Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Roadmap Web Page

Schedim
Azure_Zero
I hope Goblinworks gets the PVP flag states and what each state means right,
as the PVP in this game currently sucks and is TOO in favor of the Non-PVP players.

That game was way more exciting when we had Zycor running around causing chaos, folks were one their feet, playing, and using their social contacts within the game.
If you want that buzz to happen, the PVP gate needs more opening then what it is.

Absolutely, I really sucks on PvP and such, but I still remembers the excitement sneaking up in Copper Hill (renamed to ZKM later) avoiding Golgota guards, and bribing those who actually found you.

Without any PvP monsters here it is just a poor minecraft lookalike.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Azure_Zero
Just looked over the Raodmap again, and thought I'd put down my thoughts on a number of the items;

Per Character Subscriptions:
This is nice, But how will it interact with DT accounts?

Alchemists:
Nice to get a new class, but I hope it won't be the new OP thing that everyone jumps on.

New Escalation/Sequence:
This is a great New Year's tradition, But given the game's current population and number of active settlements, I ask that the number of hexes seeded with the sequence are cut down, as we have not even finished half of what was left from last year, so yeah cut it down to a number equal to say 2 to 2 and a half times the number of active settlements. What'll define 'active settlement' as a definition is that the settlement can't of been shutdown for more then a month for the whole year.

Spreading Escalations:
This is good, in that it'll keep folks busy and tending to their holdings.
Though I ask that if a hex has been infested for say a month, that any holding and it's outposts degrade by one like in a capture, so as to slowly clean out the dead company and settlement claims.

XP Purchases:
I hope this gets a cap so one can't have more exp then a day 1 account and so day 1's can not buy their way into being level 20 in everything the second it's available.

Respecs:
Breaking one of the Kickstarter rules, in that respects were never to be allowed.
But since it's coming, so far it's not a bad, but could be more costly to really make player think about it and that includes wiping the recipes learned.

Expanded Escalations and Additional Elite Escalations:
A nice thing, but we need a completely new type of escalation, one that can sow chaos and put players and settlements on alert with their feet on the ground and a focus to kill it fast.
This new PVE escalation type should be designed to sow chaos to the mundane operations of the game's day to day, as a small band of Zycor's would.
I do have an idea of how to do it along with a number of it's mechanics, but that'll need a whole new thread.

Flag for PvP:
This needs to be done right, and the risk vs reward for PVP need to be big. When I say big I mean that it changes the game completely for the player opting in or out of PVP.
I mean access to; claiming territory, placing holdings, entering low sec hexes, level caps, etc.

Deities:
While I can say this is a step in the right direction, I think the order is a bit off. But given the game's population it's the better start point.
Also since I'm still here, add in Kurgress to the list of the initial release of deities.
Bringslite
There is lots of good stuff here and as great a plan as any. I do not see anything about an upgrading of the engine (unless I missed it).

So I am curious if some of these things will create problems, later, that cause much back recoding for the newer engine version's requirements?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Schedim
Bringslite
There is lots of good stuff here and as great a plan as any. I do not see anything about an upgrading of the engine (unless I missed it).

So I am curious if some of these things will create problems, later, that cause much back recoding for the newer engine version's requirements?

I think the upgrade to Unity 5/2019/whatever could be a real horror, I did one in a small hobby project and that was … problematic. Hopefully there has been other large that have done it now and there are some experience to draw on that.

And of Deities I vote for Hanspur of course, he is from the Riverland so he should actually be the only God introduced!
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Azure_Zero
Schedim
Bringslite

I think the upgrade to Unity 5/2019/whatever could be a real horror, I did one in a small hobby project and that was … problematic. Hopefully there has been other large that have done it now and there are some experience to draw on that.

And of Deities I vote for Hanspur of course, he is from the Riverland so he should actually be the only God introduced!

