Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

UI: Menu Scrolling, Enter key confirmation

Rhethwyn
I think it would be swell if we could scroll through the various game menus with the scrollwheel on the mouse, and/or using the up and down arrow keys. Would that be difficult to implement?

Also, when harvesting mats it would be convenient to just hit the Enter key to confirm that I want to take everything.

I personally feel these tweaks would make the UI "friendlier".
Unknown Player
+1
Bob
The scrollwheel capability is quite possible, and a few of the scrollable windows already use it. The only problem is that we have to add it to each scrollable area separately, so it's not a quick universal fix. We do have it in our bug database as a feature request and plan to get to it eventually.

Arrow keys are a little bit trickier because we don't tend to enforce the concept of a primary/active/focused window. If you had two scrollable windows open, like a vault plus your inventory, we wouldn't be sure which window to scroll.

Enter has the issue of currently being used to start a chat entry, but any key used to mean essentially "do the main button on the screen" would also run into the issue of multiple windows.

We could potentially implement something where we highlighted the current button/scrollbars that various keys would activate. We already kind of do that for text entry, where once a cursor is in a field all the keys are locked to text entry, but that's a special case. I suspect keeping track of primary scrollbars/buttons would be a fair amount of work, but I'll file a feature request to consider it when we have a chance.
NightmareSr
If the various Vault windows could be made scrollable, it would be a wonderful start. Beginning with the Crafting, then Consumables, then etc etc. I suspect many players would like this change to start.
I would be happier if there was just a button on the top and bottom to move the scroll bar for my vaults since after the holiday event or a couple days of "deposit all" the whole window is horribly laggy to scroll.
I didn't ever realize that the "Enter" key started a chat. smile
On the topic of buttons and UI, is there a way to latch on the right-mouse button so that my mouse movements can turn my character without my middle finger getting sore?
I played a different game for a bit that has similar character control and complexity and they had a key that toggle a mouse on the screen and the mouse turning the toon, they also use "A" and "D" as strafe since the mouse turns the toon. Seemed a bit nicer and more dynamic. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Edam
By far the most annoying UI glitch for me is the fact that when you try and transfer a stack of items to inventory from a vault it pops up a quantity window BUT does not make that the active window for keystrokes. You need to click in the quantity window before typing your amounts or otherwise you trigger whatever attack is attached to the number you are typing.

The other annoyance is there seems to be no way to remap the expendables to anything other than the ALT-NUMBER keys.
Bob
Edam
By far the most annoying UI glitch for me is the fact that when you try and transfer a stack of items to inventory from a vault it pops up a quantity window BUT does not make that the active window for keystrokes. You need to click in the quantity window before typing your amounts or otherwise you trigger whatever attack is attached to the number you are typing.

We might be able to do that, since we do something similar when hitting Enter to start a chat message. I've filed a feature request to look into it when we have a chance.

Edam
The other annoyance is there seems to be no way to remap the expendables to anything other than the ALT-NUMBER keys.

It looks like keybinds for the alt key get a little complicated due to interactions with alt-tab, at least with the way our keybinds are currently implemented. I've filed a feature request to look into it, but it might not be worthwhile unless something else pushes us to make bigger changes to the whole keybind system.
Bob
NightmareSr
If the various Vault windows could be made scrollable, it would be a wonderful start. Beginning with the Crafting, then Consumables, then etc etc. I suspect many players would like this change to start.

We're pretty likely to start there. On the positive side, I'm pretty sure all the different vaults that can be tabbed between on a single window technically use the same scrollbar, so they can probably all be done at once. It's possible we use slightly different vault windows at holdings than at banks, or for other vault-equivalents, but hopefully they're all similar enough to be easily changed all at once.

NightmareSr
I would be happier if there was just a button on the top and bottom to move the scroll bar for my vaults since after the holiday event or a couple days of "deposit all" the whole window is horribly laggy to scroll

That could be useful, though of course we'd really like to make those long lists less laggy in the first place. I've added a feature request to look into it when we have a chance.

NightmareSr
On the topic of buttons and UI, is there a way to latch on the right-mouse button so that my mouse movements can turn my character without my middle finger getting sore?

I don't believe there's a way to toggle that at the moment. I'd worry that players could get themselves in trouble by toggling the cursor off and then forgetting how to toggle it back on, but we may be able to mitigate that somehow. I've added a feature request to think about it.

NightmareSr
I played a different game for a bit that has similar character control and complexity and they had a key that toggle a mouse on the screen and the mouse turning the toon, they also use "A" and "D" as strafe since the mouse turns the toon. Seemed a bit nicer and more dynamic. smile

