Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Free Trial Mode

Fiesta
Bob
Edam
If I recall correctly (it was a long time ago) this spawn at shrine idea came up around the EE time and the issues with it, back then, were:

1. It can be used for fast travel. (for example log off on the plains below Golgotha with a load of goodies and log back in and appear safely up the mountain in town near the Golgotha bank).
2. PvP issues, such as people who escaped being chased can log off and back in again respawning hexes away from the pursuers at a PvP free shrine. Shrines would also create ideal camp spots for bandits and scouts wanting to see who logs in.

We have a relatively simple tweak in mind that would help with some of these issues: If the character logged out (or was otherwise disconnected) more than X minutes ago, then spawn them back in at the nearest accessible/friendly shrine. It wouldn't completely solve them, but would at least generally mean that the character could have just run to the nearest shrine in less time.

The spawn camping issue is more probematic, though we do have policies against that. Still, it's certainly possible this change would make spawn camping much more tempting, and that we'd need to take additional measures to prevent it around the same time.

I guess my question about this would be what about Inns? I find that most of the time, I log out at friendly Inns and I would really rather be able to continue to log out there and not at shrines. I don't think that adding a shrine to the Inn is a good solution but perhaps a bind point to allow us to log back in where we logged out.
Bringslite
@Bob

#1. Do you guys have an idea on the number of simultaneous players that your current set up can handle before lag/service/etc… degradation will occur? Under current budget, will it be easy to strengthen/up that capacity if you need to?

#2. This is partly related to PVP but also related to Free Trial accounts. Do you see these unlimited "extra characters" (the ability for them to act as "vaults" ) as being something that will make it difficult to create increased rewards for looting from Raids? Couldn't I just store excess things on an alt at a holding? Or do you plan to restrict log-in locations (or limit character inventory capacity) around the same time that you work out more/increased rewards for PVP?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
#1. Do you guys have an idea on the number of simultaneous players that your current set up can handle before lag/service/etc… degradation will occur? Under current budget, will it be easy to strengthen/up that capacity if you need to?

We have tech in place that will put the walls up around a hex that's overcrowded and queue up logins that try to get into that hex. Increasing those numbers would probably require a lot of work, but we think the only hexes really likely to run into any problems would be the ones right around Thornkeep, because all the new players start there. Once they're dispersed, there shouldn't be much problem, so the first thing we'd probably look at if needed would be some way to start out new characters in a different location.

Bringslite
#2. This is partly related to PVP but also related to Free Trial accounts. Do you see these unlimited "extra characters" (the ability for them to act as "vaults" ) as being something that will make it difficult to create increased rewards for looting from Raids? Couldn't I just store excess things on an alt at a holding? Or do you plan to restrict log-in locations (or limit character inventory capacity) around the same time that you work out more/increased rewards for PVP?

That is indeed one of our concerns, and we'll probably need to deal with it at the same time we make vaults more vulnerable. Restricting login locations will help somewhat, though at some point we'd probably want holdings to be one of the places you're allowed to log in at, since we'd intended them as bases of operation.
Bob
Fiesta
I guess my question about this would be what about Inns? I find that most of the time, I log out at friendly Inns and I would really rather be able to continue to log out there and not at shrines. I don't think that adding a shrine to the Inn is a good solution but perhaps a bind point to allow us to log back in where we logged out.

It's possible that we could consider friendly holdings, including inns, as login points, possibly only if you log out very close to them. We'll figure out the details when we get closer to implementing this restriction.
Smeltbane
Bob
It's possible that we could consider friendly holdings, including inns, as login points, possibly only if you log out very close to them. We'll figure out the details when we get closer to implementing this restriction.

Holdings are not safe login locations, you may well login to find a bunch of raiding ninja's tromping on your head.

If you make holdings a shrine, rather than just a login spawn, it is going to seriously mess with feuds as friendly sides will simply respawn after death at the holding they are defending. Also, how could feuding even work at all if shrines are meant to be PvP free zones and you have a shrine right there at the holding you want to attack.

Outposts would work better.
Bringslite
Smeltbane
Bob

Holdings are not safe login locations, you may well login to find a bunch of raiding ninja's tromping on your head.

If you make holdings a shrine, rather than just a login spawn, it is going to seriously mess with feuds as friendly sides will simply respawn after death at the holding they are defending. Also, how could feuding even work at all if shrines are meant to be PvP free zones and you have a shrine right there at the holding you want to attack.

These things are mostly true but all sorts of raids/monster invasions are on players set schedules. Outposts might just be a good alternative that is less confusing. Maybe a "Shrine" outpost Which does not produce Bulk would be a good trade off for the Res Location benefits…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Smeltbane

Things do get complicated very fast when picking login/respawn points. Holding shrines might need to go inactive during PvP windows, or possibly just when enemies are nearby. We'll definitely take time to talk through all that when we're closer to making some login/spawn changes.
Fiesta
Smeltbane
Bob

Yah, I'm not expecting holdings to be safe, just monster free when it's not during the PVP window.
Bob
There's a new build up on Zog (the test servers) with Free Trial Mode activated. I'll post some more official preliminary release notes soon, but here are the basics:

• Accounts can log in to the game whether or not they're active. On Zog, Test Server Access is also required. Send email to customer.support@pathfinderonline.com if you'd like to take a look at the update before it goes to the Live server.
    • Free Trial Mode characters don't earn XP over time. Those set to train will show up as Training XP (Paused) on the character selection screen.
    • Free Trial Mode characters don't earn influence for their company.
    • Free Trial Mode characters are limited to Support Level 6.
    • Free Trial Mode characters don't earn points in capture/raid games, but do earn points defending against NPC invaders and defending harvesting sites.
  • New characters start out with 75,000 XP, and all characters who originally started with 1,000 XP will be given 74,000 XP.
  • Training feats and learning expendables now has a confirmation stage before the XP is spent.
BlackMoria
Assuming all works out well on Zog, when will this be rolled out to the Live Server?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post