Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Attack Feat Placement

Phlux
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is something hidden on the back end, however, I am unable to place my attack feats in the slot i want them. I have purchased several arcane wand and Divine focus feats. When i equip the correct weapon for my feats, they are automatically slotted. I purchased new ones and they seem to only be slotted into specific sockets. My intent is to run wand main hand and focus off hand.

Examples:

I used every combination of two wands, two focuses, and empty hands. The results were the same. I did note that some of the feats can be slotted into the a slot i am not allowed to put them if they are put there from initially equiping the weapon.

Flare:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6

Frost Ray:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6

Ghostly Grasp:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6

Mage's Resistance:
Socket #4,5,&6
Not Socket #1,2,&3

Sonic Thrust:
Socket #4,5,&6
Not Socket #1,2,&3

Defending Weapon:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6

Minor Cure:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6

Holy Lance:
Socket #1,2,&3
Not Socket #4,5,&6
Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.
Wyspr
Some cantrips are designated as primary 1-3 or secondary 4-6. There is a bug where they are automatically allocated in slots which may not be correct. When you re-equip you can only put them in their correct location. I found the same on both rogue and mage.

I'm not 100% but this is my understanding.
shhh…
Nihimon
I'm not sure if this will help, but I noticed you can't drag them off the bar or drag them from one spot on the bar to another spot on the bar. However, I've always been able to drag them from the Feats Window to any (appropriate, primary or secondary) spot on the bar.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Decius
I found that I couldn't slot a secondary attack from my main-hand weapon if I had an incompatible off-hand weapon, but it would remain slotted if I later equipped one.
Phlux
Yeah after getting in game and playing more I noticed the Primary/Secondary thing (I couldn't see it until the feat was purchased and then slotted). I'm a bug magnet so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the P/S division within a limited action set. I feel that it is an additional handicap to game play both thematically and to optimization. There are a lot of limits so far and most I think are a good analog from PnP to MMO while also make the player choose their option carefully. It's just that this additional layer seems to take more away than it brings to the table.

Take wizard (one of two classes i'm familiar with) for example; you have wands or staffs. Wands are one-handed and does single target damage. Staffs do AOE and are two handed. Wands are weaker than staffs as you get the option to place something in your off-hand. (I know that this is not the case currently as balancing still needs to happen down the road. I expect it will end up this way as it does in all MMO's and even in PnP.) That option allows for versatility while the two-hander forgoes the versatility for added power.

We only have a total of 6 weapon based Attack Feats (spells) that we can slot. This is independent of what setup we are running; a two-handed weapon, a single one-handed weapon, or two one-handed weapons. In its current state the P/S thing just adds unneeded complications to a load out and forces players to place abilities on specific hot keys for no real reason. Since the P/S set up doesn't pull from separate resources and works independent of the weapon choice as the feats themselves are listed as primary or secondary. This makes some of your secondary weapon choices moot like dual wielding a pair of wands or daggers as they will have the same load out as using a single one.

This gets a little more complicated when we add the fact that we are playing an MMO and most of us use WASD. For years we have been conditioned to place our most used abilities on the 1-3 keys as they are the fastest and easiest to hit during combat. Using the P/S set up your particular "go to" ability may be on keys 4-6 or your rotation may be all over the keys. I don't see a reason why any ability within a set should be restricted to what key you want to press. Current technology will allow some of us to simply bypass this restriction by re-binding our keyboard inputs. Using these tools, like the Black Widow Keyboard, will place people that do not have them at a disadvantage in PvP and indirectly place them at a disadvantage in PvE.

At first I thought it was a bug, now I realize it's a feature. We are in Alpha so I wanted to bring it up for discussion as I can see it driving some of my more OCD guildmates to drink smile.
Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.
Nihimon
Phlux
Take wizard (one of two classes i'm familiar with) for example; you have wands or staffs. Wands are one-handed and does single target damage. Staffs do AOE and are two handed.

Not commenting on the opinions you expressed, but wanted to clarify that the above is not accurate. Wands and Staffs each have both Direct Damage and AOE Cantrips available for them. The primary difference is in Range; Wand Cantrips are short-range (20m) while Staff Cantrips are longer range (35m).
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Stephen Cheney
You're not meant to be able to dual wield with caster weapons. The offhand will ultimately be where you slot your charge container. It's a little buggy right now just in the case that you probably can equip a wand and a focus in either hand, but that's not the intended behavior.

But, yes, we recently got the tech in to make sure you can only put primary attacks from your main hand in 1-3 and secondary attacks from your off hand in 4-6. We've already discovered a couple of issues with dual wielding and the new system. If you find more (for intended dual wields) let us know.
Decius
Is it intended that clerics will be able to have a weapon and focus equipped at the same time, or should we be incurring the weapon swap time for switching between the two?
Stephen Cheney
The focus is a caster weapon. Once we have ammo in game, it will require charges like wand or staff, be slotted in the main hand, and need a charge gem that takes up your off hand slot.

So, yes, you'll need to flip to it the same as a wand. If it was in the off hand (or in the main hand with something else in the off hand) it wouldn't have any ammo available (once we have ammo).
Phlux
Cool, I can deal with the ammo/ weapon swap concept for the wands/ focus issue. It still doesn't do much to make me feel better about the primary/ secondary layer.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post