Yeah I can imagine the tip of the iceberg of the work needed for the unity upgrade; materials and shaders I know have been overhauled, and number of features and functions deprecated and replaced, add in that PFO is running a custom version of Unity 4.
You can tell it'll be a hell of a time upgrading things, I figure it would take them a fully-focused year to get the upgrade done.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Per Character Subscriptions:
This is nice, But how will it interact with DT accounts?

As part of this change, we'll be explicitly marking which characters are DT's of each other. Those two characters will always be subscribed (or not subscribed) as a pair, in line with the original plans for them.

Azure_Zero
New Escalation/Sequence:
This is a great New Year's tradition, But given the game's current population and number of active settlements, I ask that the number of hexes seeded with the sequence are cut down, as we have not even finished half of what was left from last year, so yeah cut it down to a number equal to say 2 to 2 and a half times the number of active settlements. What'll define 'active settlement' as a definition is that the settlement can't of been shutdown for more then a month for the whole year.

There's a certain amount of overhead to adding some kind of eligibility requirement, but it would be possible to do something along those lines. My initial thought was just to make the sequences significantly shorter this time, particularly with spreading escalations getting added in a month or two later.

Azure_Zero
Spreading Escalations:
This is good, in that it'll keep folks busy and tending to their holdings.
Though I ask that if a hex has been infested for say a month, that any holding and it's outposts degrade by one like in a capture, so as to slowly clean out the dead company and settlement claims.

The exact mechanics haven't been decided on, but yes, part of the idea is that having one of your hexes infected will eventually result in the holding shutting down if you don't do anything about it. In general, we don't want to turn fending off spreading escalations into too much of a chore, and our definition of chore will be pretty generous for now, but spreading escalations will increase the likelihood that abandoned holdings will fall, and eventually that abandoned settlements will shut down for lacking DI.

Azure_Zero
XP Purchases:
I hope this gets a cap so one can't have more exp then a day 1 account and so day 1's can not buy their way into being level 20 in everything the second it's available.

We haven't finalized the mechanics/limits for this yet. The goal is to find the right balance between letting players make reasonable use of this feature and respecting the XP players already have. Hard caps may be part of that, increasing costs are another possibility.

At the very least, advancing always involves a certain amount of gameplay through the achievement prerequisites. Even if you could purchase enough XP to reach level 20 (and there very well may be unplayed day 1 characters out there sitting on that amount of XP), you couldn't just enter the game and immediately learn all the feats to hit level 20.

Azure_Zero
Respecs:
Breaking one of the Kickstarter rules, in that respects were never to be allowed.
But since it's coming, so far it's not a bad, but could be more costly to really make player think about it and that includes wiping the recipes learned.

We still want to make sure that past advancement choices are meaningful choices, but blocking all forms of respecs seems unnecessarily restrictive for achieving that goal. What's important is finding the right balance of costs in exchange for those respecs. Causing recipes to be forgotten would be one way to increase those costs, though it would be a high cost for someone planning to relearn those crafting skills and no cost at all for someone planning not to relearn them. The same could be said of losing certain achievements, but they also provide category points that are more broadly useful, so the cost hits a larger percentage of players.

Azure_Zero
Expanded Escalations and Additional Elite Escalations:
A nice thing, but we need a completely new type of escalation, one that can sow chaos and put players and settlements on alert with their feet on the ground and a focus to kill it fast.
This new PVE escalation type should be designed to sow chaos to the mundane operations of the game's day to day, as a small band of Zycor's would.
I do have an idea of how to do it along with a number of it's mechanics, but that'll need a whole new thread.

We'd certainly like to explore more PvE experiences, but these particular items made it onto the list because they don't require any new code. That makes them good choices for updates that are already heavy on codework but low on design/testing.

Azure_Zero
Flag for PvP:
This needs to be done right, and the risk vs reward for PVP need to be big. When I say big I mean that it changes the game completely for the player opting in or out of PVP.
I mean access to; claiming territory, placing holdings, entering low sec hexes, level caps, etc.

