Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Experience Point Options

Bob
Edam
In some games respecs come at an XP cost, for example if you respec a character with one million XP they only get 950,000 back to play with. Is that happening here or is it a straight out pay your money and get to swap out your training sort of thing ?

We haven't decided exactly how this would work. I can say we're not looking for respecs to have overly punishing consequences. Taking a percentage of XP during the respec is certainly possible, but might cross that line, particularly if there are already other inherent consequences like losing achievements and not getting refunds for the coin paid to train.
Rhethwyn
Bob
Edam
In some games respecs come at an XP cost, for example if you respec a character with one million XP they only get 950,000 back to play with. Is that happening here or is it a straight out pay your money and get to swap out your training sort of thing ?

We haven't decided exactly how this would work. I can say we're not looking for respecs to have overly punishing consequences. Taking a percentage of XP during the respec is certainly possible, but might cross that line, particularly if there are already other inherent consequences like losing achievements and not getting refunds for the coin paid to train.

All sarcasm and wit aside, I would like to submit that players purchase XP with our subscriptions. Perhaps it would be OK to allow a respec in the first 90 days of the account, before having to pay for one? PFO is one of the most robust MMOs I've ever played when it comes to character creation; there's quite a plateful for a pup to learn straight out of the gate.

University Commons would doubtless add such a tidbit up as part of their curriculum.
Edam
Rhethwyn
Bob
Edam

All sarcasm and wit aside, I would like to submit that players purchase XP with our subscriptions. Perhaps it would be OK to allow a respec in the first 90 days of the account, before having to pay for one? PFO is one of the most robust MMOs I've ever played when it comes to character creation; there's quite a plateful for a pup to learn straight out of the gate.

University Commons would doubtless add such a tidbit up as part of their curriculum.

That sounds reasonable.

The main objection would be it is not teaching new players to play the game as it was originally intended … it was meant to be a no XP cap game that encourages cross training and is totally unsuited to min/maxing. However because min/max power building habits acquired from other games are pretty hard to break people out of, it probably makes little difference.

Of course one viable alternative to seriously consider is, if we are actually going the route of making PFO more like "other" games (with respecs etc) is consider actually introducing an XP cap (say two million XP). That will force people to make meaningful choices, and pay for a respec if something new does not fit, just like happens in all the other games with respecs.

Bringing in an XP cap would bring the game back into line with the min/max style of play that so many people love and also increase the demand (and hence income) from respecs as well. You might of course also want to cut out a lot of the multicharacter functionality of this game (things like alchemists using daredevil for example so people wanting to use features for a different role will need to pay to respec into that role.

None of that is my persoanl first choice but its an obvious follow on from allowing respecs that should be considered.
NightmareSr
Edam
… (things like alchemists using daredevil for example so people wanting to use features for a different role will need to pay to respec into that role.
Seriously? Already with bagging on the alchemist multi-classing? The poor role isn't even out yet!
Oh right, you like you cleric going all rogue with healer armor, star slinger, and Daredevil.
The alchemists at least learn their abilities like Rogues, not just have them handed over from some deity even when they abandon the domain and slot Daredevil. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Edam
NightmareSr
Edam
… (things like alchemists using daredevil for example so people wanting to use features for a different role will need to pay to respec into that role.
Seriously? Already with bagging on the alchemist multi-classing? The poor role isn't even out yet!
Oh right, you like you cleric going all rogue with healer armor, star slinger, and Daredevil.
The alchemists at least learn their abilities like Rogues, not just have them handed over from some deity even when they abandon the domain and slot Daredevil. smile

Daredevil is too overpowered and elf - like for Edam smile … he prefers to slot a a good dwarven feature like Sanctified. Also he uses a wizard staff with Fire Mastery, not Star Slinger. Star Slinger is too much a one trick pony, the rest of the dagger attacks are next to useless, you end up with a one attack weapon

Edam actually runs:
T3 Healer Armor (cleric)
T3 Focus (Cleric)
Sanctified (Rogue)
Bleeding Attack (Rogue)
Fire Mastery (Wizard)
and either a T2 Longsword (Fighter/Cleric)
or a T3 Wizard Staff (Wizard)
T3 Priest Holy Symbol (Cleric)
T3 Toolkit (Expert)

He is actually Expert 20, Rogue 16, Freeholder 16, Cleric 16, Wizard 16 and Fighter 15 (must level that it ruins the symmetry)

In keeping with his jack of all trades approach he will almost certainly now train some Alchemist. Probably to 16.
NightmareSr
Sheesh I was just teasing. Also I didn't mean Edam, I meant one of your other characters haha smile smile <teasing again>.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post