Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Free Trial Mode

Bob
The most common request from prospective players is for an opportunity to try the game out before committing to a subscription, so we’re bringing back Free Trials, with some important changes.

• Anyone can log in and play, but Inactive characters are in Free Trial Mode and don’t get all the benefits of an Active character, such as earning XP over time, generating influence, participating in territorial warfare, or receiving full support for their feats.
  • New characters receive a larger initial amount of XP, enough to cover them for a little while since they won’t be earning XP over time, and existing characters are compensated for the difference.

Thoughts/Concerns/Questions?
Bringslite
I like this as a compromise. I assume that it would tie in with being able to buy xp with Azoth?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Bob
The most common request from prospective players is for an opportunity to try the game out before committing to a subscription, so we’re bringing back Free Trials, with some important changes.

• Anyone can log in and play, but Inactive characters are in Free Trial Mode and don’t get all the benefits of an Active character, such as earning XP over time, generating influence, participating in territorial warfare, or receiving full support for their feats.
  • New characters receive a larger initial amount of XP, enough to cover them for a little while since they won’t be earning XP over time, and existing characters are compensated for the difference.

Thoughts/Concerns/Questions?

Having slept on this and doing some thinking, I don't understand the need for the part that I bolded. Unless the starting xp is going to be a very large amount? You do not want trial players to feel that they are overly limited within the low "trial" window from which they get to check out the game, do you?

I still like the rest, but if the goal is to get bodies running around in-game, I don't see the real need for over gimping trial players. I do like and understand the other restrictions. Though I was hoping for a more Fremium approach It is your game and I can see caution about that is important.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
plopmania
@Bringslite
As I understand this feature, any character not on a subscription is essentially a free-to-play character. So any old T3 gets to roam around without subscription. I believe this restriction aims to curb those characters rather than the new players.
Bringslite
plopmania
@Bringslite
As I understand this feature, any character not on a subscription is essentially a free-to-play character. So any old T3 gets to roam around without subscription. I believe this restriction aims to curb those characters rather than the new players.
Ahhh! Thx, plopmania. That would make some sense. I was not thinking deeply enough.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Bob

Having slept on this and doing some thinking, I don't understand the need for the part that I bolded. Unless the starting xp is going to be a very large amount? You do not want trial players to feel that they are overly limited within the low "trial" window from which they get to check out the game, do you?

I still like the rest, but if the goal is to get bodies running around in-game, I don't see the real need for over gimping trial players. I do like and understand the other restrictions. Though I was hoping for a more Fremium approach It is your game and I can see caution about that is important.

The support restriction would have little or no effect on an account that never gets beyond the initial amount of XP, and could be adjusted to guarantee that it has no effect on them. It's really just about characters that fall back into Free Trial Mode after having subscribed for a while.

Bringslite
I assume that it [Free Trial Mode] would tie in with being able to buy xp with Azoth?

Yes, Free Trial Mode players could purchase XP with Azoth, but they'd likely start to run up against the support restriction unless they just used the XP to branch out.
Bob
And I see that plopmania very correctly ninja-posted me as I slowly and distractedly typed my response. Excellent work!
Edam
The "full support for feats" limitation is kinda essential to limit unsubbed crafters dominating the economy. Something like dropping back to TK level of support would work.

That said … if the new rules did happily allow my level 20 armorsmiths to unsub and yet still churn out a T3 armor every 3 weeks without paying full subs then I am all for it of course smile

Practically speaking, you do need to sub to submit a queue so you probably would need to sub for a month every second armor set. However with only the one queue the XP gained is relatively useless (as training multiple crafts gets pointless). One of my armorsmiths has just hit 900,000 unspent XP, they are being subbed purely to keep their queues running. If the chance occurred to sub every second armor I would jump at it.
Drizzle
If I create a bunch of these with names like Minion 1, Minion 2 etc can I add them all to the new single account system, sign them up to a company and use them to stand around holdings as scouts/access alts ?
Bob
Drizzle
If I create a bunch of these with names like Minion 1, Minion 2 etc can I add them all to the new single account system, sign them up to a company and use them to stand around holdings as scouts/access alts ?

Yes, though we do plan to eventually limit where you can log in, so you won't always be able to litter the world with alts. One of the few remaining items on the original roadmap was requiring that you log in at a shrine, and hopefully we'll be able to get back to something along those lines pretty quickly once these features are added. We may also add other limitations over time, or other methods of achieving the same goals, since we don't really want to incentivize heavy use of unpaid alts for activities that aren't necessarily all that fun.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post