Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The Return of Max Influence

Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
If you what holdings to go pop and WITH OUT the activity tax, we just make a timer that counts how long it has been since the HOLDING's HOLDING vault was accessed (it'll be checking bulk numbers and looking for a difference in values),
if that hexes holding vault has not been accessed in over say 3 months it sets all holdings and outposts to +0/+0 and degrades them like in a capture in a feud and only tehy have a week to access the vault and crank back up the holding and outposts, if they fail to do so, the next holding that goes in that spot takes ALL the stuff that was in the holding's vaults before it.
It probably wouldn't be very difficult to add a "last time the Holding Secure vault was checked" value to holdings, and then the easiest thing to do would be to shut down the holding any day that value was more than X days in the past. The holding would then follow the standard process of getting destroyed if it was shut down for 7-8 days in a row.

While this would pretty effectively clear out completely unused holdings, I'm not sure it sets a high enough bar per additional holding to make the expansion decision much more interesting. I do like that it's a task that should already be happening for any truly useful holding, so it only "adds" a task for those cases where someone expands beyond what they're putting to use.

Bob, There is a Holding in Rotter's Hole 2 that Shuts down every other day, this means it is NOT being attended to at all, if there was a access timer like proposed the holding would of popped already.
Bob
Rynnik
Is there influence associated with posting and buying from the Auction House? That is a whole category of daily player activity worthy of being registered, imo. The merchant role is real!
There is not. With a new achievement and a bit of code to support it, there could be, though we'd need to make sure that sales too cheap to trigger at least the minimum sales fee don't count. Need to make sure there's some kind of guaranteed cost to prevent self-purchases purely for influence gain.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Rynnik
Is there influence associated with posting and buying from the Auction House? That is a whole category of daily player activity worthy of being registered, imo. The merchant role is real!
There is not. With a new achievement and a bit of code to support it, there could be, though we'd need to make sure that sales too cheap to trigger at least the minimum sales fee don't count. Need to make sure there's some kind of guaranteed cost to prevent self-purchases purely for influence gain.

Could you add influence gainers to the very un-fun Chores that settlement leaders have to spend a lot of time on, like moving bulk around, and watching the PVP window?
Rynnik
Bob
With a new achievement and a bit of code to support it, there could be, though we'd need to make sure that sales too cheap to trigger at least the minimum sales fee don't count. Need to make sure there's some kind of guaranteed cost to prevent self-purchases purely for influence gain.

Very prudent caveats, yah that sort of gaming would definitely have to be accounted for but if it could happen someday that would be awesome!
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Bob
Edam
Other things that could be considered to diversify what counts as active:
- small amount of influence for successful gusher completion
- influence from training crafting or refining feats - this would need to be tiny of course
I think both of those could be done with new achievements and some code to support them. Not sure exactly how much work would be involved, but at least each one is basically its own isolated task.

