Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Spreading Escalations

Bob
Rhethwyn
Has the dev team considered a percentage chance of spreading based on the difficulty of the escalation?
In the before times, back when escalations spread freely across the land, there was in fact an infection chance percentage. We mostly used it for flavor, so some escalations might spread rapidly but not very far, or others grew quickly but spread slowly, but it could also be used to make tougher escalations spread more slowly. I do plan on incorporating that back into the spreading design, as a replacement for the current default 15% chance that a hex will run an invasion if it has an infected neighbor.
Bob
You are a Troll
There should not be any kind of *notification* when an escalation spreads. Get in the game and see for yourself, that is your notice.

This is a concept we wrestle with on a regular basis. There are certainly advantages to saying that it's up to players to keep an eye on things, plus that means we don't have to invest a bunch of much time in creating notification systems. On the flip side, notification systems can help guide players towards larger interactions, and can pull more casual players back whenever they hear about interesting things happening, but we don't always have the bandwidth to put them all in. Ultimately, we have to look at each specific issue and figure out what's best for the game. In this particular case, we'll probably fall somewhere around "we'll let you see info early enough in advance on the world map to alert your allies and put up a defense (rather than requiring that you actually visit each holding for info), and you really should have someone check the map on each PvP day to prevent significant losses, but we generally won't cause you too much damage if you miss a day or two."
You are a Troll
oh good! Thank you so much for yet more safeguards against PvP!
Bob
You are a Troll
Thank you so much for yet more safeguards against PvP!

Our general goal isn't to safeguard against PvP, but instead to increase the likelihood that more players will show up for each PvP battle. Many such measures do safeguard against PvP damage (or in the case of the spreading escalations, PvE damage) getting out of hand before players have a chance to mount a defense, which admittedly could be thought of as safeguarding against undefended PvP/PvE, but it all still requires the defenders to keep an eye on things and to show up if they actually want to prevent that damage.
Edam
It seems to me a system that notifies people they are being attacked is in fact promoting PvP because it increases the likelihood they will defend and hence fight.

On the other hand system that allows raiding or attacking to go un-noticed , whilst definitely conducive to banditry, is actually anti-pvp, it allows the raiding to go on whilst mostly avoiding any PvP defenders.
Azure_Zero
If a settlement can't bother to check their Maps and PVP window(s) during PVP time,
they deserve the results of not watching their hexes.

If a owner of a castle posts no guards to watch it and a theif comes one night,
the owner of the castle has no right to complain of any thefts since he did nothing to prevent or stop it.
Rhethwyn
Verifying I understand this correctly:

Azure_Zero
If a settlement can't bother to check their Maps and PVP window(s) during PVP time,

= "If you don't watch out for me screwing you over, you deserve to have my will imposed upon you, for my greater glory."

Azure_Zero
the owner of the castle has no right to complain of any thefts since he did nothing to prevent or stop it.

= "If I don't install an anti-theft device in my car, I have no right to complain when someone steals it."

Is that what you're trying to convey here?
You are a Troll
Territory control game and all…..players create/are the content, so, yeah….
Azure_Zero
Rhethwyn
Verifying I understand this correctly:

Azure_Zero

= "If you don't watch out for me screwing you over, you deserve to have my will imposed upon you, for my greater glory."

……

Not specifically me, but anyone who wants what you have and you aren't paying attention to keep it

Rhethwyn
….
Azure_Zero

= "If I don't install an anti-theft device in my car, I have no right to complain when someone steals it."

Is that what you're trying to convey here?

Yep, if you aren't working to keep it, prepare to lose it and without right to complain at its loss.
You are a Troll
"You have what you hold"

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post