Well, you can currently switch "A" and "D" to strafe with the keybinds, but having the keybinds switch around just while the mouse is turning the toon would take some code work. It's an interesting idea though. Probably not too difficult, but that's only a vaguely-educated guess. I've filed a feature request to look into it when we get a chance.
NightmareSr
Bob
That could be useful, though of course we'd really like to make those long lists less laggy in the first place. I've added a feature request to look into it when we have a chance.
The mouse scroll would be preferable, but arrows to more slowly step through the vault list would help when trying to find a certain mat within big laggy vaults.
But yes the lag of overloaded vaults is the actual pain point here. Maybe the Crafting section could be split between certain crafts to further refine the vault lists. Sort of like we have for the "Recipes, Raw, Refined, Salvage" options. I think having more sub-category options would be great and maybe even sub-sub-categories if possible or even a search function for our vaults.
Bob
I don't believe there's a way to toggle that at the moment. I'd worry that players could get themselves in trouble by toggling the cursor off and then forgetting how to toggle it back on, but we may be able to mitigate that somehow. I've added a feature request to think about it.
Well, you can currently switch "A" and "D" to strafe with the keybinds, but having the keybinds switch around just while the mouse is turning the toon would take some code work. It's an interesting idea though. Probably not too difficult, but that's only a vaguely-educated guess. I've filed a feature request to look into it when we get a chance.
If the latch was a simple single key and made the mouse disappear it shouldn't be too bad plus you could make the ESC key cancel out the latching. The other game where I have used this uses shift for run toggle and the ctrl key for the mouse/turn toggle. Which is part of the reason I switched m keybinds to ctrl for slow walk toggle and shift for run toggle. On top of this my laptop tends to stop recognizing my ctrl buttons when it gets hot or over used, meaning I couldn't get my mouse, but the esc key opens a menu dropdown and makes the mouse appear disengaging the character turn function. But in PFO when my ctrl key quits working I have not work around for the ctrl-click of moving a certain number of items from vaults/inventories. It would be nice to be able to change that keybind for ctrl-click or have some other way of starting that "move a number of items" function. The other day I grabbed an old keyboard, unplugged my mouse, plugged in the keyboard all just to be able to hit the ctrl key and move the correct amount of bulk instead of clicking 200+ times without a single instance of a double-click. Heck while I'm thinking of it could we just make a double-click bring up that "quantity window", instead of just moving everything automatically? I think that would help me a lot at least. smile
Bob
NightmareSr
Bob
The mouse scroll would be preferable, but arrows to more slowly step through the vault list would help when trying to find a certain mat within big laggy vaults.
But yes the lag of overloaded vaults is the actual pain point here. Maybe the Crafting section could be split between certain crafts to further refine the vault lists. Sort of like we have for the "Recipes, Raw, Refined, Salvage" options. I think having more sub-category options would be great and maybe even sub-sub-categories if possible or even a search function for our vaults.

Deeper sub-categories and other additional filtering will likely be part of the solution, along with some other more technical optimizations. We could also potentially default to a sub-category so you didn't have to put up with long load times just to get to the point where you can filter down to a not-quite-as-long load time.

NightmareSr
Bob
If the latch was a simple single key and made the mouse disappear it shouldn't be too bad plus you could make the ESC key cancel out the latching. The other game where I have used this uses shift for run toggle and the ctrl key for the mouse/turn toggle. Which is part of the reason I switched m keybinds to ctrl for slow walk toggle and shift for run toggle. On top of this my laptop tends to stop recognizing my ctrl buttons when it gets hot or over used, meaning I couldn't get my mouse, but the esc key opens a menu dropdown and makes the mouse appear disengaging the character turn function. But in PFO when my ctrl key quits working I have not work around for the ctrl-click of moving a certain number of items from vaults/inventories. It would be nice to be able to change that keybind for ctrl-click or have some other way of starting that "move a number of items" function. The other day I grabbed an old keyboard, unplugged my mouse, plugged in the keyboard all just to be able to hit the ctrl key and move the correct amount of bulk instead of clicking 200+ times without a single instance of a double-click. Heck while I'm thinking of it could we just make a double-click bring up that "quantity window", instead of just moving everything automatically? I think that would help me a lot at least. smile

I was thinking that esc would be one way to bring back the cursor, and we might think about some kind of on-screen messaging to that effect, perhaps after any brief period of inactivity.

I added a mention of the ctrl key to the feature request for alt, not sure if it has any of the same complications to deal with. Key combinations are often a little tricky.

I'll add a feature request to consider switching the double-click functionality. I actually use the double-click quite a bit, but might be about as happy if it brought up the quantity window defaulted to the entire stack. We could also consider making it a setting where players decide which version they want to use. However, I suspect if it's the kind of thing we'd want to make a setting, that probably also puts it at the level of polish that we'd push off doing until lots of other big things are done. If everyone was begging to simply switch double-click over to the quantity window, that might push it up a bit in priority, and would of course be easier to implement.

NightmareSr
Bob
I'll add a feature request to consider switching the double-click functionality. I actually use the double-click quite a bit, but might be about as happy if it brought up the quantity window defaulted to the entire stack. We could also consider making it a setting where players decide which version they want to use. However, I suspect if it's the kind of thing we'd want to make a setting, that probably also puts it at the level of polish that we'd push off doing until lots of other big things are done. If everyone was begging to simply switch double-click over to the quantity window, that might push it up a bit in priority, and would of course be easier to implement.
Alright everyone, see what Bob said?
So let's make this a thing….
I really want the double-click on an item to pop-up the quantity window with full amount as default and cursor in the window, not just move the entire amount. If only for the fact that if you can double-click then you can drag the stack, whereas if your ctrl key won't work you are blocked.
Let's hear it everyone.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post