Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Spreading Escalations

NightmareSr
Noticed there was no thread for this and just a little statement on the Roadmap for it and it is the next item on that list. So is there any details to discuss?
I hope it starts out slow and that we get a notice before holdings get overrun.

Also, are the dates on the Roadmap changeable? might be nice to have a link to release notes for the ones that are done, if that page gets updated.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Azure_Zero
I am hoping spreading gets rolled out in phases, to find out how much is just right.
As I wouldn't want the game to repeat the mistakes of many others.

I'd like the phases to be;
Phase 1: All raid escalations (T1-)
Phase 2: All T1 escalations(T1)
Phase 3: Lower T2
Phase 4: Higher T2
Phase 5: Low T3

There will not be a phase 6 as I know that would be horrible is Higher T3 escalations spread, and even Phase 5 will likely be pushing it.
The Time between phases should be about 3 weeks given game population and the number of "real" active settlements to see the impact that each phase brings.
I do see Phases 1 and 2 being no problem, phase 3 will likely start to show the limit, and Phase 4 will show if the player base is at the limit or could handle a little bit more or a need to dial it down a notch.
Bob
NightmareSr
Noticed there was no thread for this and just a little statement on the Roadmap for it and it is the next item on that list. So is there any details to discuss?

We've had some internal discussions and I've started writing up an initial draft. Once that's ready, I'll post it for discussion.

NightmareSr
I hope it starts out slow and that we get a notice before holdings get overrun.

We do plan on rolling this out slowly. On the issue of getting notice, there'll be plenty of warning before this feature goes live. In terms of specific holdings being at risk, we can look at displaying some information on the map about holdings that are at risk (I think we may already show that an invasion is scheduled, and could probably show when an owned hex was infected, along with other related info), or is there something more you're looking for in terms of getting notice?

NightmareSr
Also, are the dates on the Roadmap changeable? might be nice to have a link to release notes for the ones that are done, if that page gets updated.

We're reviewing the Roadmap now and I'll edit the page as soon as we've decided on new dates and such. I usually just remove everything that's been completed, since the Roadmap is intended as a forward-looking statement where players can quickly see what we're working on next. That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to have something at the bottom pointing to a new Release Notes page, which in turn could point at all the blog posts where the official Release Notes live. As long as I'm already editing the Roadmap anyway, that would be pretty easy to add. It would also be fairly easy to keep updated, and it would be nice to give the Release Notes a more permanent home.
Bob
Azure_Zero
I am hoping spreading gets rolled out in phases, to find out how much is just right.
As I wouldn't want the game to repeat the mistakes of many others.

I'd like the phases to be;
Phase 1: All raid escalations (T1-)
Phase 2: All T1 escalations(T1)
Phase 3: Lower T2
Phase 4: Higher T2
Phase 5: Low T3

We're planning to have a mix of spreading and non-spreading escalations, so it's likely that many of the escalations will just be left as-is. I don't know that we'll follow a strictly-phased pattern of adding spreading escalations, but we do basically plan on only adding a few at a time, and starting at the lower end in terms of difficulty. However, we're thinking we want to include a bit of a difficulty mix. Even in their spreading form, things like Raids just won't offer much challenge to higher-end characters, and we'll be missing out on a lot of good feedback until the challenge is at least noticeable for them.
NightmareSr
Bob
…On the issue of getting notice, there'll be plenty of warning before this feature goes live. In terms of specific holdings being at risk, we can look at displaying some information on the map about holdings that are at risk (I think we may already show that an invasion is scheduled, and could probably show when an owned hex was infected, along with other related info), or is there something more you're looking for in terms of getting notice?
Having a warning 2 days before, to be similar to a "holding capture' feud would be ideal, but any info/warning would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
… It would also be fairly easy to keep updated, and it would be nice to give the Release Notes a more permanent home.
Having a more permanent home was why I thought of the link idea. The Roadmap is nice and easily access so my thought was the same model for release notes might be a nice touch.
Thanks.
You are a Troll
There should not be any kind of *notification* when an escalation spreads. Get in the game and see for yourself, that is your notice. Monsters don't *notify* you that they are going to raid your holdings. Again, get on and monitor stuff during your PvP window - that is your notice. Besides, its not like raid actually take enough bulk to bother really being concerned about anyway. smile
Azure_Zero
I have to agree with "You are a Troll,"
the notice should be when it's happening and you are actually checking your stuff.

I watch my PVP windows for Monster Raids, why should a infection causing a raid be any different.
Don't watch it, you risk losing it, that is fair.
Rhethwyn
Has the dev team considered a percentage chance of spreading based on the difficulty of the escalation? Maybe T1 escalations have a 50% chance of spreading (because these are the indigenous populations we're dealing with - bandits, goblins, yadda yadda,) while a T3 escalation was more like 10% or 15% chance (since, for example, Legends have to travel so far in their hunt for those dadgum green crystals)?

Naturally, once an escalation starts spreading, it will continue to do so until it's taken down, but this could be an ideal way to fine-tune things dynamically based on feedback?
NightmareSr
You are a Troll
… Besides, its not like raid actually take enough bulk to bother really being concerned about anyway. smile
The spreading escalations won't just take bulk. They will damage and/or destroy holdings/outposts. That is why I thought a Notice would be fitting. A feud to just raid bulk doesn't need a lead time or warning, but to take over holdings/outpost it does require 2 day warning. So I hoped that the monster infections should follow the same pattern.
Bob
NightmareSr
The spreading escalations won't just take bulk. They will damage and/or destroy holdings/outposts. That is why I thought a Notice would be fitting. A feud to just raid bulk doesn't need a lead time or warning, but to take over holdings/outpost it does require 2 day warning. So I hoped that the monster infections should follow the same pattern.
Part of the answer here will be that spreading escalations won't do any permanent damage right away. Still working out all the details, but the rough idea is that hexes with holdings would run monster invasions like they do now, but in addition to losing that day's production if the invaders win, the hex would become infected. If you clear them out quickly enough, then no damage would occur to your buildings and life would return to normal. If you don't, then some kind of damage would be done over time that might eventually result in losing the hex. One possible idea I've been considering is having infected hexes be guaranteed to run a monster invasion each day, and if they win they knock the buildings down by 1 max upgrade, much like what happens when a holding is taken over through PvP. If the invaders knock the buildings below 0, then they're destroyed and the hex is lost. We could throw some delays in, like saying escalations won't try to spread until they're a full day old, or infected hexes don't run destructive invasions until they're at least a day old, but even without that you'd be able to see that your hex was subject to an incoming invasion that first day and that it was infected the second day, giving you time to mount a defense. Plus, you'd only have to worry about this on your three PvP days. Throw on that buildings better than +2 couldn't possibly fall in a single week (infected first PvP day, knocked to +1 second PvP day, knocked to +0 third day, 4 days to clear them before the next PvP day) and you wouldn't have to fret too much about not noticing an issue right away, though obviously you'd be better off the sooner you noticed. And again, none of this is final, and there's lots we can do to slow things down if necessary.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post