Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Fun With Content

Paddy Fitzpatrick
@Rynnik

As far as faster travel goes I'm talking more of a consumable that summons a mount or gives super speed. It could be made that it ends when hit in combat or something so it isn't abused in combat situations. Whole point isn't to make access super easy, just make what is usually anywhere from a 15-45 minute run through this big map a bit more bearable.
It can be a motivation killer when even to get a new player to come to your settlement you are taking a long and tedious trek through a lot of unpopulated hexes. You won't meet anyone, at T1 you can't fight much and unless you are a wizard or to a lesser extent a cleric you are gonna be slow af. Even with something like haste it is only slightly better.

Even with this consumable it will still be a run sim, just not as painful depending on tier of the consumable. Plus it wouldn't be something you would wanna use to get around in high level escalations with.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick
As far as faster travel goes I'm talking more of a consumable that summons a mount or gives super speed. It could be made that it ends when hit in combat or something so it isn't abused in combat situations.

The issue with fast travel is not so much abuse in combat. It is projection of power.

With fast travel a strong group would be able to attack or defend anywhere on the map regardless of where their home base is with relative ease. It is a tool that would heavily advantage established groups with extensive resources.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick
As far as faster travel goes I'm talking more of a consumable that summons a mount or gives super speed. It could be made that it ends when hit in combat or something so it isn't abused in combat situations.

The issue with fast travel is not so much abuse in combat. It is projection of power.

With fast travel a strong group would be able to attack or defend anywhere on the map regardless of where their home base is with relative ease. It is a tool that would heavily advantage established groups with extensive resources.

Not if it is a craftable consumable that only lasts for a certain period of time (like say the time for a mule), until you log out or when you get hit by anything (mob or player). Make it something all characters at all tiers can use.

It gives two benefits. First as a consumable item it gives crafters something more to do and a new way to make bank cause I'm sure these products will always be in demand. Second it evens up the playing field so that anyone can have the ability to give themselves a speed boost.

Cause I hate to break it to ya but wizards already have that advantage. They have the fastest speed buff in the game, it lasts for some time even in combat to where you can dodge escalations entirely AND it costs little energy to maintain over long distances. A settlement with a sufficient number of wizards has much more power in terms of being either a fast response team or a holding harassment team. No other class can do this and that is a major disadvantage if you wanna talk force projection. The additional buff the spell provides is also another force multiplier on top of all this, something the consumable would not provide.

So let everyone have a chance. It may get double the speed buff from a wizard but if you can be knocked off your non existent horse so to speak it balances it out. These fears are unfounded.
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
harneloot
There already is a craftable Fast Travel option: Potion of Speed
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
harneloot
There already is a craftable Fast Travel option: Potion of Speed

Yeah that's a good point.

Make it better then and give it a bigger speed boost in the way I described.
Also when they are able to add horses, make it summon a horse with hp instead.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
Actually thinking…. do Y'all really want all skills easily accessible to all classes. Don't you want certain roles to have unique things about them?

It is well pointed out that Wizard spell/skills and potions already give that stuff to players.

Maybe it really is the same old issue that the world is underpopulated so we all have gotten used to having to travel far to get things done and maintain things.
Tuoweit
Being a level 2 Wizard is also accessible to all players.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Tuoweit
Being a level 2 Wizard is also accessible to all players.

At the cost of being a very out of the way investment that will set back becoming T3 for a very long time. Multiclassing is only something worth trying once you get mid to high T3 as I had learned the hard way.
Find us on PFO Discord
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Flari-Merchant
Actually thinking…. do Y'all really want all skills easily accessible to all classes. Don't you want certain roles to have unique things about them?

Don't be silly, of course not. I just want a speed item (well a horse that can be damaged really but that won't happen anytime soon) that gives a higher speed boost than what we got now.

Maybe it really is the same old issue that the world is underpopulated so we all have gotten used to having to travel far to get things done and maintain things.

That is a big part of it on top of the fact that the map is just too big even when there were more players. You can even leave most of the current settlements in game but cut some of the ones near the edges that are just being propped up by settlement collectors while keeping the actual active settlements (Whether part of an alliance or an independent group) on the new shrunken map. Leave some settlements open for takeover by new groups of course but there are so many superfluous settlements that are only adding to someone's settlement collection or are fought over to prevent further takeover from other settlement collectors that can be either released as open settlements or removed entirely.

There is always room to expand the map later to its former size.

Perhaps then with more people and a more condensed map you will get more player interaction, give the sense that the world is alive even if the pop is kinda small, and the amount of stuff being taken and fought over is representative of the pop and activity not an inflated few.
Find us on PFO Discord
Rynnik
@Paddy

What you propose for movement could probably be fine if carefully monitored and watched. I just think extreme caution should be taken with player movement speed over ANY other player power balance issue. For the record I said from day one Wizard haste should be nerfed as well smile

I know Bob is already aware and mentioned it already but don't forget that outside of character moving convenience and force projection issues, movement of goods and materials and the impact of that on the economy is a really important consideration for any speed buffs.

(Still against any wipes or map size reductions but I feel like I said my piece on that. I'd much rather see the map develop 'empty' space through other measures then moving the force field around.)
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post