Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

New Roadmap, Part 1

Bob
Pathfinder Online has come a long way over the last few years. While there are still plenty of rough edges for us to polish, and we’ll tack some of those on to the roadmap soon, we’re going to shift gears for a bit and focus on bringing in more new players. Here’s the first batch of major changes we’re looking at to address issues that have been reported as roadblocks by potential new (and sometimes returning) players, all of which we’ll be opening for crowdforging discussions:

Free Trial Mode

The most common request from prospective players is for an opportunity to try the game out before committing to a subscription, so we’re bringing back Free Trials, with some important changes.

• Anyone can log in and play, but Inactive characters are in Free Trial Mode and don’t get all the benefits of an Active character, such as earning XP over time, generating influence, participating in territorial warfare, or receiving full support for their feats.
  • New characters receive a larger initial amount of XP, enough to cover them for a little while since they won’t be earning XP over time, and existing characters are compensated for the difference.

Experience Point Options

New players often worry about wasting XP on feats they’ll later regret purchasing, or feats that undergo changes during development, so we’re providing options to reduce those worries.

• Players can forget the feats they’ve spent XP on and respec their characters, though at some cost, such as needing to re-earn achievements and not getting back any coin or items used to learn those feats.
  • XP can be purchased using Azoth, though with some limitations, and always less efficiently than it can be earned over time.
  • Individual characters can be subscribed to earn XP over time.

Flag for PvP

Prospective players regularly ask us whether or not the game involves PvP, and then back off no matter how rare we say it is, so we want to provide them an option to easily guarantee they won’t be forced to PvP, while still maintaining the PvP that’s so central to the territorial control aspect of Pathfinder Online.

• Players can’t attack or be attacked by other players unless they explicitly choose to participate in PvP.
  • Players that don’t choose to participate in PvP generally have the possessions they hold directly (equipped or in their inventory) protected from other players, but can’t protect their mules or territory without flagging for PvP.
  • We’ll also be looking at additional ways to offer more territorial conflict PvP opportunities, like making territorial control more valuable and making holding vaults more vulnerable.

Helpful Onboarding

Much of the website and other documentation players run into early on has gotten out-of-date, confusing new players, so we’re going to revisit that material and update it.

• Clear statements on website, patcher and initial game screens about Early Enrollment, Free Trial Mode, the Development Roadmap, and what players should expect while playing and crowdforging the game.
  • Update the web site and patcher to replace obsolete information with updated instructions on how to play the game.
  • Ease new players through some of the things they find most confusing when starting to play, like finding the tutorial quest givers, figuring out what to do when they’ve already done a tutorial stage, understanding how looting works, and preparing for Daily Maintenance.
Bob
This is a good place to discuss the roadmap in general, but for crowdforging the specific features, I've started the following threads:

Bringslite
Thanks, Bob. These (at least one) will generate some discussion for sure! Some very good ideas in here.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
NightmareSr
Out of the 4 sections mentioned, it seems Flag for PvP is the most controversial and that makes sense. Will these items be prioritized in a way that the other items can be worked and implemented sooner or is there a danger of Flag for PvP debates to delay the other improvements? Just curious here and very excited about some of the proposed features.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Bob
NightmareSr
Out of the 4 sections mentioned, it seems Flag for PvP is the most controversial and that makes sense. Will these items be prioritized in a way that the other items can be worked and implemented sooner or is there a danger of Flag for PvP debates to delay the other improvements? Just curious here and very excited about some of the proposed features.

Yes, for the moment we're prioritizing these features in the order they're listed, so we've already begun work on Free Trial Mode. The caveat there is that a lot of the Onboarding feature doesn't involve code, and the other features require far more code work than design work, so I'll probably be able to fit in a little work on the website and such throughout the process.
NightmareSr
Bob
Yes, for the moment we're prioritizing these features in the order they're listed, so we've already begun work on Free Trial Mode. The caveat there is that a lot of the Onboarding feature doesn't involve code, and the other features require far more code work than design work, so I'll probably be able to fit in a little work on the website and such throughout the process.
Oh good, and yes good point it would be nice to have the updated onboarding to go with free trials in case we get a lot of new players joining. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
harneloot
Ok, been about 5 months give or take….can we get an update on where we are at now? From the above, I think I am only aware of Free Trial Mode being implemented, though, admittedly, I barely play the game at all any more.

Maybe all the work has gone into/is going into the Unity Upgrade? smile
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Bob
We're putting the finishing touches on the short-term roadmap, finalizing the order of implementation and our target dates for each set of features. That will go on its own permanent web page, to be updated as we finish off planned updates and schedule new ones. Lisa and I just need to work through a few sticking points before I can post the final version. Things have been a little crazy here and we keep running into scheduling conflicts, but we're hoping to have everything sorted out within a few days (fingers crossed). Sorry for all the delays, and many thanks for your patience.
Harad Navar
Bob
We're putting the finishing touches on the short-term roadmap, finalizing the order of implementation and our target dates for each set of features. That will go on its own permanent web page, to be updated as we finish off planned updates and schedule new ones. Lisa and I just need to work through a few sticking points before I can post the final version. Things have been a little crazy here and we keep running into scheduling conflicts, but we're hoping to have everything sorted out within a few days (fingers crossed). Sorry for all the delays, and many thanks for your patience.
We Await!
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post