Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Fun With Content

Edam
Bob
Throw out your suggestions and let's see if we can find a way to make some of them happen. I'll throw some of my own in here along the way.

1) You could always have a batch of Aristocrats occupy all the Settlement Keeps in the game with mini-nuhrs on the battlements (number dependant on settlement level) who shutdown the settlement till they are cleared smile

Maybe make Thornkeep just necromancers and goblins - cos new players smile

2) Or if that is not viewed as fun … colorful loot pinata llamas (mules) who randomly spawn in locations about the map and run away from players. Make them fast and tough to kill but drop goodies, including occasional gold coins or stones. Possibly have the loot drop in a husk so bandit types have a chance of purloining it. A semi official version of the mule games.

3) run a quest that does something useful with complete sets of those annoying damn prophecies and collections of bad poetry
NightmareSr
I do Not want any mini-nuhrs in Cauchemar, please. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Bob
Edam
1) You could always have a batch of Aristocrats occupy all the Settlement Keeps in the game with mini-nuhrs on the battlements (number dependant on settlement level) who shutdown the settlement till they are cleared smile
Something that tough might be a bit much to hit all the settlements at once, and there'd be quite a bit of code work involved to make this happen globally. Does make me think about some things I could do on a smaller scale, like just targeting one settlement at a time for something similar, perhaps even targeting the settlement with the most holdings, to tackle two issues at once.

Edam
Maybe make Thornkeep just necromancers and goblins - cos new players smile
All the hexes nearest to Thornkeep are populated with only the mobs required by the tutorials, and they're generally set up to have less-populated encounters. The mobs are all at roughly the same levels, and each type of mobs is very easy to handle for at least one role, but likewise not as easily handled by at least one other role. That can give the impression that some of the mob types are harder than others, but mostly it's just that what's harder or easier is dependent on your role (aside from the obvious difficult differences within each type).

Edam
2) Or if that is not viewed as fun … colorful loot pinata llamas (mules) who randomly spawn in locations about the map and run away from players. Make them fast and tough to kill but drop goodies, including occasional gold coins or stones. Possibly have the loot drop in a husk so bandit types have a chance of purloining it. A semi official version of the mule games.
It would take some AI code to make anything behave in a new way, but I can create the basic loot pinatas you're talking about, whether overloaded mules or easily killed rich goblins (basically just a specific entity with its own very-generous loot table, or a mule that I load up through GM commands), and manually launch them at random locations. I could also technically add some kind of loot pinata as a very-low-probability spawn around the world, or possibly just in cleared monster hexes.

Edam
3) run a quest that does something useful with complete sets of those annoying damn prophecies and collections of bad poetry
That is a very interesting idea. I actually could create quests where players turn those items in (has to be in a very specific order admittedly) and get rewards at the end. Each quest could only be finished once per character, but that's okay. It would also be possible to throw in some recipes that use specific documents to put them together into a book, which is then turned in as part of a quest. Definitely some possibilities here.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
7 days after a Holding's outposts get destroyed, destroy the Holding. That is 14 days of opportunity to get the Influence sorted out and save the Holding.
The current implementation of Max Influence isn't very picky about which buildings get shut down, and thus destroyed after being shut down for 7 days. I'm not sure how much extra code would be involved to prioritize that, but it could probably be done.

If the main goal is to ensure that players have at least 14 days, the easiest change would probably just be to say it takes 14 days of being shut down instead of the current 7 before getting torn down.

Flari-Merchant
During that time there should be a count down timer accesseble at the door, to anyone that checks.
That probably wouldn't be too hard, but is definitely code. On the downside, it would be a little unpredictable. We don't currently prioritize which buildings get shut down, so it all depends on which map servers come up more quickly each day. As a result, a company that's just running low on Max Influence might have different buildings shutting down each day, and each building's timer would restart any day it was active. We could do some work to prioritize them more consistently, but we've generally seen this as a buffer time, where first the company is hit by inefficiencies, and over time it leads to holdings (and their outposts) being torn down for lack of bulk resources

Flari-Merchant
When the Holding collapses have all of that Holdings held goods drop into a chest able to be looted.
We've long wanted to eventually do something like this, and to turn all the vault contents over to any company that takes over a holding, but we have regular debates about exactly how/when to best implement it. At the very least, we want to give everyone who might have items at a holding plenty of warning about such a change, since those items were put there at a time when doing so was perfectly safe (access can be lost, but the items are safely hidden away). Ideally, we'd also have a way to tell players where they have items stashed around the world first. We're in a better position to email the right accounts about changes than we were before, and maybe we can come up with other quick solutions to any other issues that should be taken care of first. Certainly worth considering, but I do suspect there's a reasonable amount of code work involved, some of which does at least solve other problems for us along the way.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Here is a suggestion:

How about something that can be built to reduce travel time like a horse saddle or carriage? Make whatever it is be at least twice as fast as haste spells. That way crafters get a new job in making horse saddles and people will buy them to reduce travel time.

