Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Roadmap Web Page

Edam
TBH with one or two notable exceptions (Tevis' and Greater Holy Light come to mind) the game is flooded with expendables of all tiers and types. Having people handed back copies of every expendable they ever learnt will only exasperate the problem.
Smeltbane
I dinna ken why someone who 'as bin runnin abit blastin' orf Greater Holy Light or Polar Ray willy nilly for th' past three years should be gettin back the XP and expendable? That means they have gotten years a use ay it pure fur free.

Mah vote is they ur stuck wi' th' expendable an' if they ever qualify tae be usin it again, well then it becomes available tae slot again.
Harad Navar
There have been times when I wanted to refocus a character and wished I could write out something to give to another of my character without having to go find another copy.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Azure_Zero
Edam
TBH with one or two notable exceptions (Tevis' and Greater Holy Light come to mind) the game is flooded with expendables of all tiers and types. Having people handed back copies of every expendable they ever learnt will only exasperate the problem.

Agreed,

And think of losing them as part of the cost, no recouping coin to offset the coin lost in respecting.
That and it makes the potential loss of hard to get expendables also a cost and something to make one re-consider respecting their character.
Bringslite
My opinion (for what it's worth) is a sort of compromise as per what The Devs have suggested. You regress/respect your character. If you no longer qualify to operate the expendable (that you spent extra exp on to learn) it simply becomes un-usable, becoming re-usable if you (in future) re-qualify.

Some, that want a more punishing system for "choices", are going to disagree. That is a fine opinion but really does add to the complexity/work needed to get these feature options up and running and available for use. Why pile on more complex work than is absolutely needed?

New features and options ADD to the attractiveness of games. There comes a point though where if made too complicated/costly/punishing that the negative consequences become so prohibitive that no one will opt for the options that you worked so hard to give them. So why do the work and waste your precious Dev time on them?

The exp and coin is still effectively "lost" (at least for the time being) so the consequences are about the same.

Not suggesting that easy and free progression is always a great thing and (in fact) can actually be over done…but… More "stick" isn't going to make the game more appealing to the newer "upcoming" styles and demands of the newer player audience.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Edam
NOTE: this is not necessarily a problem or something to be concerned about, I am merely pointing out that refiners with enough XP and access to a settlements recipe and mat supplies can level up VERY quickly.

Very true, both refiners and crafters can get through their achievements pretty quickly if they already have access to the required ingredients. Of course, refiners and crafters can generally advance through their levels without necessarily doing much gameplay themselves if other characters are willing to provide them with the needed ingredients. Still, those items represent gameplay undertaken by someone, even if not the advancing characters themselves. If you include all the gameplay that took place before the respec, the advancement doesn't seem as quick as if you only consider the time between the respec and each new level.
harneloot
Two years ago the *Holiday Escalation Event* was cooperative, whereas last year it was competitive. I think the former is much healthier for the current PFO community given the limited number of players.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Bob
Harad Navar
What if unwanted expendables etc could be re-written and given to or sold to someone else? Just as you might if (as a loot drop you didn't need or want) you never learned it in the first place. The writing out of these could cost the original XP cost of learning them as a trade off. Of course I could be missing something here that doesn't make that feasible.

That's technically possible, and would certainly be useful in cases where a player learned an expendable and later wished they'd really taught that specific expendable to someone else instead. On the other hand, they can always get another copy through gameplay, or use coin to purchase one at an auction house. I suspect in most cases what players will want back is the XP, so that they can learn a different expendable instead.

However, we could still return the expendable itself along with the XP, just charge some coin/Azoth/whatever instead to balance things out. It would certainly be trickier than just returning the XP, but could be worth the effort if having to replace the expendable item was a real sticking point when deciding whether or not to respec. Once we have a clearer picture of costs/losses (be they coin, Azoth, achievements or whatever) involved with respecs, I think we'll have a clearer picture of how important lost expendables would feel as part of that and be better able to decide whether it's worth the effort to return them. Of course, the fact that they can be replaced through gameplay, trades or auction house purchases lowers their importance a bit. Still, I could see it being pretty aggravating if you just got unlucky and weren't able to replace a specific expendable for a long time after doing a big respec intending just to make your character a lot more efficient, not to take them down a completely different path with different expendables.
Edam
An alternative for expendables (at the expense of a bit of programming) would be to refund the XP but not the spell/manoeuvre itself. If at a later date the respecced character qualifies for the expendable again they then have the opportunity to relearn it by spending XP without needing to find a new copy. The simplest way to do this would be if they got issued invulnerable totally non transferable copies of the unlearnt expendables.

This gives people the XP back with access to previous expendables, but would prevent issues like asset stripping characters to acquire rare expendables for someone else.

However this would be a lot of work compared to just losing the expendables in exchange for the XP or simply having the expendables dormant until the character qualifies again.
Azure_Zero
harneloot
Two years ago the *Holiday Escalation Event* was cooperative, whereas last year it was competitive. I think the former is much healthier for the current PFO community given the limited number of players.

I disagree, I think a competitive event is healthier then the cooperative at this point;
One, a competitive event will incentivize players into playing and to win.
Two, a purely cooperative event means no incentive for some players, thus killing the game a bit more then it is.
Three, competitive can also be cooperative, but not the other way around, recall last year, who the North teamed up with another to beat Aragon to First place…..
Four, Even other games like PFO, i.e. Gloria Victis are making sure things don't get stagnant with the game by opening the PVP and competive window some more.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post