Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Experience Point Options

Edam
You are a Troll
LOL - for once I agree with Edam….since EARLY enrollment is technically a super long Beta Test, NO ONE should be able to buy XP dating back to the beginning of it, but only back to the beginning of OPEN ENROLLMENT.

However, how about some info on how GW/Paizo plans on getting some actual people willing to play the game long enough to even have the remote thought of actually wanting to drop more cash than the sub fee to buy xp? If Open Enrollment is looming, whats the marketing plan?

It is also worth pointing out that subs are dropping in price substantially.

Unless purchasing XP ends up something like 4 or 5 times more expensive then the new sub rate, it is highly feasible purchasing XP to get a new character backdated to EE Day 1 will cost vastly less than it cost to get the same XP by keeping a character permanently subbed.

Players should be able to buy XP to get characters to whatever level an Open Enrolment character can attain by remaining subbed and no more.
Harad Navar
I agree with the limit on purchasing XP start from D1 of open enrollment, ie EE18 release date.
[EDIT: A possible better modification is to set the limit at 1/2 of XP from EE18 release.]
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Bob
You are a Troll
However, how about some info on how GW/Paizo plans on getting some actual people willing to play the game long enough to even have the remote thought of actually wanting to drop more cash than the sub fee to buy xp? If Open Enrollment is looming, whats the marketing plan?

We don't have any specific marketing plans to announce at the moment. Our focus right now is on getting the build out.
Gross
Since we are now using the new account system and its seems to have shaken out successfully any more thought going into respec or azoth bought additional XP?

My Forgeholm toon Profit is grinding away at present and is at a decision point.

He was created after the discussion of respec last year so in crafting he is L1-L2 in everything except T2 sage (220+ crafting achievement) and is now gated to T2 for everything. Now it depends on respec in a sense, if a full respec will be possible he will just keep levelling up all gathering/refining/crafting evenly to L3 and be fully supported by Forgeholm, with the intention to wipe later but if not he needs to start to train higher sage (by temporarily moving to a higher supported settlement at each level and then popping back).

Since he was subbed to be a refiner in the long term to support Gross the T3 artificer and Net the T2 Iconographer with ingredients for charges pretty much any form of respec suits him, even a complete wipe, losing 3000 kills with focus or 5000 with staff accumulated over the last few months is not an issue and by using +3 mats crafted by others and settlement raw materials he can re-gate to his current sage level in a few days at most and then use the other Xp to go a level or two higher.

But I can see how gatherers / crafters / combat characters would be seriously hit by a respec wiping achievements, a L17/17/17/17 gatherer would need 10,000 nodes or many hours of game time to regate, similarly a T3 combat capable character would need 8,000 kills per weapon to be fully rebuilt with L6 attacks so at least 16,000 for 2 weapons while a crafter would need to redo all their gates taking weeks of queue time. Forgetting recipe and expendable are of course the other 2 factors for crafters and combat characters.

So the 2 questions - will there be respec? what form?
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Bob
We probably won't have much time to finalize the respec plans until the Alchemist has shipped and we've finalized the plans for spreading escalations. We do still plan on implementing some form of respec, but haven't decided on the exact form it will take.
Rhethwyn
Edam
Players should be able to buy XP to get characters to whatever level an Open Enrolment character can attain by remaining subbed and no more.

I've been told EE characters were able to develop things like Spellcraft 20 without having to clear gates. I'm amused that senior players are upset about the idea of purchased advantages being available to new players.

I agree in principle, but not with your proposed cut-off.

I don't feel anyone should be able to buy more experience than the game has generated since inception - if I can still buy a "Day 1 Destiny's Twin" character, equivalent experience up to that amount is appropriate. Beyond that I can't think of a valid argument.

As to pricing, it could be commensurate with how much XP an active character would have garnered - i.e. approximately 73,050 for a monthly subscription price for $5.00.

Additionally, all that tasty XP would only be available to characters which post-date OE 1.0.

(Not personally planning on even using purchased XP, but the counter-argument needed voicing.)smile
NightmareSr
Rhethwyn
As to pricing, it could be commensurate with how much XP an active character would have garnered - i.e. approximately 73,050 for a monthly subscription price for $5.00.
The $5 per character per month started with OE 1.0, before that it was $15 per month per account (which was 1 character at a time). Hence why others proposed a cap at the max for a OE 1.0 character. Anything more than that would be difficult to equalize the pricing.
Rhethwyn
Additionally, all that tasty XP would only be available to characters which post-date OE 1.0.
And really?!? So you are suggesting that you should be able to buy XP but I can't when I spent $15 per month for 1 character to gain xp for a year before OE, and you would get a larger benefit for paying $5 per month after OE?
smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Edam
In reality respecs are generally only essential in a game that have an XP cap as in those games you are kinda stuffed if the game changes and you are already at the cap. In this game however, you can just train the new feats anyway regardless of what you have previously trained so respecs are not necessarily needed.

HOWEVER regardless of whether respecs are actually necessary, I can see how respecs may become a lucrative cash cow and at this stage any way of getting more cash into the game is never a bad thing. This is the big plus of respecs, a potential income stream for the game.

The downside of respecs will come with PvP as cashed up veterans with loads of accumulated XP will be able to take relatively instant advantage of any new optimal feats/races/roles whereas everyone else will need to train them the hard way. Needing achievements will limit this a bit but is still an issue.

One question. In some games respecs come at an XP cost, for example if you respec a character with one million XP they only get 950,000 back to play with. Is that happening here or is it a straight out pay your money and get to swap out your training sort of thing ?
Rhethwyn
NightmareSr
Rhethwyn
And really?!? So you are suggesting that you should be able to buy XP but I can't when I spent $15 per month for 1 character to gain xp for a year before OE, and you would get a larger benefit for paying $5 per month after OE?
smile

I told you my "dry wit" gets lost in translation online. Hell, it gets lost in translation offline for that matter.

I was playing devil's advocate there toward the end, but the entire thing was written with my tongue firmly lodged in the cheek.

(You did school me concerning the EE $15 set-up, though. I had thought the accounts always had 3 character slots. If you were paying $15/month for a single character you are far more dedicated than I believe I would have been at the time.)
NightmareSr
We had 3 character slots but only 100 xp per hour for the account. So if you wanted you could pause xp on one character to accrue on a different one but not multiple gaining 100 xp/he.
I left my main character "training" in order to get the most out of one.
The other 2 we're limited to 1,000 xp when I started and eventually when free trial accounts were made possible my other 2 got a boost to the new start of 75,000 xp. However until Dec. 2019 only one character to gain xp at a time, for $15/mo.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post