Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Fun With Content

Bob
As discussed on another thread, we're looking to focus some of our attention on improvements that making the gameplay more fun, but need to do so in ways that involve virtually no code (maybe just a tiny bit, once in a great while) until we finish up the cloud and Unity upgrades. Things like the Home Sweet Home Event are completely based on content additions and GM-adjudication, so that's one area to consider. It's also surprising what kinds of changes can be made by just tweaking some numbers.

I know it's not always obvious what requires code and what doesn't, often even I have to a little research before I can be sure a content-based change is possible. And sometimes a fix that at first glance requires code can lead to a smaller fix that only requires content. Throw out your suggestions and let's see if we can find a way to make some of them happen. I'll throw some of my own in here along the way.
Flari-Merchant
The easy answers to this are more NPC doled out Quests that are available either at only NPC settlements or allowed at both player(by player permission) and NPC settlements.

Make some of them varied such as message delivery (contact this NPC in this place).

Keep and add some Kill #X number of these mobs, add "bear this message/package" but also make many of them repeatable after server reset.

Make them related to the NPCs that are located at related structures, i.e. Temple NPC wants X skeletons killed, reward is a Divine scroll. Blacksmith wants message or package delivered to X blacksmith a ways away, reward is some appropriate refined materials.

Get creative.

Make a lot of them. This will add function and a little "life" to various NPCs.

I know that "Dailies" are usually looked at with scorn but that is usually because they are required to maximize accumulation of faction points or credits. This could be just about reward and busy work for now. Not required but something to do for tangible gain.
Flari-Merchant
Bob,
How difficult would it be to turn "Bag of Holding" into an actual object/container that holds things so it could be traded and or banked with items within? Rather than just an encumbrance bonus.
Azure_Zero
I can come up with some ideas (in fact I have a few that were posted up) and most would be re-using code and stuff that is in the game or Has been in the game at one point in time and only need minor tweaks here and there to be put in.
Azure_Zero
We could use some New events types that I posted up earlier
And they could ALL easily use code or code fragments that already exist in game.
Now I will say one could also be used in siege warfare to make the final stage more interactive and a race for both sides.

Now one thing that could make the game more Fun is to go backwards some or take some steps back, but modify them.
Now what I'll be talking about will be removing a Number of the chores that come in this game, the only few that'll be left are;
watching you PVP window, tracking DI, and keeping your monster hexes clean and or properly surpressed.

We go back to the Old War of Towers System, but modified somewhat.
* No Influence, or Bulk resources.
* All Feuds are FREE, and only require ONE day's notice (mainly due to needing the daily server down)
* PVP window system stays as is, no dealing with the PVP window every darn day.
* Siege engines DO NOT require a supply line, if the company is NOT in a settlement.
* base settlement support level will be level 12, and every 2 hexes is 1 support level, so with a complete core 6 you'll have level 15 support, then you'll only need 10 more hexes for level 20.
* All settlement buildings and upkeep will not need bulk resources and their training level is still based on their +X/+X values.
* All hexes still have holdings and outposts, but they Can not be torn down, and can only be changed by a leader/officer that has either;
level 12 engineer and or 6 seneshal through a building interface (all are available sans the T3 siege stuff)
if that leader/officer is both a level 12 engineer and level 6 seneshal, they can change a holdings and outposts to the T3 siege stuff.
* All holdings and outposts in a hex will run at the same +X/+X values
* A hexes holdings and outposts +X/+X values will be determined by a number of factors and they are cumulative with a starting base of +2/+2,
–> Hexes in the core 6 are +1 higher
–> Hexes adjacent to a Monster or Home is +1 higher
–> Hexes adjacent to a Shield hex (sans pass hexes) or NPC town are +1 Higher (happens only once).
–> Hexes Running High Security take a -1 hit and are lowered
–> Hexes Running Medium Security gain nothing.
–> Hexes Running Low Security are +1 higher.
–> Hexes that have their best resource at 400 or lower also get a +1 bonus.

An optional added point could be;
* All hexes are UN-protected except for the Core 6 of a settlement and to take a core 6 hex requires the use of a siege engine in a adjacent hex.
Bob
Azure_Zero
I can come up with some ideas (in fact I have a few that were posted up) and most would be re-using code and stuff that is in the game or Has been in the game at one point in time and only need minor tweaks here and there to be put in.

This is a good thread for both bringing up new ideas and revisiting previous ones in an organized way. Probably best to focus on one idea per post to keep the discussion readable, though I'll just try to break my responses up into separate posts whenever the muse compels anyone to write up multiple ideas at once.

Probably also best to keep the initial idea posts fairly short, since it's likely that many will turn out to be harder to implement than they seem and thus beyond the scope of anything we can tackle until the cloud and Unity upgrades are complete. Even relatively minor code changes take a while to figure out and get working, in part because we're building on top of a very large code base originally created by a much larger team. Lots of twists and turns in the code that need to be sorted through to make sure each change is safe. Always worth asking about, just better not to write a full design doc only to find out the core idea isn't technically feasible.
Azure_Zero
Yeah I broke off one idea already.
and linked to a thread I started with two new event types, one got written up the other I didn't put up yet.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Bob,
How difficult would it be to turn "Bag of Holding" into an actual object/container that holds things so it could be traded and or banked with items within? Rather than just an encumbrance bonus.
We actually worked up some rough time estimates for that back when we first got the Bag of Holding working. It's not a ludicrous amount of work, but it's all code work and probably more than we could do any time soon.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Yeah I broke off one idea already.
and linked to a thread I started with two new event types, one got written up the other I didn't put up yet.
Ah, the joys of writing up posts while new ones are coming in. smile
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Bob,
We actually worked up some rough time estimates for that back when we first got the Bag of Holding working. It's not a ludicrous amount of work, but it's all code work and probably more than we could do any time soon.
I know it is a lil off topic but it is related to "game enjoyment.

Was thinking that if "containers" could be inside bank vaults with items in them(little more that lists of items in a sub window) that it might help with the horrible task it can be to open a packed vault and get to particular items. A cpl birds with one stone thing. Easier organization of possessions, trading, cut down on the ram drain on the system, etc…

Containers in MMORPGs isn't something that is cutting edge technology. Hehe

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post