Make them last for a time limit, similar to mules. You can have differing tiers of horses with different tier bonuses.

I'm not sure how much work that would be right now but perhaps after the unity engine upgrade it can be added? Still drives me bonkers that it takes forever to get to someone else's settlement.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Here is a suggestion:

How about something that can be built to reduce travel time like a horse saddle or carriage? Make whatever it is be at least twice as fast as haste spells. That way crafters get a new job in making horse saddles and people will buy them to reduce travel time.

Make them last for a time limit, similar to mules. You can have differing tiers of horses with different tier bonuses.

I'm not sure how much work that would be right now but perhaps after the unity engine upgrade it can be added? Still drives me bonkers that it takes forever to get to someone else's settlement.
QoL +1 Also adds to crafting, economy, etc…
Bob
Paddy Fitzpatrick
How about something that can be built to reduce travel time like a horse saddle or carriage?
We've talked about a mix of ideas to improve travel speed. So far all the ideas required a moderate amount of code, but there are definitely some options that aren't too terrible in that regard. The easiest options for now would really just involve letting individual characters move significantly faster under certain conditions, possibly including having little/nothing in inventory, and with restrictions that prevented this extra speed from being useful in combat.

It's possible that this could involve some kind of consumable, but anything akin to mounts or the like would be quite a bit of work. We could of course say you're using a horse saddle and we just haven't made the horse yet, but probably better to just give it some kind of supernatural basis.
Rynnik
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Here is a suggestion:

Be VERY VERY careful nudging the lever of quick travel. I think that part of why PFO has an economy on the go despite the low player base is very much tied to the 'space' of the game (this is additionally a reason I don't favour map shrinking).

The idiot game devs over at Darkfall: RoA keep trying to fix the economy after it has broken without wiping and do initiatives like 'localizing' certain resources on the map - all while adding in additional fast travel for player convenience. Guess what? You can't have both obviously and the economy continues to suffer from the fact you can teleport around with whatever you want.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
BlackMoria
I play Division 2. Players enjoy what the community calls 'Loot Goblins' (there is no goblins in the game, just a colorful moniker) The Loot Goblin is a single top tier mob. He is well armored, hits hard, and runs like hell once he starts to lose. Kill him before he escapes and you get better than normal loot in quality and quantity.

So, make a unique 'goblin' for T1, T2 and T3 that can be found in the open world. Color them so the players know it is not a normal goblin. How tough to make them can be discussed. You want to make them tough but no impossibly so. Their loot drops are from a special loot table, not the standard ones, so the drops are guaranteed - maybe coin (like silver instead of normal copper for a T1 loot goblin, for example), some enchantment mats of the appropriate tier, a recipe or expendable of the appropriate tier. Maybe a special souvenir like what we have in the Home Sweet Home event, that can be collected and handed in for ever increasing rewards based on number turned in. Whatever. Just make it interesting so that players get excited if they come across one. And make them rare, to make encountering one something to talk about.
Flari-Merchant
BlackMoria
I play Division 2. Players enjoy what the community calls 'Loot Goblins' (there is no goblins in the game, just a colorful moniker) The Loot Goblin is a single top tier mob. He is well armored, hits hard, and runs like hell once he starts to lose. Kill him before he escapes and you get better than normal loot in quality and quantity.

So, make a unique 'goblin' for T1, T2 and T3 that can be found in the open world. Color them so the players know it is not a normal goblin. How tough to make them can be discussed. You want to make them tough but no impossibly so. Their loot drops are from a special loot table, not the standard ones, so the drops are guaranteed - maybe coin (like silver instead of normal copper for a T1 loot goblin, for example), some enchantment mats of the appropriate tier, a recipe or expendable of the appropriate tier. Maybe a special souvenir like what we have in the Home Sweet Home event, that can be collected and handed in for ever increasing rewards based on number turned in. Whatever. Just make it interesting so that players get excited if they come across one. And make them rare, to make encountering one something to talk about.
Lots of good ideas here that just make random things which tickle player endorphins. I like it.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post