Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Sunholm and Canis Castrum Abandoned

Bob
Sunholm and Canis Castrum have just been declared Abandoned, making them both subject to the rules for claiming abandoned settlements listed at the end of the Settlement Warfare page. Any group of cooperating companies that manages to surround either settlement with a full complement of active holdings and outposts (or perhaps has already done so) can contact me at customer.support@pathfinderonline.com to stake their claim. Each settlement has a fair variety of +0 structures available for just 1 gold coin each, though both settlements do still need a Keep +0 to place more structures or to get full settlement management capabilities. Have at it!
Azure_Zero
Given this game's population…….
It's just better to just make them NPC shield hexes to stop any settlement collectors out there.

And most of us know of who one of the Settlement Collectors is/are, with what 4-5 settlements and a number of them with only a single company with a single character (likely a free trial mode character as well), and running the settlement as cheaply as possible without it being inactive.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Given this game's population…….
It's just better to just make them NPC shield hexes to stop any settlement collectors out there.

I've been sorely tempted to do something along those lines, but then every once in a while I'll hear from someone who wants to try their hand at running a settlement and doesn't have the opportunity to do so because they're all taken. Hopefully the requirements for claiming an abandoned settlement involve enough work, and are easily enough blocked by other players, that it's not worth doing unless someone actually wants to run a real settlement.

Azure_Zero
And most of us know of who one of the Settlement Collectors is/are, with what 4-5 settlements and a number of them with only a single company with a single character (likely a free trial mode character as well), and running the settlement as cheaply as possible without it being inactive.

Free Trial Mode characters can't own settlements, and I do review the owners once in a while to make sure they're still active. You're correct that it is still possible to keep a settlement active with fairly limited effort, but at least there's some effort involved between the DI and upkeep requirements.
Edam
I 100% agree with Azure on this one.

We have more than enough barely functional half built settlements around as it is. Presumably they are mainly being put on hold, either someone who is rarely playing and hoping to keep it ticking over until they decide to come back full time, or more likely are part of a "collection" being hoarded by one of the larger groups to hand out to new players/guilds if the game takes off.

Either way it makes more sense to turn them into temporary NPC settlements and open them up to conquest with potential PvP once the game population hits a more viable size.
Azure_Zero
Edam
….

more likely are part of a "collection" being hoarded by one of the larger groups to hand out to new players/guilds if the game takes off.

Yeah and that hand off likely comes with strings attached, or perceived strings attached by other groups.

as this is another reason to set them as NPC settlements until the game takes off and HAS a population that needs new settlements.

I myself would like the see a new standard for being able to hold a settlement, like;
Settlements at Level 10 and lower require 6 active characters, settlements with a minimum of one active character must have the settlement operating at minimum support level of 14, with a +2 Keep, and the sum the other building +X total sans infrastructure be +15 (i.e 13 (+1), 1 (+2), 4 (+0) = +15), Settlements in the support range of 11-13 require 4 active characters, a +1 Keep, and total building +X totals (sans infrastructure) being +9
This forces a settlement collector a choice of either paying extra cash to keep the settlements with cheap support or the need for more holdings and and bulk resources to keep one active character.

A settlement is suppose to be a team effort, so this extra character cost for a low support settlement is for the independent groups that may pop in the game in the future.
Now the higher level cost for solo active run settlements makes it so a settlement collector has more work to keep their settlements in their collection, thus freeing some up for new groups if they come in.

Now if your wondering why the setup I gave above makes the middle ground more costly, it's to nudge a settlement collector to an extreme for their settlements in their collection.
Azure_Zero
Edam
I 100% agree with Azure on this one.

We have more than enough barely functional half built settlements around as it is. Presumably they are mainly being put on hold, either someone who is rarely playing and hoping to keep it ticking over until they decide to come back full time, or more likely are part of a "collection" being hoarded by one of the larger groups to hand out to new players/guilds if the game takes off.

Either way it makes more sense to turn them into temporary NPC settlements and open them up to conquest with potential PvP once the game population hits a more viable size.

Yeah, there are a number of dead settlements, and some are still dead but back into active state by tossing some coin into the settlement vault.
There are many half made settlements on the map, some from folks who got a settlement, worked on it some, found it unfun, and then left.
Some settlements died when the group behind them left, i.e. the AL, EoX.

Heck there are a very few settlements being run by players who were in and active from the launch of EE 1.0 and still running their settlement.

Lets make every abandoned settlement from this point on a NPC shield hex, until the game's active player population picks up to a point where new settlements are needed, and not before then so settlement collectors can't get them and they are reserved for when a new group does show up with interest. It would require the newcomers to either conquer the core 6, or make a deal with the group(s) that control the core 6 of their desired settlement's location.
Bob
We do intend to steadily increase the difficulty of holding on to a settlement. The recent updates to Settlement Warfare were just a first step in that direction and we've got others in mind. However, we're also trying not to drive too many players away if they're mostly here for those settlements, at least not if they're somewhat active. I'm personally very interested to see what happens to these two settlements, and what that tells us about how quickly we should be ramping up that difficulty.
Azure_Zero
Those two settlements are surrounded by 2 or more different groups, so they are deadlocked an likely not going under ownership of anyone any time soon.

Again, given this game's population, all abandoned settlements should change to NPC shield hexes and be unclaimable until the game's population gets much bigger then what it is, or it's just giving opportunities to settlement collectors.

Right now the way active settlement is defined is too cheap for a settlement collector, if you do what I propose as above
(post #5) it'll make it harder for settlement collectors (one way or another) and not punish those truly trying to build up and run their settlement in proper play.
As a settlement is suppose to require a lot of players to get and keep running, but can lose some players as it's built up.

Now I do run Two settlements, and I work my butt off to make sure they are running as good as they can and I'm also still slowly building them up with better buildings and upgrading holdings where I can.

Settlement collectors run their settlements cheap and with little effort, I'd like to see them need to make a choice; pay more cash (thus helping fund game development) or put in more time, effort, and work in game to keep their settlements.
While NOT punishing TRUELY ACTIVE settlements with higher costs (especially those that have stuck it out since the old days of EE 4.0 or earlier).
Maxen
Frankly, what does it matter? When there is a population that can fully support multiple settlements, these “settlement collectors” will have an impossible time keeping them all. New players will have the opportunity to learn an important facet of the game, which is to feud and take hexes in order to take control of a settlement. There is nothing gained or lost by turning them into NPC settlements, so why go to the effort? We already have plenty of NPC settlements (also very empty) around the map. Live and let live I say.
Azure_Zero
No, the settlement collectors will hand them off to groups, likely with strings attached, so the new settlement is not truly independent from the settlement collector or from their nation.

And I know of a few goes of that, but the new comers didn't stick around.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post