Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

So... New Players and Us

Flari-Merchant
This Humble Bundle promotion has really done well in bringing in some new people to try out PfO. It has brought out great Community spirit as far as helping these young Golarians out getting started. Pretty sure I have seen members of every active group participating in this and many, many solo players. I've even seen these new players catching the spirit and helping other new players with their new knowledge. Fantastic! This really shows that we have an A+ community here. I'm proud to be part of it.

I'm also curious, what could we possibly do to be BETTER at it than we already are? How could Paizo help us? What things seem to be most helpful, overall, and are most likely going to get New Players to stick around?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
rathen45
I like the game when it comes to the actual combat but I find the time that it takes to harvest resources a bit annoying. Also it would be good if you had a quick travel system set up so that we could travel between friendly npc locations. I found the backtracking to get to the quest giver to be a needless waste of time. For example I recently played rise of the tomb raider and it had really good really tolerable distances between quick travel points. Maybe making every corner of the hex grid a quick travel point would make travel less tedious. Then again it might be a standard MMO thing that I just don't have the patients for, I wasn't a fan of guild wars for the same reason.
Flari-Merchant
Thank you for the feedback, rathen45.

If you rank up your gathering skills, you will gather a little bit faster for each upgrade. First upgrade is pretty good. You will also find that you have an RNG chance to gather more each pull. The range is between 2 and 10 pieces per.

I get bored having to run everywhere myself. That can be helped with speed buffs like tokens, potions, spells and items/gear. The original design was that we should be at risk of PVP when we travel outside of safe zones. That would be difficult to get past. I would not mind if there were some type of compromise that could be worked out.

THE BIG QUEST, agreed that some of the runs between the stages are a trial. That quest is designed to be done little by little and over a time period that you grow more powerful. Kind of like when in the area, you finish your current stage.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Edam
The biggest objection to fast travel is it will make it far to easy for big groups to dominate the entire map by planting scouts around and just warping assault groups of buffed up T3 characters to any hotspot on the map they are needed.

For example under the current system if you have an outpost/holding hex 3/4 of a map away from your base and someone feuds it for resources you are never going to get forces from home out their in time. Yo either need combat characters permanently stationed nearby or just have to let the attacking players have it. Fast travel will let big groups pop holdings up all over the map with impunity.
Maxen
I would like to offer that auto-travel and fast travel should not be condidered the same thing. Having a mechanic to travel between established settlements is hopefully in the plans. Something that takes some of the burden off the player. It would not necessarily get them there any faster than the chosen method of travel whether by foot (free), horse (coin sink), or wagon for hauling goods (bigger coin sink.) It would also need to be temporarily interruptible to allow bandits to do their thing and then allow the player to resume travel. The player can step away from their PC at their own risk. Traveling with guards or mercs for hire might actually become a thing. But please. Anything to beat the Running Simulator 2.0.
NightmareSr
Maxen
I would like to offer that auto-travel and fast travel should not be condidered the same thing. Having a mechanic to travel between established settlements is hopefully in the plans. Something that takes some of the burden off the player. It would not necessarily get them there any faster than the chosen method of travel whether by foot (free), horse (coin sink), or wagon for hauling goods (bigger coin sink.) It would also need to be temporarily interruptible to allow bandits to do their thing and then allow the player to resume travel. The player can step away from their PC at their own risk. Traveling with guards or mercs for hire might actually become a thing. But please. Anything to beat the Running Simulator 2.0.
+1 for Auto travel. Just have the Player character follow the roads (might require road mapping fixes) then the character can still get attacked so are at risk if AFK. I also think a lot of the roads need to be fixed anyway cause mules and mobs get stuck on roads frequently. I think most of us can understand that horses are further away since no artist on staff, but it is harder to understand that we can auto-run a path to a nearby settlement.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Flari-Merchant
Well since this is about helping new players enjoy playing as much as we do, this tangent is semi relevant….

Why do new (and older) players dislike travelling at run speed across such a large map and is it reasonable that they should have to? Is it serving a function or goal that is vital to the spirit of the game AND is the fun from it at a good level that today's gamer appreciates?

Those are questions that we, but really Paizo, should be asking themselves.

I can see two methods that could work. One is auto travel and one is a limited teleport.

Auto-Travel: A player made building that allows links to other player made buildings and a "caravan" type moving "group" that passes between them every certain amount of minutes or hours. It can be interrupted. Maybe it has a few Thornguards, maybe none. The passengers could be attacked and killed possibly. Takes you from player settlement to player settlement.

Teleport: Services in the NPC towns that can teleport you to other NPC towns. You still have to travel normally to where you really want to go. I.E. the rest of the way. Gathering area, PC settlement, escalation, war zone, whatever. I would not put one in Thrornkeep.

Pros for Either: Can serve as a coin sink. Both would serve as choke points for conflict and allow easier access to places where conflict is rather than encourage "Oh, you know, its too far away to defend. Let it burn". mentality. Both would eliminate some of the Non Fun of having to trudge over the same boring landscape while having to sit there and dodge random mobs for 30 min - 1 hr+. <–That is the real problem that needs fixing.
uotopia@msn.com
harneloot
I see a lot of problems with any form of teleport. Force projection as Edam describes being a huge one, but also skipping huge amounts of bulk around the map, huge amounts of merchandise you craft in one settlement but want to sell in another, penalizing settlements that are further from NPC towns such that nobody bothers visiting them, etc

Auto travel seems fine, but why not just press R and casually pay attention of a smaller game window or second monitor while you do some web-surfing or video watching and your toons runs for 15 minutes to cross the map (or some lesser part of the map which takes proportionally less time)? Get on voice comms and chat with your settlement mates while you run. (it has never taken me 30 minutes - 1 hour to run across the map…unless maybe you are going all the way from the NW corner to the SE corner or something similar. Mostly people just run about in their general settlement's territory, don't they?)

Is having to pay attention to the running toon the issue or the time it takes? If the latter, invest in some Speed Potions - they really do make a heck of a difference! Maybe there should be a lesser token of Quickness instead of some of the more useless ones that are clogging up our vaults? And of course there is always Energetic Field, Agile Feet and Speed Spell available now too.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
NightmareSr
Pressing R and pointing in a direction works for some durable characters to some extent. The issue I have with this one is that the character gets stuck on rocks or cliffs or trees. If we could auto-run on roads then that would eliminate the "stuck" and would allow bandits some fun of setting up ambush points on roads. Really being able to run along the roads would add some fun flare to the game and possibly make a straight line run faster than an auto-run along the roads, IMO at least.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Flari-Merchant
I suppose I do not quite grasp the idea of this force projection theme. Well, I do grasp the concept but I do not see it as any different an issue for small groups than large groups. Except maybe that a small group needs/wants the same amount of "Settlement" that a large group does. Neither needs MORE buildings or more Bulk resources than the other to maintain lvl 20. Maybe that is an issue to look at too.

Yeah they both WANT more bulk to theoretically withstand siege.

Yet we already have the issue, without good mobility, for a group (large or small) to have trouble defending distant holdings. An attacker can plan mischief anywhere and be ready there whenever they like. For me this takes the strength out of that argument. Being able to realistically get to the fight might mean more fighting. That should be a good thing.

I can see some settlements becoming backwaters if they can't build a "rail station" but aren't they already backwaters now? Maybe they will want to be "off route" so that they deal with less banditry.

Edit: But really it is just a matter of giving players something that most new and many old players want which will make the game time spent more enjoyable. Like keeping horses in pockets, weird but the overall convenience plays better.
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post