Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The Eternal Youth Sequence

Bob
Seekers from the Citadel starts out at 195k, but ultimately that number is pretty arbitrary, since I then adjust the strength rewards for mobs and events to match a vague "time to complete" target. In this case, my target was for Seekers to take about 30% longer to complete than Emerald Aristocrats, but to provide a lot more variety along the way (more phases, more events, more mob types).

One of the toughest issues with Seekers is how slowly things seem to be going at the beginning, which is largely the result of trying to have a single escalation cover a wide range of mob difficulties. The initial Water Bandits offer strength drops that average 1/10 those of the final Gravelands/Radiant mobs. If you can manage to kill the Water Bandits 10 times as quickly as the Gravelands/Radiant mobs, then the strength will drop at a relatively even rate throughout the escalation. However, it will still seem like you have to kill an awful lot of mobs to get a relatively low strength drop, which can make it seem like the later phases will require killing just as many mobs. In reality, it should require about 1000 average Water Bandits to get through the first phase, followed by 750 Razmirans, 450 Iron Fangs or Parastrics, 425 Usij, and finally 400 Gravelands or Radiant to get through the final phase.

I suspect I can make things feel a little better by reducing the strength differential to more like 1/8 by bumping up the strength drops at the low end. The result would be getting through the first phase a little more quickly. Adding a few more events and bumping up the strength drops for them might also help. Basically, I need to stretch the technical balance just enough to make the perception of progress feel acceptable, without actually breaking the balance completely. I may also have to fall back on some "expectation management" techniques, like throwing something into the text that comments on how the later mobs will offer much greater strength drops. It might also help to put some text in saying what the strength has to reach to get to the next phase. If it was clear that you only needed to go from 195k to 180k to reach the Razmiran phase, those smaller strength drops might feel like greater progress.

I'll try a few things out before adding this in to the regular rotation. It may also just feel better by itself, rather than last in a sequence after Over the Crown, making the first phase and its lower-level mobs feel like a step backwards in some ways.
NightmareSr
Well I was way off and malmuerta was right.
Also it very well might have been the fact that we attacked Water Bandit directly after fighting Ninjas that made it feel so slow and long.
I did really enjoy fighting some severely tougher versions of the 4 mobs that surround Thornkeep (Bandits, Cultist, Mercenaries and Necromancers). Even with the goblins not being there correct toughness it was fun.
I was getting a bit mad that the Usij pulled/pushed me around a ton into death, but Hard is Fun right? smile
Is it possible to get the recipes added for the Fez and Turbans that the mobs were wearing?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Bob
NightmareSr
Even with the goblins not being there correct toughness it was fun.

Yeah, I'd apparently set those goblin ghouls and the Iron Fang mages up incorrectly, each in their own unique incorrect way. That's been fixed so they'll be properly tough when the escalation goes into standard rotation.

NightmareSr
I was getting a bit mad that the Usij pulled/pushed me around a ton into death, but Hard is Fun right? smile

I hadn't actually realized they'd toss people around so much, very glad we fixed that blue-screen bug a while back because being tossed around would sometimes result in blue-screens. That also reminds me that I can probably put that effect back on the crystal turrets where some of them were initially intended to pull you in so you had to really commit to the battle instead of just pinging them from a distance, but the degree to which they did it tended to result in a lot of blue-screens. Should probably see if we can polish the effect up a little bit more to make it less disorienting first, or perhaps add some Freedom buffing to those effects so they don't get applied too many times in a row.

NightmareSr
Is it possible to get the recipes added for the Fez and Turbans that the mobs were wearing?

Those, as well as the Ninja outfits, are technically part of the Daily Deals from the Kickstarter. We haven't quite decided how to release those yet, but we do hope to get them on the Roadmap soon.
Edam
Bob
Those, as well as the Ninja outfits, are technically part of the Daily Deals from the Kickstarter. We haven't quite decided how to release those yet, but we do hope to get them on the Roadmap soon.

I am impressed after all this time you still know who is eligible for which daily deals smile

Just put the recipes for the Daily Deals on the cash shop for something like $5 each (or sell the lot as a set for a slightly higher price) and issue kickstarter people with a free copy of their relevant recipe which they can redeem at login.

With regard to the water bandits, a full party of T2/T3 whirlwind/cleave/wraiths-cry/etc AoE builds could take that section down in well under an hour by splitting up and soloing big mobs. It was actually good to have something where bleed/burn/afflicted DOT builds were NOT optimal for once.

Generally speaking ignoring the quests and blitzing was more effective at getting it down quickly at all levels of the final escalation but the obvious downside was you missed out on a lot of good stone/loot drops by blitzing.
NightmareSr
Edam
… It was actually good to have something where bleed/burn/afflicted DOT builds were NOT optimal for once.
Not for the guy who built a rogue for heavy bleeding/afflicted DOT effects per "someone's" advise, just to see that same advise giver run circles around the single target rogue. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Edam
NightmareSr
Edam
… It was actually good to have something where bleed/burn/afflicted DOT builds were NOT optimal for once.
Not for the guy who built a rogue for heavy bleeding/afflicted DOT effects per "someone's" advise, just to see that same advise giver run circles around the single target rogue. smile

lol .. so you are claiming that daredevil shortbow rogues are nerfed and actually need a buff to be viable ?

Regardless … I think that was more a "stand still and spin in circles" situation, rather than "run in circles" smile

Generally speaking …you do not see many people standing face to face with ninjas or aristcrats and doing stationary AoE attacks … just saying.
Bob
Edam
I am impressed after all this time you still know who is eligible for which daily deals smile

Last time we checked it looked like all the necessary data is still there, but we admittedly haven't actually tried to process it yet. Fingers tightly crossed.

Edam
Just put the recipes for the Daily Deals on the cash shop for something like $5 each (or sell the lot as a set for a slightly higher price) and issue kickstarter people with a free copy of their relevant recipe which they can redeem at login.

Something like that is an option, though we want to see what we can do to make sure we're respecting the spirit of the Kickstarter pledges as best we can, while still also doing what's best for the game.

Edam
With regard to the water bandits, a full party of T2/T3 whirlwind/cleave/wraiths-cry/etc AoE builds could take that section down in well under an hour by splitting up and soloing big mobs. It was actually good to have something where bleed/burn/afflicted DOT builds were NOT optimal for once.

Generally speaking ignoring the quests and blitzing was more effective at getting it down quickly at all levels of the final escalation but the obvious downside was you missed out on a lot of good stone/loot drops by blitzing.

Meaningful choices? smile
Bob
All the emails for the settlement rewards were sent out yesterday. If you were expecting one and didn't get it, email me at customer.support@pathfinderonline.com.

Feel free to wait on this year's choices until the Alchemist ships. That will make some new recipes and expendables available, and may affect your structure choice as well. I'm not sure yet whether any new structures will be needed, or whether I'll just distribute the training around existing structures, but either way you may want to change up some structures.

If you still have choices from the previous year's event, those will have to be made from pre-Alchemist options.
Bob
Looks like we had an issue with our customer support system and a bunch of these emails didn't go out. I'm correcting that now.
Bob
All fixed now and all the settlement reward emails were resent. If you still haven't received one, let me know at customer.support@pathfinderonline.com.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post