Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The Return of Max Influence

Bob
Flari-Merchant
I am hazy on all the intricacies of the rules at this point. Can FTP characters generate and gain Influence still? Can free trial characters still be generated and gain influence then hang out as "Company Members" indefinately still?

As Azure_Zero mentioned, Free Trial Mode characters don't earn influence. And once activated, they can't be deleted until their month is up, so there's no incentive to just recycle your alt daily for increased influence generation. They also have quite a few other limitations (XP isn't earned over time, feats are only supported to Trainer Level 6, influence isn't earned for your company, can't participate in capture games for territory). They'd only be a problem if we just turned the old Max Influence system back on, since that doesn't treat them any differently.
Flari-Merchant
OK, so some of my concerns are non issues since there are no ways to generate characters to generate Influence really easily? Except maybe recycling extra toons(besides your main) on your acct and that seems too tedious and wasteful to be practical.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
OK, so some of my concerns are non issues since there are no ways to generate characters to generate Influence really easily? Except maybe recycling extra toons(besides your main) on your acct and that seems too tedious and wasteful to be practical.
Exactly. Our new Per Character Subscriptions model had a lot of nice side-effects, those among them.
Flari-Merchant
Much better understanding now. Thank You.

Still seems like right now it might punish The Little Guy a bit compared to an active group of even just 6 players.
NightmareSr
I haven't read the whole thread to catch up yet, but what I have read seems like a punishment for the little guy (me being one of those) but a none issue for the big groups.
Maybe I need to decorate my settlement more to entice new memebers?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare –
Starchild
OK, time for me to weigh in on this too while I am briefly out of hospital smile

Maxen, Kenton and Rynnik have all made some good points explaining why Bob's plan is not just good but essential, anything else is just making life easy for the "AFK old guard" at the expense of new/active players. It needs to go in but at a level that makes it possible for reasonably active settlements to maintain a decent level.

Some suggestions that might make life a bit easier:-
1. Some process to allow holdings and outposts to be transferred from less active to more active companies without needing to tear tyhem down and put them back up again.
2. A way of transferring influence between companies.
Maybe implement this by allowing a company to disband and pass their influence and holdings to a successor company? This would allow us to line up active characters with the holdings and outposts that they need to support without a vast exercise to tear stuff down (with the risk each time of someone "stealing" the spot)
3. Allow crafting and gathering to generate a reasonable amount of influence so that crafting-focussed companies/settlements can compete.

Well that's my 2c - back to hospital again Thursday :/

Starchild
Doom! Nightstalkers, evil crafters and bandits, Oh my!
Rynnik
Starchild made some great points through out, but I'd especially like to highlight this:
Starchild
3. Allow crafting and gathering to generate a reasonable amount of influence so that crafting-focussed companies/settlements can compete.
As an example company, if Maker's General Store out of Carpe Nocte can't keep up with any influence decay by doing just crafting activities and running the store then I'd suggest the numbers need tweaking to allow it. I have no idea if that would be in amount of overall influence drained or as a balance between current influence earned by crafting versus adventuring activities, but either way please keep that in mind.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Edam
Rynnik
Starchild made some great points through out, but I'd especially like to highlight this:
Starchild
As an example company, if Maker's General Store out of Carpe Nocte can't keep up with any influence decay by doing just crafting activities and running the store then I'd suggest the numbers need tweaking to allow it. I have no idea if that would be in amount of overall influence drained or as a balance between current influence earned by crafting versus adventuring activities, but either way please keep that in mind.

+1 - completely agree there should be more influence from things like gathering even if it is offset by slightly less influence for combat activities.

Other things that could be considered to diversify what counts as active:
- small amount of influence for successful gusher completion
- influence from training crafting or refining feats - this would need to be tiny of course

One other comment. Consider making the influence degradation partially dependant on distance from your home settlement. Make the degradation in some remote hex on the opposite side of the map much more expensive than a hex in your core 6.
Rynnik
Edam
Rynnik
Starchild

+1 - completely agree there should be more influence from things like gathering even if it is offset by slightly less influence for combat activities.

Other things that could be considered to diversify what counts as active:
- small amount of influence for successful gusher completion
- influence from training crafting or refining feats - this would need to be tiny of course

One other comment. Consider making the influence degradation partially dependant on distance from your home settlement. Make the degradation in some remote hex on the opposite side of the map much more expensive than a hex in your core 6.
Is there influence associated with posting and buying from the Auction House? That is a whole category of daily player activity worthy of being registered, imo. The merchant role is real!

(And I like the idea of holding influence cost being prorated by distance from the settlement - adds a nice element of localization which is so important to make these 'mmo worlds' work. Poor Bob! LOL one way or another we always get back to trying to force tons of coding.)
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Flari-Merchant
Rynnik
Starchild
+1 The Path of a Gather/Crafter/Merchant should be just as access friendly to End Game (Holding and Settlement Management) play as a straight adventurer type.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post