Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Fun With Content

The Eternal Balance
The explanation is appreciated Edam.

Flari-Merchant & OrinSanders suggestions are both excellent ones.

I am wondering if any player divided the number of hours they logged into the game by the number of times they have experienced PvP in PFO in the last 3 years what the quotient would be? Something Undefined or equal to the dividend for many? Something half or a third the value for most others?

I also wonder what the mysterious Effort Bonus column in the Official Spreadsheets next to the different Outpost types refers to?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Flari-Merchant
The Eternal Balance
The explanation is appreciated Edam.

Flari-Merchant & OrinSanders suggestions are both excellent ones.

I am wondering if any player divided the number of hours they logged into the game by the number of times they have experienced PvP in PFO in the last 3 years what the quotient would be? Something Undefined or equal to the dividend for many? Something half or a third the value for most others?

I also wonder what the mysterious Effort Bonus column in the Official Spreadsheets next to the different Outpost types refers to?
You know, one of the most disappointing things about the game's development direction since the very earliest versions was a serious fear/concern that PVP would get completely toxic and out of hand. Thus the trending development has been to nerf that possibility without trying to make PVP to be fun and rewarding. It seems like the first wave of population loss was those that had signed up for exciting PVP, even though they were willing(for the most part) to accept the whole reputation thing and other original proposed checks and nerfs. The things that would still allow PVP to be actually FUN were never developed while more nerfs were piled on.
I write that this is a disappointing trend because it has resulted in large exodus' of regular players while PVP never really ever got out of hand. I do not count PVP forum smack talk as "toxic" PVP. All of the fear/concern never happened.

I, to my shame, was a huge pre game advocate toward nerfing PVP. smile

I do acknowledge that PVP, if it did get out of hand, might have negative affects. Yet you shouldn't say you have a game wherein PVP is supposed to be a big component and nerf it to the point that PVP enthusiasts lose interest.

Edit: To answer that question I would say that early game PVP(all kinds lumped as one) was experienced by myself, and turned out to be more fun than I thought, about 5-10%. Last 3 years .0001% or less.
Rynnik
Flari-Merchant
Edit: To answer that question I would say that early game PVP(all kinds lumped as one) was experienced by myself, and turned out to be more fun than I thought, about 5-10%. Last 3 years .0001% or less.

I haven't found PvP since I've been back to the game which has mostly consisted in time remembering mechanics, then doing the 'run around the whole map quest', then scouting for empty hexes for outposts to realize there weren't any. A lot of travel without any encounters (which I'd expect to lose since I'm only T2). EVE online took hours to find a fight sometimes. I'm starting to think it would take weeks in PFO to actually find someone randomly out gathering or pveing that you could randomly gank.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Azure_Zero
OrinSonders
It seems the Choose Your Own Escalation! option was popular among the player base. I'd like to see it continue in some limited form. If a Settlement could accomplish a set of reasonable conditions or quests, they could earn the right to call in an escalation to their assigned hex like what was done during the Home Sweet Home Event. To avoid using code, requirements would have to be something Bob could monitor, or items gathered or created that could be turned in, etc.

I would think with limited coding, a charm/totem item could be added to the crafting recipes list for Seneschal that used Bulk Resources, Tokens, Refined Mats, Codex, etc. of an acceptable quantity. A different charm/totem to summon Tier 1,2,3. Maybe even different recipes for each of the different escalations. In effect, create "lures" a Settlement could set out for each of the different types. Molochs like to burn things. Goblins like FOOD!

The above figures on Bob doing the work manually each time. Hopefully with minimal coding, the lure could be made durable to some extent and add a certain percentage increase to the chance a certain type of escalation drops into the hex each time it is cleared.

Some of use would like to have the escalations pop into hexes other then the settlement's hex, since a settlement's hex could change. And I also put fore the idea that calling in a escalation could also be put into a home hex to shake things up from the normal stagnant state.
NightmareSr
Azure_Zero
… And I also put fore the idea that calling in a escalation could also be put into a home hex to shake things up from the normal stagnant state.
Wouldn't that directly conflict with the intent of a "Home Hex"? Seems like a weird idea to me.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
NightmareSr
I love the idea of being able to "earn" a "call in escalation spawn" though, it could really had some ongoing fun to the game. The crafting "bait" concept seems very nice in particular.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Bob
Edam
The Eternal Balance
What was the original intention of the Solider and Officer skills? Maybe that intention could/should be realized?
TL&DR … I believe the original skills were relevant to a style of large scale PvP that the game moved away from a long time ago and will never go back to
Correct, the primary function of those skills was providing bonuses to Formations, a feature so far off our radar now that we have no issues with repurposing Soldier and Officer for something else instead.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Might be interesting if the Officer skill could enable some bit of control over your Thorn Guards for both PVE and PVP defensive actions.

But I know: Coding, coding, coding…
The most feasible possibility along these lines would be some kind of bonus to the guards based on the best Officer skills in the company/settlement. We could probably come up with something that wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Something bigger, like actually telling the guards what to do or even just giving you a choice between various AIs (Aggressive, Defensive, etc…), would be much more difficult, really an entire feature on its own. It would make sense for Officer skill to feed into it though.
Bob
NightmareSr
I was chatting with a new player over the weekend and it brought up a point that PvP is mentioned a lot in the guide and documentation for the game still. Also there are people who refuse this game cause of mandatory PvP. I know of a lot of players who are active and adamantly refuse to PvP at all but also never comment in the forums at all.
Has there ever been surveys or other means of crowdforging, or has it always been done via forum posts? If only by the forum posts, I would recommend finding another method, since these forums won't garner as complete of a response.
We get feedback from a variety of sources that aren't always public, including direct emails and chats, and even take into account learnings and best practices from other games. The forums are great for open discussions, but it's important to treat them as only one source of feedback among many.

On the subject of PvP, we're very aware that a lot of players, both current and potential, are extremely PvP-averse. In particular, while they may be willing to participate in PvP when they're expecting it, or when they take an action that explicitly invites it, they aren't open to it when unexpected, or even when they've just grown accustomed to it not happening much and forget to be constantly vigilant to avoid it. That's why the roadmap had Flag for PvP as one of our upcoming features, and why it's likely to return to the roadmap once we get the cloud and Unity work completed. While Flag for PvP does add some opportunities for PvP, it also requires that players explicitly say they're interested in PvP before they even have to worry about it.
Rynnik
Bob
That's why the roadmap had Flag for PvP as one of our upcoming features, and why it's likely to return to the roadmap once we get the cloud and Unity work completed. While Flag for PvP does add some opportunities for PvP, it also requires that players explicitly say they're interested in PvP before they even have to worry about it.
Oh I am REALLY sad to read that, Bob. I know personally giving my taste in games that will be the last day of PFO for me. I can't stand MMOs with pvp opt in flags as it destroys the only truly interesting element of a virtual world, the unpredictable interaction with other players.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post