Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Fun With Content

NightmareSr
Rynnik
People rarely play in their own self interest. Game designers have to consider that what players say they want and what they actually want are not always the same. Games have killed themselves by doing exactly what their player base asked for.
I agree, but there still has to be some consideration for mitigating the features/functions that are stopping many from even trying the game. With the ability to try the game with a free account there is the potential for more people to try the game yet there don't seem to be that many willing to give it a chance. Games have killed themselves by not attracting players also. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Flari-Merchant
PVP issues have been around since Pong. smile

There are a great many more things to do here, for the game, to attract and keep the current expectations of playing and paying(ultimate goal) customers than PVP.

Not to be-little the PVP conflict concerns people have but that really comes down to the correct balance of PVP agency which has always been a major point of disagreement at the ends of all preferences. A game simply needs to decide what it really wants, code it in and accept that is the game they will get. Consequently the player has to decide if they want to play that game.

They can always adjust it later, if it can be adjusted, but it will always be contentious.
Flari-Merchant
Hmmm… The above being said, I am not in doubt that discussion around PVP and what sort of direction PFO should go with it is important. It may be that the flag option thinking may be a solution that works if it is done well, in interesting ways, rewarding for a large type of playstyles and all that great sounding stuff.

Besides, I have always found it fascinating. smile
Azure_Zero
Rynnik
People rarely play in their own self interest. Game designers have to consider that what players say they want and what they actually want are not always the same. Games have killed themselves by doing exactly what their player base asked for.

It's true.
Bob
This thread and at least one other post elsewhere veered pretty heavily into personal comments, so I deleted a bunch of posts here and made a small edit elsewhere. Some of the deleted posts weren't all that problematic on their own, but were difficult to separate out, so I apologize for any over-correction.
Tuoweit
Edam
My main interest in this game was the large scale formation PvP and it was the only reason I contributed to the kickstarter. I came from EVE not pathfinder tabletop. Not 100% sure why I am still here, the game can be oddly addictive at times.

I actually really liked the original plans for PvP which basically were large scale formation PvP and faction wars between groups like the merchant faction and the bandit faction with chaotic (EVE losec) style random jumping people being severely restricted because as a play style it is too easy, too optimal, has minimal downsides.

I still think the "chaotic bandit" play style in most games is far too optimal, you can go fishing for the weekend get home hit the pub with your mates for a few hours and then after a few beers randomly log in and see who is about you can fake role-play (EVE Code for example) a reason to kill then log out again for a week. Meanwhile the defensive aspect of it all involves guarding everything 24/7 on the off chance that sometime or other this week someone might decide to attack you smile

It is somewhat sad the game evolved away from that original vision but it is what it is. I gave up years ago fighting the inevitable.

+1 to all this.
Flari-Merchant
It is pretty clear that the amount of "random" PVP which is allowed into games or is perceived as normal in any game has a very direct correlation to how many are going to be interested in trying a game. Also the realization of how much and what kind of PVP is experienced in the game has and will affect how many will stay in the game.

Finding that balance is pretty important. These issues do tie into the "Fun With Content" subject. I hope that the censorship of comments about it can be mitigated by keeping out of the personal realm about specific character or group actions and allowed some non personal discussion about personal and group activities that are not wanted and/or are "OK" as far as the developers are concerned.

Need some examples so that they can be shown, considered and strong guidelines can be laid down. No amount of coding will cover all possible activities but some clearly worded "rules" about conduct, with examples, might help.

Lets look at the future(rather than dwell on the past) so that Paizo can be better prepared to someday handle marketing the game correctly to the vast audience of potential gamers out there.
Bob
Bob
This thread and at least one other post elsewhere veered pretty heavily into personal comments, so I deleted a bunch of posts here and made a small edit elsewhere. Some of the deleted posts weren't all that problematic on their own, but were difficult to separate out, so I apologize for any over-correction.

I have removed more posts from this thread. Pray I don't sanitize it any further.
NightmareSr
Bob
Bob

I have removed more posts from this thread. Pray I don't sanitize it any further.
I heard there is a Hand Sanitizer shortage currently, hope this doesn't cause a shortage of Forum Sanitizer also. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Flari-Merchant
A little silly with the pop so low right now but could some things be done around future factions as far as "Fun With Content" goes?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post