Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Improved Base Camp

Harad Navar
As long as I am wishing, I think the base camp could stand some improvement (added to the future list like a shutdown timer).

1. On shutdown the base camp transforms into a mule with the camp contents. Alternatively, let the owner generate a mule before taking down the camp. When the mule is generated this takes down the camp. This would allow the owner to use the mule of their choice (as long as the actually have a crafted mule saddlebag on them).

2. Give the owner a choice at the time of placing the deed to allow access to either party, or company of the owner, or characters on the owner's friends list (but only one of these per setup, changeable after the camp is taken down and setup again, with existing 20-hr cool time). Adding friends list or company members will allow players in different time zones to participate in company activities without having to have the owner on line. This would be great for an extended gathering mission (or resource raid) or as a support function to territorial conquest. On the other hand it would be a great target for bandits of territory defenders.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
You are a Troll
If any of the player drop-able structures should get an upgrade, especially a MULE option upgrade, it should be the Smallhold (aka Freedomhold or Make The River Kingdoms Great Again hold or some other such nonsense) and not the cheaper Basecamp.
NightmareSr
The mule ability to either or both of those structures would be great IMO.
Although what about a step further and either allow us to craft a simple mule post structure and/or purchase a mule post that we can set down and use saddlebags where we want?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Edam
NightmareSr
Although what about a step further and either allow us to craft a simple mule post structure and/or purchase a mule post that we can set down and use saddlebags where we want?

There was a commitment made at some stage that nothing sold at the cash shop would offer features unavailable in some form elsewhere in game.

Generally speaking that is still the case. You can basically get the benefits of a crafter cottage for example by raising your settlement, there are other ways to get the sort of buffs offered by an adventure cottage etc etc. There are clearly advantages to buying the shop items or they would not sell but they do not offer anything substantial not already available elsewhere in game to some extent.

The simplest way to achieve this goal is make the mule stall a separate shop item that can be attached to any player housing OR player crafted camp.

My personal take:

• adding mule stalls to freeholds, cottages and camps would be useful and not particularly unbalancing
  • a good option would be a reasonable price paid "addon" with a separate deed you can attach to any player housing whether camp, adventure/crafting cottage or freehold. They should also work with crafted camps. On knocking down the relevant holding both deeds return to inventory.
  • a nice touch would be to have the mule stalls attached to things like freeholds work for all players all the time rather than just the owners party when the owner is logged in (the same way the campfire does).

Azure_Zero
Edam
NightmareSr

There was a commitment made at some stage that nothing sold at the cash shop would offer features unavailable in some form elsewhere in game.

Generally speaking that is still the case. You can basically get the benefits of a crafter cottage for example by raising your settlement, there are other ways to get the sort of buffs offered by an adventure cottage etc etc. There are clearly advantages to buying the shop items or they would not sell but they do not offer anything substantial not already available elsewhere in game to some extent.

The simplest way to achieve this goal is make the mule stall a separate shop item that can be attached to any player housing OR player crafted camp.

My personal take:

• adding mule stalls to freeholds, cottages and camps would be useful and not particularly unbalancing
  • a good option would be a reasonable price paid "addon" with a separate deed you can attach to any player housing whether camp, adventure/crafting cottage or freehold. They should also work with crafted camps. On knocking down the relevant holding both deeds return to inventory.
  • a nice touch would be to have the mule stalls attached to things like freeholds work for all players all the time rather than just the owners party when the owner is logged in (the same way the campfire does).

I think that the Mule stalls on; Holdings, Freeholds and Base camps should have a control system so the owner (or company in the case of holdings) can control Who can mule from the building.
So if a feud/fight happens a enemy can't mine out needed resources from a hex deep in the other's territory and escape with a load of goods on a Mule.
harneloot
Azure_Zero
Edam
NightmareSr

My personal take:

I think that the Mule stalls on; Holdings, Freeholds and Base camps should have a control system so the owner (or company in the case of holdings) can control Who can mule from the building.
So if a feud/fight happens a enemy can't mine out needed resources from a hex deep in the other's territory and escape with a load of goods on a Mule.

+1

Base Camps & Freeholds should operate under the same Blacklist restrictions that the owner's settlement has put in place, just like holdings do. This should include the fire.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Maxen
Be true to the sandbox. There should be very few “controls” set. Instead, put things in the world that I can interact with and allow me, the player, to be successful or not successful based on my skill.

For example, in fantasy reality, why would I erect a freehold in the middle of nowhere and leave it unguarded? If it’s unguarded, it should be fair game for skill checks to loot it or use of the fire to rest. Or even steal a mule. As the owner, if I want to protect it, allow me to purchase guards whose number and strength is determined by how much I pay. Voila! Coin sink! If I happen upon this holding and want to use/raid it, I need to defeat the guards. Voila! Content. As a single player, I probably won’t be able to accomplish this feat against 6 purple guards. Come back with my buddies. Voila! It’s an MMO and not a first person shooter.

Point being, the mechanics to run the game are in. Now we need less focus on mechanics and more opportunities for content.
NightmareSr
Maxen
Be true to the sandbox. There should be very few “controls” set. Instead, put things in the world that I can interact with and allow me, the player, to be successful or not successful based on my skill.

For example, in fantasy reality, why would I erect a freehold in the middle of nowhere and leave it unguarded? If it’s unguarded, it should be fair game for skill checks to loot it or use of the fire to rest. Or even steal a mule. As the owner, if I want to protect it, allow me to purchase guards whose number and strength is determined by how much I pay. Voila! Coin sink! If I happen upon this holding and want to use/raid it, I need to defeat the guards. Voila! Content. As a single player, I probably won’t be able to accomplish this feat against 6 purple guards. Come back with my buddies. Voila! It’s an MMO and not a first person shooter.

Point being, the mechanics to run the game are in. Now we need less focus on mechanics and more opportunities for content.

+1 and more if I could.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
The Eternal Balance
Then does it not follow that the same should be true for the holdings - kill the guards and you can use the Inn, no feud required?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Maxen
The Eternal Balance
Then does it not follow that the same should be true for the holdings - kill the guards and you can use the Inn, no feud required?

I believe the same rules should apply. I’ve long argued that high, medium, and low security hex settings should come with a cost in the form of bulk or coin. It’s a risk versus reward proposition to protect my assets. That said, if I’m paying the cost of high security protection, it better be good enough where it would take a full team and coordinated effort to take the defenses down and not a couple characters kiting the guards with star knives.

With respect to feuding, that should be a company or settlement level activity. If a small band of miscreants want to go on a looting spree, they shouldn’t have to announce their intentions. Let them interact with whatever defenses the owner has decided to put up.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post