Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Experience Point Options

Bringslite
Wow! I am sure that the respect will be useful for newer players but I am also sure that it would be a pretty tough choice for any seasoned veteran. Having to do all those achieves again, still having to buy feats you do not really want for ability gates AND being pretty weak while enduring the gather node counter again… Have to be more messed up than my characters! smile

I think I am only dissatisfied with about 10% or so of my choices.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Harad Navar
Bob
  • XP can be purchased using Azoth, though with some limitations, and always less efficiently than it can be earned over time.
  • Bob, in the current thinking would purchased XP be applicable to the 3rd character in a DT account?
    Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
    Bob
    Harad Navar
    Bob
  • XP can be purchased using Azoth, though with some limitations, and always less efficiently than it can be earned over time.
  • Bob, in the current thinking would purchased XP be applicable to the 3rd character in a DT account?

We're thinking you can purchase it for any character. Just log in to that character, put some Azoth in your Inventory, then spend Azoth to add XP to that character.
    Bringslite
    Bob
    Harad Navar
    Bob

We're thinking you can purchase it for any character. Just log in to that character, put some Azoth in your Inventory, then spend Azoth to add XP to that character.
    Nice!
    Virtute et Armis
    -Unknown
    Bob
    Edam
    My bad, I assumed you were talking partial respecs.

Actually, I left it intentionally vauge, since we haven't 100% decided which way to go. Partial respecs are theoretically possibly, but they are trickier and harder to implement. It's possible they'd even be really frustrating for players, since trying to forget a particular feat could involve a long chain of "okay, I want to forget X, but first I have to forget Y, and Z before that, or I could learn W to get that ability score up enough instead of forgetting Z, now what feat was X again?" Still, it could be worth doing partial respecs properly if full respecs would never get used, or if we can figure out a sneaky way to do them.

Edam
    A full respec where "where everything gets forgotten all at once" including all feats all achievements etc so the player gets a vanilla character identical to one that had been subbed at the same date of the current one but never played avoids most if not all the issues.

Though even then, I would consider EITHER looking at some sort of XP limit above which a respec is not possible - as after a certain amount of time playing that character the owner should know better OR make the cost in Azoth per 100,000 XP substantial enough to discourage random wanton character respeccing on a casual whim (or just as a way to ramp up influence).

We're definitely planning on attaching some kind of cost/consequence to respecs. We could certainly do increasing Azoth costs based on total XP returned, and requiring that achievements be re-earned would scale automatically based on how far you'd advanced. In general, we want players to usually choose branching out from where they already are over respecing, but we know some people strongly prefer making sure every point is spent with perfect efficiency.
    Bob
    Smitty
    Since this is XP based thread –

Why not just provide ways to earn xp while playing the game?

Have asked before about kill quest- This seems like something players would expect from this type of game. Go out kill monsters get xp. It flows with what would normally encounter in table top.

Provides new players something to do if they spent the 1k they started with- the NPCs already do coin quest - should be able to tweak those easy enough to make them able to be requested by characters with certain ability scores.

We could do something along those lines, and being open to XP purchases does somewhat open the door to this possibility as well. There are some tricky balance issues involved, but then there always are.

In terms of quest prerequisites, we currently gate them on either completing another specific quest (you can't do the role tutorial quests until you do the movement tutorial quest), getting a specific achievement (you can't do the Rolling Bones quest until you've gotten Skeleton Slayer 1), or on learning a specific feat (you can't do the escalation tutorial quest until you learn Base Attack Bonus 1). We could certainly add more kinds of prerequisites, but those are pretty good methods for now.
    Smitty
    Bob
    Smitty
    Since this is XP based thread –

Why not just provide ways to earn xp while playing the game?

Have asked before about kill quest- This seems like something players would expect from this type of game. Go out kill monsters get xp. It flows with what would normally encounter in table top.

Provides new players something to do if they spent the 1k they started with- the NPCs already do coin quest - should be able to tweak those easy enough to make them able to be requested by characters with certain ability scores.
    Think it is worth pursuing ..

If opening the flood gates to buy xp - don’t forget about the army of folks that will scream Pay to Win -

This would at least give people options to get additional xp without forking over more money….
    We could do something along those lines, and being open to XP purchases does somewhat open the door to this possibility as well. There are some tricky balance issues involved, but then there always are.

In terms of quest prerequisites, we currently gate them on either completing another specific quest (you can't do the role tutorial quests until you do the movement tutorial quest), getting a specific achievement (you can't do the Rolling Bones quest until you've gotten Skeleton Slayer 1), or on learning a specific feat (you can't do the escalation tutorial quest until you learn Base Attack Bonus 1). We could certainly add more kinds of prerequisites, but those are pretty good methods for now.
    NightmareSr
    Bob
    Harad Navar
    Bob

So is this the way that 2nd and 3rd characters can get xp, just via Azoth? Or is it just cause on DT accounts?
    Since you mentioned xp purchased with Azoth would be less efficient or more expensive than with monthly subscription, I was hoping it would be an addition to subscriptions for other characters.
    - Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
    Bob
    NightmareSr
    So is this the way that 2nd and 3rd characters can get xp, just via Azoth? Or is it just cause on DT accounts?
    Since you mentioned xp purchased with Azoth would be less efficient or more expensive than with monthly subscription, I was hoping it would be an addition to subscriptions for other characters.

The "Purchase XP with Azoth" feature is really for any character. You'd use it when you're willing to pay a bit extra to get the XP right now, instead of waiting for it to build up over time. In particular, it would be a good way to catch your 2nd and 3rd characters up to your 1st character.

The "Subscribe Individual Characters" feature lets you start building up XP on your 2nd and 3rd characters over time, so that would be the the cheapest way to eventually get XP on those characters. If you've got a Destiny's Twin, you'd only need to pay for the 3rd character to have them all earning XP. You could also purchase them some instant XP on top of that to speed things up. Mix and match as you will.

Bob
    Smitty
    If opening the flood gates to buy xp - don’t forget about the army of folks that will scream Pay to Win -

That's a risk, but our goal is always to balance any premium purchases such that skill, strategy, persistence, and other unpaid traits are essential to success. At the very least, XP doesn't do all that much good without earning the right achievements, and those generally take a fair amount of time in-game to earn.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post