The overall goal is to be welcoming to PvP-averse players. Restrictions on claiming territory or placing holdings are completely appropriate, since those actions are inherently forms of PvP ("There's a very limited amount of this, and I claim this one, so you can't"smile. Not being able to enter claimed hexes set to low security might be okay ("I'm paying a price in blood or treasure to keep you out of here, but there are plenty of other hexes you can explore"smile, but it might be better to just say they can't gather there or that they get heavily taxed in some way (depends on how welcoming it is to let specific monster hexes get blocked off for long periods of time, versus letting them get blocked off for more like a day at a high price). Level caps, on the other hand, seem pretty unwelcoming, since they'd significantly impact a character's PvE capabilities.

Azure_Zero
Deities:
While I can say this is a step in the right direction, I think the order is a bit off. But given the game's population it's the better start point.

This is here largely because there are already so many aspects of the game implemented that touch on deities, but feel incomplete without at least some ability to follow those deities. It also felt like a good step toward factional PvP. Not that we'd necessarily get that aspect in right away, but having the deity factions set up would give us something to hook such PvP up to, making it that much easier to implement, in turn making it a more compelling choice for future updates.

Azure_Zero
Also since I'm still here, add in Kurgress to the list of the initial release of deities.

In some ways, adding more deities would be relatively easy. A lot depends on just how deeply each deity gets incorporated. If it's just a question of adding them as a deity to be followed, with a faction to earn points in, that's probably trivial. Hooking up things like temples, domains and sanctified attacks adds a fair amount of overhead to each deity, and in some cases may call for additional code in order to implement them in a remotely satisfying way. Kurgess, for example, favors the javelin, which we don't really support. However, he does support some domains we already include, so that might make him a little easier to implement. Other deities might only support domains we've yet to implement, and some of those domains might not work well with our existing combat effects. Admittedly, some current domains don't yet work quite the way they were intended to, but at least we were able to find alternative effects for now. We can probably do the same for plenty of other domains, but I suspect some would be pretty difficult to reflect in any meaningful way without new code.

We're also looking at aligning the deities better with Pathfinder Second Edition, so it will probably be easier to talk about the deities that have already been adapted for that.

Still, sometimes folks just want to worship a particular deity, regardless of the consequences, so we could look at getting more of them into the game in a limited way if that appeals to enough players.
Bob
Bringslite

That's still on the long-term plans, but will be a major undertaking and didn't feel like the best choice for the next batch of updates given our current resources.

Fortunately, none of the things we're working on should conflict significantly with a future Unity upgrade. They do add to the overall size of the codebase, and so there will be more existing code to review, but most are in areas that have been heavily abstracted away from any specific Unity code, and others (like Per Character Subscriptions and Respecs) largely involve back-end server code that doesn't touch Unity at all.
Bringslite
Bob
Bringslite

That's still on the long-term plans, but will be a major undertaking and didn't feel like the best choice for the next batch of updates given our current resources.

Fortunately, none of the things we're working on should conflict significantly with a future Unity upgrade. They do add to the overall size of the codebase, and so there will be more existing code to review, but most are in areas that have been heavily abstracted away from any specific Unity code, and others (like Per Character Subscriptions and Respecs) largely involve back-end server code that doesn't touch Unity at all.

Good news to read. I dislike the concept of you guys adding a tremendous more amount of work/pressure on yourselves than is needed.

Thank you, Bob!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Bob
At the very least, advancing always involves a certain amount of gameplay through the achievement prerequisites. Even if you could purchase enough XP to reach level 20 (and there very well may be unplayed day 1 characters out there sitting on that amount of XP), you couldn't just enter the game and immediately learn all the feats to hit level 20.

