NightmareSr
Dang it why did I open my big mouth. I like the 20m charge it was the 15m range that I disliked. I should have known that would backfire on me smile
Bob
NightmareSr
Dang it why did I open my big mouth. I like the 20m charge it was the 15m range that I disliked. I should have known that would backfire on me smile

Well, that's also a possibility. Adjusting the charge distance is a more straight-forward change, since theoretically the 20m charge isn't getting fully utilized anyway, so I'd just be rebalancing the numbers to match the attack's general functionality. Increasing the actual range alters the nature of the attack in a more fundamental way, so I'd need to do more research on why the range was originally reduced to make sure I wasn't just reintroducing some problem that the reduced range was intended to fix.

Also, increasing the range would probably count as making the attack better according to our balance algorithm, which in turn would call for having it do less damage or less other effects. There's almost always a trade-off of some kind involved.
NightmareSr
oh balance and trade-offs. Since when is life fair anyway? haha smile
But on a serious note it is a fun attack and it would be nice to have it more powerful than to have the extra 5m range.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post