Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

What Pathfinder Online Needs

Azure_Zero
I've started working on some Videos showing what PFO lacks compared to another one, one that oddly is as about as Old as PFO, and is also getting an Engine Upgrade this year.

Curious, if GW would be interesting in my notes and or Videos….
as I believe these should be thought about before any major upgrading goes in so was during the upgrade,
files are noted/bookmarked and things get prepared for adding these new features.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Curious, if GW would be interesting in my notes and or Videos….
as I believe these should be thought about before any major upgrading goes in so was during the upgrade,
files are noted/bookmarked and things get prepared for adding these new features.

I'd be happy to take a quick look, but it's important to note that our initial upgrade plan is just to get the current game code and content running in the latest version of Unity. We'll get some bug fixes as part of that, and there may be some features we can just check a box and turn on, but bigger features made possible by newer engines often require lots of new art and changes to the graphic pipeline. We'll be pretty limited in our ability to take advantage of those at first. We're most likely to look at various pain points that the current engine makes difficult to fix, like slow vault/inventory lists and problems with alt-tab, than at the big graphic improvements newer engines brag about, at least initially.
Azure_Zero
OK Bob, These videos mostly compare PFO vs PSO2, so I kinda nicknamed them PVP videos.

Sorry, My first two videos are really rough as I forgot to change some audio settings before recording.
I'll likely be redoing them with better audio later, and fix a few issues due to missing information that clears up things.
Videos Folder
Only 2 videos are up at this point, one on Login and Communication (with some extra thoughts), the other a bit on races and classes.

Also here are some screen shoots from PSO2 that hint at things that could be thought about.
Images

Already started work on a video for the Crafting Differences. and two videos on just thoughts about the PFO and PSO2 and what could make PFO better using ideas from PSO2.

I don't might if you download them as it could be good reference material of something during a meeting at GW.
Azure_Zero
Edit mistake
Azure_Zero
Started a list on what videos I'll be working on.

Redo Videos on;
Login/Communication
Races and Classes

New videos;
Settlement/Companies vs Alliances
Weapons and Armour
Character Customisation / Character Appearance
Environments
Events
Crafting and Gathering
Quests / Missions
Combat
Tutorials
F2P and Subbed Modes

And two Videos covering thoughts on the two games.
—-

If something perks interest and want more info I can work on making a video covering it in more detail.
And Feedback can help me make the videos better.
Azure_Zero
New Video Uploaded; F2P and Premium
Videos Folder.

I recommend this getting viewed, hence it jumped the queue a lot, as it ties in the next one; Reasons to Login.
Azure_Zero
And Just uploaded "Reasons 2 Login", a video that assists some with the previous "F2P and Premium Video."
Videos Folder.

When I redo Login and Comms, I've be breaking them up into two separate videos covering Login and Communication differences.

I hope your all enjoying these videos.

I'd also like to hear peoples thoughts on what I've reviewed so far with videos in what PFO needs.
In fact I ask others that are playing another MMOs along side PFO to show ideas from those games, let's get crowd forging this game into a better state.
Azure_Zero
I think one of the next videos I'll put up is based on my thoughts and also show What an Urgent Quest looks like in PSO2.

And Again feedback on these videos would be helpful, not just for me, but for PFO as well as I wish for PFO to be successful and grow.
Bob
I've only had a chance to look at the login/comms video so far, but you make lots of good points. Some are things we've talked about doing, and in some cases we've even started doing the work. For example, switching to per-character subscriptions was a necessary step toward handling more than three characters per account, but switching the UI around to handling more than three characters is doable but will involve a fair amount of work.

Others involve design choices that we made for reasons specific to the game we envisioned, like requiring that each character display name be unique. For a game where we saw other players/characters as the main content/challenge of the world, we felt a much stronger need to make sure that other players were easily/permanently identifiable than some other MMOs might. There are of course other options, like attaching an ID number at the end of each name, but we were really shooting for an immersiveness to even the names, so we chose not to go that route. Maybe we could consider something like Nicknames as a future feature, with no requirement that they be unique. We could display each character as just Nickname most of the time, but show them as Nickname (UniqueName) on tooltips and wherever the UI had loads of room. That might not be too hard to add

The biggest trick with all the ideas is, as usual, what we're able to do with limited coding work. One thing that stood out to me as potentially involving the least code work would be repeatable quests. I think there might be a way to do add that which wouldn't involve too much work, depending on exactly how we designed it to work. If we could do that, then adding more quests is mostly just content work. And yes, I could potentially spread new quest givers around the world, and maybe even put down some interesting landmarks at some of those locations.
Azure_Zero
Bob
I've only had a chance to look at the login/comms video so far, but you make lots of good points. Some are things we've talked about doing, and in some cases we've even started doing the work. For example, switching to per-character subscriptions was a necessary step toward handling more than three characters per account, but switching the UI around to handling more than three characters is doable but will involve a fair amount of work.

Others involve design choices that we made for reasons specific to the game we envisioned, like requiring that each character display name be unique. For a game where we saw other players/characters as the main content/challenge of the world, we felt a much stronger need to make sure that other players were easily/permanently identifiable than some other MMOs might. There are of course other options, like attaching an ID number at the end of each name, but we were really shooting for an immersiveness to even the names, so we chose not to go that route. Maybe we could consider something like Nicknames as a future feature, with no requirement that they be unique. We could display each character as just Nickname most of the time, but show them as Nickname (UniqueName) on tooltips and wherever the UI had loads of room. That might not be too hard to add

The biggest trick with all the ideas is, as usual, what we're able to do with limited coding work. One thing that stood out to me as potentially involving the least code work would be repeatable quests. I think there might be a way to do add that which wouldn't involve too much work, depending on exactly how we designed it to work. If we could do that, then adding more quests is mostly just content work. And yes, I could potentially spread new quest givers around the world, and maybe even put down some interesting landmarks at some of those locations.

Yeah, I can see the point with names given your points, though the way they did handle it covered some of those issues, as when ever you look at or communicate with player characters via menu or in the nearby area you get not only the character's name, but the Name of the account, so you can't just change the character's name to hide. Furthermore, any name changes happen at server maintenance and can only happen once every 30 days, and requires a premium sub or AC payment given the AC icon next to those options (though setting account name is free for the first time).

The thing I really like in that video is it shows a possible solution PFO could use for character switching without need to close the client.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post