Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Energy Resistance on all non-heavy armors

Bob
harneloot
Please understand Bob that at this point, yes, that one specific drop is pretty much the only thing (most) of the players still playing the game are after (…smile

Oh, I do get that, and it's understandable that's what people tend to focus on. We've made a few changes to take that into account (like concentrating the raw materials more than they were originally intended to be), but there's a limit to how much we can do that without a lot more redesign.

harneloot
How about you just drop the enchantment bonus to lighter armors and call it a day (…smile

That would require another build, and we don't have enough other stuff ready yet to make that worth the overhead unless the current numbers truly broke the build. Better to let the current numbers play out and revisit this when we're looking at another build, at which point returning the base energy defense and removing the enchantment bonus may be the best short-term option. But if the current numbers feel like a good compromise at that time, we'll leave them alone.
Edam
Bob
But if the current numbers feel like a good compromise at that time, we'll leave them alone.

The current 25% is not a game breaker I think most people can work with that.

One possibility to consider is eventually creating "minor" versions of the resistance enchantments that only give about 30% of the resistance that standard enchantments give but use less of the enchanted mats and/or only use a single enchanted mat.

That would give newer players (and people that die a lot) a "budget" resistance option that is relatively simple to make but gives a much smaller improvement. I could actually see these minor resistance enchantments becoming the "everyday" option for many people with the better enchanted items reserved for special occasions.
Bob
Edam
One possibility to consider is eventually creating "minor" versions of the resistance enchantments that only give about 30% of the resistance that standard enchantments give but use less of the enchanted mats and/or only use a single enchanted mat.

The tricky part would be that the current enchantments already only apply 1 resistance when applied to +0 heavy armor, so there's no room to go down there. I'd probably have to either raise the smallest amount the standard enchantments provide (which probably wouldn't be a bad idea given how expensive these enchantments are) or restrict the "minor" versions to lighter armors. Certainly worth exploring.
Tuoweit
Will monsters also see an overall decrease in energy resistances? A lot, if not all, of the light- and cloth-wearing monsters seem to have similar blanket energy resistances across the board.
Drizzle
Tuoweit
Will monsters also see an overall decrease in energy resistances? A lot, if not all, of the light- and cloth-wearing monsters seem to have similar blanket energy resistances across the board.

Whilst generically it is true a lot of mobs seem to have resistances that roughly correlate with light/medium/heavy armor I am also seeing the opposite in newer mobs, with more specific resistances and resistance holes. A lot of high level (especially boss) mobs seem to be gaining specific resistances they never had before. Holy for example used to be the panacaea attack that nothing resisted. These days an Implosion (force) will often do similar or better damage than Greater Holy Light (holy) even though it has about half the damage factor.
Bob
Tuoweit
I did a quick scan of the mob energy resistances and they're balanced quite differently from the player armors. They generally don't have across-the-board energy resistance, so there's usually one or more energy types that can get through relatively well. Some of the ones in cloth or light armor do have one or two energy resistances that start out about as high as the player armors do, but that one resistance is generally a pretty big exception and matches the theme of that mob. There are some that do have more balanced numbers across all the energy resistances, or sometimes just across all the T1 energies (fire, cold, electric), but their numbers are generally lower than the base resistances players get. I suspect they were set up originally to match the long-term plans for resistances, with their numbers intended to account for the kind of enchantments they'd likely be wearing at each comparable level.
Tuoweit
Bob
Tuoweit
I did a quick scan of the mob energy resistances and they're balanced quite differently from the player armors. They generally don't have across-the-board energy resistance, so there's usually one or more energy types that can get through relatively well. Some of the ones in cloth or light armor do have one or two energy resistances that start out about as high as the player armors do, but that one resistance is generally a pretty big exception and matches the theme of that mob. There are some that do have more balanced numbers across all the energy resistances, or sometimes just across all the T1 energies (fire, cold, electric), but their numbers are generally lower than the base resistances players get. I suspect they were set up originally to match the long-term plans for resistances, with their numbers intended to account for the kind of enchantments they'd likely be wearing at each comparable level.

Great to know, thanks. I guess I just haven't seen much besides the "T1 energies" yet then smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post