Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Of Characters and Clouds

Bob
Still a little today left. smile Posting in a new thread momentarily.
Bob
Happy New Year! With the holiday event in full swing, and all of you making great progress on that front, Cole and I are once again focused on the cloud work. We managed to stick with mostly content work for the holiday event, so Cole's already fixed a couple of the cloud bugs I'd mentioned before (mobs not spawning and crafting doors not working), along with a few others he discovered while digging into those. There's still a little more cleanup to do, but (fingers painfully crossed) we hope to tackle scaling up from Internal (The Environment Formerly Known as Chitterwood, where only devs dare to tread) to Staging (The Environment Formerly Known as Zog, where intrepid players can join in but things may not quite be ready for prime time yet) soon.
Bob
With thankfully minimal distractions from OE 2.5 and the Blessed Territory Auction, Cole got the web site and other administrative tools for account login/management working and is currently ironing out the final client/server communication bugs from translating our internal Integration Testing (the new Chitterwood) environment to the larger Staging (the new Zog) environment. Once he's got everything talking together nicely, I'll put it through a round of testing to see if any hidden bugs cropped up during the transition.

At that point we'll have a nearly complete game environment running in the cloud, just on a smaller scale than Live. The next big step is connecting Staging to the wider internet so we can see how everything works when talking to it from outside the little walled garden we've created for ourselves. When that's working stably we'll start figuring out the best way to provide access for those of you interested in taking a look.
Bob
Between a mix of physical server issues, holidays, long-overdue vacation days and post-vaccination-blah recovery days, the last couple months have had their share of distractions. Despite it all, Cole had a major breakthrough this week and got Staging (our cloud version of the Zog test servers) accessible from the public internet. I was able to log in without any kind of VPN and run through a complete smoke test. Aside from some minor issues with activating characters from Free Trial Mode, everything else passed with flying colors.

The next step is to figure out which systems need to be finished up, or at least double-checked and fully tested, before we can safely invite all of you to log in and and join me in the cloud! And by that I mean with feet firmly planted in the Echo Woods, we're not adding a flying mechanic at this time smile
You are a Troll
Does this update mean/imply/signify that absolutely NOTHING has been done on the Unity upgrade yet?
Bob
You are a Troll
Does this update mean/imply/signify that absolutely NOTHING has been done on the Unity upgrade yet?

Not directly, no. Any time spent on the Unity upgrade at this point would just slow the cloud work down even more, so we're putting that off for now. It's possible that some of the changes/upgrades we've had to make to get things working in the cloud (oddly enough, modern server architectures don't always like six-year-old software) would also be required as part of the Unity upgrade, but we'll probably never know for sure how much overlap there is, if any.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post