Not really the case with refiners, it is very fiddly but you just need a day or two of crafting, a handful of uncommon recipes and some mats to get two crafts to 20. Example of Sawyer/Tanner:

1. Train Sawyer 2 and Tanner 2 (CON 10.17)
  2. make a Yew Shaft +2 and Basic Strips +2 (adds 12 craft points)(CON 10.17, 12 craft points)
  3. Train Sawyer 5 and Tanner 5 (CON 11.92, 12 craft points)
  4. make a Yew Shaft +3 and Basic Strips +3 (adds 8 craft points)(CON 10.17, 20 craft points)
  5. Learn and make a Pine Post +3 and a Basic Leather Sheet +3 (adds 20 craft points) (CON 11.92 CON, 40 craft points)
  6. train Sawyer and Tanner to level 8 (CON 13.27, 40 craft points)
  7. Make Advanced Strips +1 and Maple Shafts +1 (adds 6 craft points)(CON 13.27, 46 craft points)
  8. Train Sawyer 10 and Tanner 10 (CON 15.26, 46 craft points)
  9. Make Advanced Strips +3 and Maple Shafts +3 (adds 14 craft points)(CON 15.26, 60 craft points)
  10. Train Sawyer 12 and Tanner 12 (CON 17.76, 60 craft points)
  11. Learn and make Oak Bar +3 and Advanced Hide Sheet +3 (adds 20 craft points) (CON 17.76, 80 craft points)
  12. Train Sawyer 14 and Tanner 14 (CON 20.75, 80 craft points)
  13. Train Smelter 2 and make Steel Blanks +2 (20.834, 86 craft points)
  14. Train Sawyer 16 and Tanner 16 (CON 24.32, 87 craft points)
  15. Learn and make Ghostwood Pole +1 and Shadowskin Sheet +1 (CON 24.32, 93 craft points)
  16. Train Smelter 3 and make Steel Blanks +3 (24.464, 97 craft points)
  17. Train Sawyer 17 and Tanner 17 (CON 26.394, 97 craft points)
  18. Learn and make Ghostwood Pole +2 and Shadowskin Sheet +2 (CON 26.394, 103 craft points)
  19. Train Sage to level 2 and make Sepia Crystal +2 (CON 26.394, 109 craft points)
  20. Train Sage to level 3 and make Sepia Crystal +3 (CON 26.394, 113 craft points)
  21. Train Weaver to level 2 and make Coarse yarn +2 (CON 26.394, 119 craft points)
  22. Train Weaver to level 3 and make Coarse yarn +3 (CON 26.394, 123 craft points)
  23. Train Sawyer 18 and Tanner 18 (CON 28.31, 123 craft points)
  24. Learn and make Ghostwood Pole +3 and Shadowskin Sheet +3 (CON 28.31, 131 craft points)
  25. Train Sawyer 19 and Tanner 19 (CON 30, 131 craft points)
  26. Train Sawyer 20 and Tanner 20

It is not instant, but basically providing you have access to recipes and mats - you only need a few hours player time and a few days crafting.

You have needed to use about 6 days XP to cross train some crafts to level 3 for some extra craft points and also learned some uncommon recipes your new crafter will want anyway and you used a few mats to make refined goods you can use elsewhere or sell. But a respecced character can have two crafts at level 20 in well under a week.

NOTE: this is not necessarily a problem or something to be concerned about, I am merely pointing out that refiners with enough XP and access to a settlements recipe and mat supplies can level up VERY quickly.
Harad Navar
Bob
Expendables are trickier, because you would get XP back by forgetting them, so players probably will often want to forget them as part of a respec. Also, technically they're feats once they're learned. Letting players remember expendables while forgetting every other feat is essentially the same as allowing partial respecs, though admittedly with a pretty simple rule for deciding what's remembered and what's forgotten. Maybe we'll find a straight-forward way to allow partial respecs, but as I mentioned, that gets pretty tricky and will likely involve a fair amount of effort. We may only be able to provide the nuclear option this first time around.
What if unwanted expendables etc could be re-written and given to or sold to someone else? Just as you might if (as a loot drop you didn't need or want) you never learned it in the first place. The writing out of these could cost the original XP cost of learning them as a trade off. Of course I could be missing something here that doesn't make that feasible.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post