Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Boss drops

Flari-Merchant
Schedim
I just wish we could agree on "even if there are QoL stuff that needs to be adressed RIGTH NOW" there is a possibility thaat having a duscussion thread about other things eh, eh?

Just having one hundred and thirty two thread with just "the vault is broken, and needs to be fixed" over, and over, and over again … feels a bit boring.

All honor to Cato and persistence…. but …
I think that we can.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
It doesn't hurt to raise these kinds of discussions, and sometimes it can turn out the suggestion is easier to implement than one would initially think, or that there's an easier way of achieving the spirit of the suggestion. It's also not always clear where the tradeoffs have to be, since that depends on how much of the work Cole needs to do and how much I need to do.

In this particular case, in theory there's a way to do this with what we call Treasure Boxes, which are basically items that contain other items. Examples are the Class Packs and New Player Packs, and now the Claim Tickets as well. Like the Class Packs, those can be set up to give you a choice of what's actually in the Treasure Box. Further, these can be set up to roll on a loot table instead of giving out guaranteed results.

Assuming that all works as expected when dropped as mob loot, it's possible that I could do all the work myself, so we wouldn't be trading off for other programming tasks. Then again, we'd still be trading off for other designer/non-programmer tasks, since I could spend that time doing things like fleshing out the events in some of the escalations, or adding more feats, or designing/testing the more programmer-heavy tasks. There's always a tradeoff of some kind.

At the very least, it would make a lot of sense to add some of the enchanting salvage to the boss drops, and that would be pretty easy to do. Adding the choice part is definitely a little more complicated, even assuming the Treasure Boxes would do the trick, but has some interesting possibilities. I'll put in a feature request to look into either method (or both) when I get a chance.
Edam
From a role play point of view you are going to have to do some fancy footwork to explain how a dead boss offers you a choice of loot.

From a game mechanic/balance point of view there are no issues with the idea.

As for Gold. The obvious excess cash flow into the game at present seems to be an artefact of the way we are all almost all high end T3 gatherers and escalation runners. If the game ever achieves a more normal state the influx of newer players will soak up that excess gold crafting gathering trading and selling stuff fairly quickly.

What I do find interesting is the idea that limiting the cash flow into an economy will somehow boost it. It certainly has not happened with the countries implementing austerity measures worldwide over the past decade. That seems to go against all accepted economic theory.
Flari-Merchant
Edam
From a role play point of view you are going to have to do some fancy footwork to explain how a dead boss offers you a choice of loot.

From a game mechanic/balance point of view there are no issues with the idea.

As for Gold. The obvious excess cash flow into the game at present seems to be an artefact of the way we are all almost all high end T3 gatherers and escalation runners. If the game ever achieves a more normal state the influx of newer players will soak up that excess gold crafting gathering trading and selling stuff fairly quickly.

What I do find interesting is the idea that limiting the cash flow into an economy will somehow boost it. It certainly has not happened with the countries implementing austerity measures worldwide over the past decade. That seems to go against all accepted economic theory.
There isn't a functional real world economy that allows it's citizens to print their own currency. Not as far as I have read about or been able to find.
Printing money without limit is the stuff of hyper-inflation. It devalues the currency. Maybe not real noticeable now (with 20-30 active players) but it will eventually be a serious problem. That is pretty easy to verify. If you do not mind watching a 10 min cartoon about how this relates to MMORPGs: Here. Just watch and think about it.

Note that they do not suggest that coin generation be totally cut off. They do offer some real world like solution/ideas. I was very wrong when I long ago suggested that Azoth be made into a fully tradable (like currency) for more than coin currency. The way that Azoth works now is more like the right direction. It just needs more uses to help balance player economy AND Paizo cash RW influx.

I do not suggest that no coin drop. I only suggest that more craft-able(TRADEABLE) salvage be awarded than coin. Not a single perfect solution to avoid a joke economy but definitely a step.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
plopmania
Edam

Maybe it would be possible to do something fanciful like "normal drops during the day" and "enchanting (etc) drops during the night". People can then defend the bosses/escalations until they are ripe for harvest. Who knows, maybe moonlight is magical.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post