Edam
One other comment. Consider making the influence degradation partially dependant on distance from your home settlement. Make the degradation in some remote hex on the opposite side of the map much more expensive than a hex in your core 6.
I like that this option for incorporating hex distance is more scalable than using it as part of a minimum hex requirement, since we can raise or lower the additional cost in tiny increments. In either case, how feasible it is depends on whether that chunk of code has easy access to the functions/data that would be used to calculate the distance. It's definitely additional work, but we can look into it if it starts to feel like a pretty essential part of any initial implementation.
NightmareSr
Influence gains are based on achievements I believe. That is fine in theory but the fact that a new player gains numerous achievements quickly is not at all balanced for running a settlement, since older characters need to be a lot more active to gain the same influence.
I honestly think the whole influence system needs to be reworked cause it is just not at all balanced and is a very inaccurate measurement of character activity.
I have a couple characters who have Expert 10 in their main weapon as well as Bandit slayer 10 (and wolf 10). They also have Midden Digger 10. So if I run gushers in normal hexes full of Bandits for something like wool or other stuff from scavenger nodes because settlement buildings need a ton of T1 mats, then I gain a tiny amount of influence compared to a new character grabbing a club and bashing 25 goblins near thornkeep.
It just isn't working at all, IMO.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare –
Bob
Azure_Zero
Could you add influence gainers to the very un-fun Chores that settlement leaders have to spend a lot of time on, like moving bulk around, and watching the PVP window?
Maybe? I think the restrictions that would need to be put around them would be more complicated to implement, but I could imagine things like an achievement that got incremented each time a mule carried a full load more than a certain distance. Unless a brilliant flash of insight strikes, I suspect the options for doing that kind of influence generation would involve enough work that we'd be better off spending the time trying to make those activities less chore-like (while still respecting the whole "local economy" thing).
Flari-Merchant
NightmareSr
Influence gains are based on achievements I believe. That is fine in theory but the fact that a new player gains numerous achievements quickly is not at all balanced for running a settlement, since older characters need to be a lot more active to gain the same influence.
I honestly think the whole influence system needs to be reworked cause it is just not at all balanced and is a very inaccurate measurement of character activity.
I have a couple characters who have Expert 10 in their main weapon as well as Bandit slayer 10 (and wolf 10). They also have Midden Digger 10. So if I run gushers in normal hexes full of Bandits for something like wool or other stuff from scavenger nodes because settlement buildings need a ton of T1 mats, then I gain a tiny amount of influence compared to a new character grabbing a club and bashing 25 goblins near thornkeep.
Yeah. You do run out of gain until you branch out. Then you can get a little more progress. Like working a different weapon up the Expert rankings. Trying for a mob type that I haven't maxed yet. Etc… Used to do it all the time.
Bob
NightmareSr
Influence is entirely based on achievements, but not just on getting them. Location achievements and the like only give influence once, so those certainly favor new characters over advanced characters who've already earned them.

Most other achievements contribute influence each time you do the action that triggers the achievement, regardless of wither that particular action grants you the next achievement rank. That number is then reduced based on your current rank, so advanced characters do indeed earn less than new characters, on the order of earning 1/3 as much influence if you're already rank 10 as you would if still at rank 1.

That bias toward new characters was intentional, and was meant to help convince companies to take in new players to get their sweet, sweet influence. We also generally figured that more advanced players would trigger influence generation more often. For example, while a new character gets a lot more influence for each goblin kill with a club, my advanced fighter can kill 10-15 goblins in one blow, ultimately generating more influence per second than a new character. Of course, my high-level fighter is probably better off spending that time tackling tougher mobs, but the option always exists to solo an easier escalation (or party up against a mid-level escalation) once in a while whenever you're more concerned with influence than loot.

All that said, we fully recognize that the current implementation of influence is pretty simple, and doesn't take into account things like the difficulty level of the mob killed, or the amount of time a crafting project required, or any of that kind of thing. This is definitely one of those "here's a simple implementation and we'll improve it as we go" features.
Bob
Rynnik
Starchild
3. Allow crafting and gathering to generate a reasonable amount of influence so that crafting-focussed companies/settlements can compete.
As an example company, if Maker's General Store out of Carpe Nocte can't keep up with any influence decay by doing just crafting activities and running the store then I'd suggest the numbers need tweaking to allow it. I have no idea if that would be in amount of overall influence drained or as a balance between current influence earned by crafting versus adventuring activities, but either way please keep that in mind.

Agreed, we'd want fairly active crafters to be able to hold a fair amount of territory. The current system does allow crafters to generate quite a bit of influence if they focus on quick crafting projects, but may be biased a bit more toward killing. Then again, an advanced crafter has quite a few options for 1-2 second crafting projects, where even advanced adventurers probably have trouble killing mobs at a consistent 4-second-per-kill rate to balance that out. Also, crafters earn influence for projects completed while off-line or doing other activities, which can be a huge advantage compared to adventurers who have to be actively playing to earn influence.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post