Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Can we un-nerf Chill Touch now?

Edam
The Eternal Balance
As it was, before the nerf, it turned Wizard's into better tanks than fully geared out Unbreakable warriors.

Geared out unbreakable warriors are cr@p tanks at T3 anyway. Firstly because saves become more important than resistances at T3 and secondly because much less T3 incoming damage is physical compared to lower tiers. Unbreakable heavy armor is just a sub optimal choice at T3 against most opponents.

My personal (outspoken) opinion is this is how it always should be, a heavily armored melee character should wipe the arena at low levels but should start to suffer at higher levels as more and more magic comes into play. I have real life friends that try and play TT games as historical medieval knights and of course totally disagree with me on this.

Generally however i think this WAS the main pre-nerf objection … it did not fit some peoples idea of "canon" where in a Gary Gygax based vision of things wizards are to be seen as glass canons. However it is worth noting that the fantasy combat melee monster of all time was Gandalf from the LoTR trilogy who waded into melee combat in robes at every opportunity. It is only really old school TT players who grew up with the idea that wizards are weak in melee that have an issue with melee wizards.

Back on topic - as far as pre-nerf wizards go, my observation of people doing it at high levels was the trick worked but was risky. Firstly they were more or less stuck in melee without any real ability to retreat as if they abandoned their healing source they died. If too much ranged comes their way they die(the same way star knife throwers tend to). If there healing sources died they also were in trouble. Basically, these guys did not just wade into the middle of combat randomly, they stayed away from ranged and tried to isolate a big target with lots of HP they could use to heal. Since the nerf, a number of other changes in PvE, including the way the AI will now switch all the ranged to someone soaking up too much damage, have made the style even less optimal.

The current state of play has made the technique useless in PvE. If the intention of the "balance" was to get rid of melee wizards in PvE it worked.

If the intention of the nerf on the other hand was to create a more even playing field in PvP … that is a more open question as there is not enough PvP going on to actually tell what effect the nerf has had on PvP. There may be no-one using it at all or there may be negative mastery necromancer PvP toons out there that, being PvP, we will never hear about until they actually show up in battle.
Stormygeddon
Maxen
Frankly, star knife has replaced Chill Touch as king of the OP mountain. That will certainly change when deity and alignment requirements become a thing.

It is worth noting that the current plan for deity feats like starknife and firewhirl are quite different to what was originally discussed,

The original 4.2 release notes merely said that to slot a sanctified feat you needed to be a member of the appropriate church.

The recent discussions on starknife have implied sanctified attacks will eventually require you slot the relevant domain not just be a member of the correct faction. This is not a minor thing, this is a huge change (seemingly by stealth) in how sanctified attacks are going to eventually work.
Bob
Stormygeddon
The recent discussions on starknife have implied sanctified attacks will eventually require you slot the relevant domain not just be a member of the correct faction. This is not a minor thing, this is a huge change (seemingly by stealth) in how sanctified attacks are going to eventually work.

My searching abilities may just be failing me, but I'm not finding anything where we implied that. It's possible it was floated as an option at some point, but generally what we've focused on is that feats like domains and sanctified attacks were intended as faction rewards. We're not sure exactly how those will get implemented, but the important point is that learning/using them requires attaining/maintaining a high faction rank. Beyond that general statement, I don't believe we've committed to many specifics.
Edam
That is good news, forcing a sanctified weapon user to always slot a deity domain would be very limiting.

Slightly offtopic from Desna and starknives, back in 2015 Stephen Cheney made the following response to a question about Sarenrae attacks and domains:

Stephen Cheney
( … there's one more Sarenrae feat that's missing an effect so isn't yet available).

In addition to the Perception bonus, Sun is intended to grant a bonus against Undead, once I have the tech to use creature type as a conditional (no ETA).

The missing sword attack is interesting in itself, but more importantly now that we have undead bane weapon enchantments is it still a big job to add the undead bonus to Sun Domain ?
The Eternal Balance
Edam
That is good news, forcing a sanctified weapon user to always slot a deity domain would be very limiting.

As long as Starknife requires ammo, The Balance is in agreement.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Bob
Edam
Slightly offtopic from Desna and starknives, back in 2015 Stephen Cheney made the following response to a question about Sarenrae attacks and domains:

Stephen Cheney
( … there's one more Sarenrae feat that's missing an effect so isn't yet available).

In addition to the Perception bonus, Sun is intended to grant a bonus against Undead, once I have the tech to use creature type as a conditional (no ETA).

The missing sword attack is interesting in itself, but more importantly now that we have undead bane weapon enchantments is it still a big job to add the undead bonus to Sun Domain ?

It looks like other feature feats can handle similar conditionals, so I may be able to add something in with just a spreadsheet change. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

There do seem to be a few other feats, attacks in particular, that were only waiting on "if undead" or other conditionals we added for enchantments. I'll take a quick look around and see if a few of those can be added as well.
Smitty
chill touch would be nice to have back…

but for those wizards that still want to tank..

weakening ray ( secondary) basically applies the same condition as the old chill touch- it does take up a secondary slot, instead of primary- causes opportunity and 1 second slow- as opposed to chill touch.

Yet other than that - it still applies 10 drained like chill touch did-

if you run a drain mastery in reactive then one shot of weakening ray to a mob is usually enough to keep DC healing at the 5% level.( or just cast weakening ray when needed.. if you like other mastery things.)

PS dont nerf this one.
the 5% cure instead of 7%
was probably enough the first time around..
can stand toe to toe with most anything 1 v 1 but cant take on whole groups of stuff anymore..

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post