Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Deities nad Domains

Maxen
Bob,

Can you shed any light on plans to expand the selection of deities and their proper domains? Even linking future planned deities to currently available domains would be helpful. For example, I anticipate that if Toreg is introduced one of his domains would be Protection, but I hesitate spending XP on that until it's confirmed. Thanks.

Maxen
Azure_Zero
I'd like to see Kurgress as one of the starting deities as two of his domains are already in the game; Strength and Travel.
Bob
We've got a bunch of work to do with the existing deities first, scheduled for OE 6, but we do want to add some more deities after that. One of the complicating factors is that we'd like to move closer to Second Edition Pathfinder, and the domains have shifted a bit for that. That's part of the reason we want to get some kind of respecs in before tackling deities, so players can realign with any changes.

That said, if a domain didn't shift significantly between First and Second Edition, and if a deity supports that domain in Second Edition, you're safe learning it and switching to that deity, assuming that deity becomes available. Deities from the Second Edition Core Rulebook are a safe bet for inclusion, and would likely get top priority. Next up would be deities that get Second Edition that have had Second Edition writeups by the time we're considering them, particularly any with connections to the River Kingdoms and other aspects of our setting.

So, Torag and Protection feel pretty safe at this point, although Protection is problematic because Abadar no longer supports that in Second Edition. Might have to just grandfather that in for those who've already learned it, or maybe respecs will be easy enough to cover that. Kurgress is trickier if there hasn't been a Second Edition writeup yet (point me toward it if there is one), in which case I'm not sure which domains Kurgress would ultimately have.
Maxen
Thank you Bob. Very helpful info.

Maxen
BlackMoria
And yet, lots of questions remain. I checked the 2nd edition Pathfinder deities domains and there is a huge change. There is no longer any Glory, Strength or Charm domain (those are one's my characters are heavily invested in) but I am sure others will find other domains now missing in 2nd edition.

I didn't pick domains for their utility (like Travel domain for the movement boost). I pick them because they are a core thing for the clerics I picked. I am not comfortable with the possibility that I may have a re-spec forced on me because of 'sorry, guys, but Glory, etc domain will not be in the game anymore'. Grandfather them is my preferred route but I am concerned just what changes clerics will be forced through to make the cleric more 2nd edition Pathfinder like. Needless to say, I will be watching this with interest and no small amount of concern of how this develops.
Bob
It will be an interesting challenge when we get to this, but one of our main goals will be to minimize the consequences for anyone who made choices based on our original domain assignments, and to at least some extent on those who chose domains with various First Edition assignments in mind. All I know right now is that we want to move in that direction, and that there were a lot of changes that need to be thought through carefully.
Edam
I have not had a chance to play 2nd edition but my impression is 2nd Edition domains just grant a few free spells and not much more. If so, that does not really fit with the significant place domains occupy in this game.
Bob
Edam
I have not had a chance to play 2nd edition but my impression is 2nd Edition domains just grant a few free spells and not much more. If so, that does not really fit with the significant place domains occupy in this game.

We definitely make use of domains differently than Second Edition, or even First Edition for that matter, but we do like the fiction to match up where we can. We'll just have to see how much that desire conflicts with all our other design goals.
NightmareSr
Bob
Edam

We definitely make use of domains differently than Second Edition, or even First Edition for that matter, but we do like the fiction to match up where we can. We'll just have to see how much that desire conflicts with all our other design goals.
Couldn't the PFO domains of 1st edition remain and just add whatever 2nd edition domains you choose later? Or simply change the name of existing PFO domains to a name from 2nd edition and keep them mechanically the same? Renaming should work for the temples and such in the case where a PFO deity is missing from 2nd edition, I think.
I have fully checked the differences I am thinking about here, but just figured there might be a possibility along these ideas.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Bob
NightmareSr
Couldn't the PFO domains of 1st edition remain and just add whatever 2nd edition domains you choose later? Or simply change the name of existing PFO domains to a name from 2nd edition and keep them mechanically the same? Renaming should work for the temples and such in the case where a PFO deity is missing from 2nd edition, I think.

Yup, we could just grandfather in all the current domain assignments, only adding to them and never subtracting, then adjust everything around that as needed. We'd prefer to make everything match Second Edition, but something like that could be a workable compromise.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post