Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Start Over

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Double post.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Azure_Zero
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Double post.

More like a triple post, and your kinda agreeing to my outline of how it should be done.
Bob
Our general take on a wipe is that most of the problems it solves just come right back after a year or two, so it's better to tackle the problems themselves. The biggest exception to that would be the possibility of shrinking the initial map, which would certainly have some advantages. That comes at a pretty high cost though, including the likely need to make some adjustments for features that currently make use of the larger map (quests, enchantment raw materials, …)
NightmareSr
Bob
Our general take on a wipe is that most of the problems it solves just come right back after a year or two, so it's better to tackle the problems themselves. The biggest exception to that would be the possibility of shrinking the initial map, which would certainly have some advantages. That comes at a pretty high cost though, including the likely need to make some adjustments for features that currently make use of the larger map (quests, enchantment raw materials, …)
I sort of like the big map size… Just need to be able to auto-run on the roads and have things like horses and wagons.
Is the new unity going to help with terrain issues and possibility of "follow the roads" mechanics?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
NightmareSr
harneloot
The wipe (as I already suggested!) would need to give back all the XP everyone had already paid for over the years. Which means, what, I would start the game with around 4 million xp or so at this point? However, everyone would still be gated behind the same stat point, achievement, gear, mats, support level etc, etc, etc gates.

I really think this is the ONLY way to give this game a realistic chance of seeing a real vibrant LIFE in the RIver Kingdoms.

Re-BOOT the game right after the Unity upgrade and pull in the ToT!!!

(hey, a person can dream can't they?)
I certainly wouldn't have 4 million xp…. BUT I for one would be pissed if all xp and everything was just gone. At that point I would see little reason to not just find a different game.

But then again I just got my main 2 characters into T3 armor beginning of the year and just recently got their attacks to T3.
So, I would hate to just start over when I am rounding the last corner to a full character. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Rynnik
Bob
Our general take on a wipe is that most of the problems it solves just come right back after a year or two, so it's better to tackle the problems themselves.

This. So much this.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
BlackMoria
Wow. Nice idea, but who get to be settlement leaders of the 2 or 3 settlements? Because you risk turning this into a Game of Thrones without the White Walkers or Dragons.

Which of all the settlement leaders get to be King for the two or three settlements and the rest of the settlement leaders get told to sod off - thanks for jumping through all the hoops and stuff to become settlement leaders but go to the back of the bus now because of now you are under new management. Who decides this and how? Elections? The top two or three leaders of the most developed settlements are the leaders? Game of Thrones style? All hail Emperor Bob?

That is going to be a stumbling block. Only several settlement leaders remain, the rest get told 'thanks for playing but give up your driver seat and get to the back of the bus'.

And what if players don't like any of the royal rumps installed in the select few seats of power. What is their recourse? The current rules make the settlement leader near invincible. They can't be deposed - either Bob must remove them or they must step down. So, settlement leadership rules would have to be reworked perhaps. Because I don't see reducing all the settlement leaders down to two or three being without a whole lot of angst.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
That depends on your point of view. Remember that just about all of the Settlements in the game now(maybe all?) were pre awarded. That set a stage for the "haves" and the "have no chancers". Or maybe it is inaccurate to state that as there has never been a sufficient incoming group sticking around long enough to try and build a settlement from nothing.

A year in to a reset might look different if everyone had to earn(through some type of gameplay) a spot to put their Settlement.

Not that I am still against an Influence tax now that I understand where the mechanics are. If that truly does free up hexes then that would be the less painful move and not rock the precious boat.
Bob
NightmareSr
Is the new unity going to help with terrain issues and possibility of "follow the roads" mechanics?
A lot of those issues have more to do with the process we use to import the terrain from the third-party tool we used to generate the world in the first place, so probably not. It is possible that some things will get cleaned up if we have to re-import everything as part of the upgrade, but we're hoping to focus on the post-import data if we can. Likewise, the road data is something that's only in the initial terrain data files, so getting that into the game is all about adding that capability to our importer.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
That depends on your point of view. Remember that just about all of the Settlements in the game now(maybe all?) were pre awarded. That set a stage for the "haves" and the "have no chancers". Or maybe it is inaccurate to state that as there has never been a sufficient incoming group sticking around long enough to try and build a settlement from nothing.

A year in to a reset might look different if everyone had to earn(through some type of gameplay) a spot to put their Settlement.

There's actually been a fair amount of settlement turnover since launch. Many are indeed still from the Land Rush, and some may just still carry the original name. There are even two claimable settlements right now, though it probably wouldn't be easy to claim the hexes around them.

If we start to feel the population is ready for it, we can also start opening up some of the placeholder settlements. However, if we don't put some kind of tendency in for territory to be lost through game mechanics, as opposed to just through PvP, the tendency will always be for the world to fill up as quickly as it can, and then stay full.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post