Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

What Pathfinder Online Needs

Azure_Zero
So far ideas found in these videos that should be doable with limited resources;
Repeatable quests (Reasons2Login)
New Landmarks (Login and Comms (first one))
Auto-Chat (UQ_ElderFalz)
Party Beacon (UQ_ElderFalz)
Bosses with Counter Attacks (UQ_FinalLament)
Alliance/Company Quests (Companies Vs Alliances)

———
A quick note on the Common and different ways of the End game between PFO and PSO2, as it appears to not be enough to make a full video on.

PFO end game:
Gearing UP
Social gathering
Controlling territory

PSO2 end game:
Gearing UP
Social gathering
Phashion

Both have two common forms of end-game, but the last one is different and one is literally paying the bills for development many times over.
Phashion in PSO2 is a money maker for it, since there are a good number of players who are into the fashion part of the game aiming at making their character look; cool, cute, amazing, etc.
And to really do that, you need to either spend a lot of meseta in the Personal shops (talking 10's of millions for a single part, and some parts need to be bought twice to be usable by all characters it works with), or you buy scratch tickets with Star gems (SG) (SG items are not trade-able or marketable) or
Arks Cash (AC) (AC items are trade-able and can be sold on the marketplace).
Now to get a good round of scratches done, (not counting SG generation in game for SG scratches), it costs about $20+ and generally you go for about 2-3 rounds of batches to get a good start, selling items you don't want to buy items you do want.
Those that avoid buying SG or AC, but doing the Phasion end game, make do with in-game SG generation and get it paying for SG scratches and Gold Mission passes (if they go gold, they likely aim to get the hidden tiers since the hidden gold tiers have a lot of phashion items)
These Phashion items range from; outfits, hair styles, tattoos, accessories, poses/emotes, etc.
And the scratches cycle in and cycle out, so a outfit or hair style will only be available for a limited time, and them after that it'll just be the personal shops that have it and they can now charge over 100 Million meseta and get it.
Azure_Zero
So far ideas found in these videos that should be doable with limited resources;
Repeatable quests (Reasons2Login)
New Landmarks (Login and Comms (first one))
Auto-Chat (UQ_ElderFalz)
Party Beacon (UQ_ElderFalz)
Bosses with Counter Attacks (UQ_FinalLament)
Alliance/Company Quests (Companies Vs Alliances)
Enemies with Multiple targetable parts (UQ_ElderFalz) (would help solve enemies that dip below the ground with only a head exposed making them unkillable in a gusher)

Thinking of working on a Currencies video
(might add a bit on the phashion since that is one of the main and most used reasons for one of the currencies, heck it likely covers the cost of the F2P crowd and extra leftovers for more in development)

—–
I forget to include some links to videos that show the "Phashion" options in PSO2 (I figure around over half the population in each ship, buy AC for the AC scratch tickets, and I believe they buy between 2-8 bundles of scratches (each bundle is about $20), and that is about every 2 or 4 weeks between new scratch releases)
All these scratches are currently valid in game at the moment.

Warning some outfits / outfit breakdown might be a bit spicy for some folks taste.
Blazing Luster - Outfits that's fit with a gunslinger theme due to Luster class release
Versus Annihilation - Outfits based on THE BBEG and some player allies
ARKS Last Stand - mostly covering heroine NPCs and offers interesting accessories (who wants to make a real tiefling or half-dragon?)
Cosmo Fleet Heroes - collaboration with a anime series
Bob
Had a chance to watch the Reasons 2 Login video. Many of the ideas here wouldn't be overly difficult to implement in some fashion, and could leverage existing code and content. We already talked about repeatable quests, and it would be possible to mark them as only being available on certain days of the week, or every 12th day, or some similar pattern.

Similarly, we already have the ability to give characters items on login, which is how we transfer premium items to your inventory. We could adapt that to give characters a pack of items on their first login of the day, possibly different ones on different days, or better ones the more consecutive days that character logs in.

What we don't currently have is a good way to present those things to players as being special "just for logging in today" items or activities. We have pieces of such a system in the way we do notifications and in various UIs like the gathering window and the quest log, but we'd have to pull quite a few things together to present things well. That's all doable, but turns this into a bigger feature to both design and implement.

We've talked about adding similar daily activities/bonuses, but in the past we usually leaned towards systems that were more player-driven. For example, adding bids to the auction houses was partially meant to let players say "Hey, I want these items and I'll pay this amount for them," instead of having NPCs present similar requests. We've also talked a few times about adding some kind of bounty system, so settlements could offer rewards for helping clear areas out (of course, first we'd need more incentives for getting areas cleared out, where now settlements often want escalations on their doorstep and don't want others to tackle them). We've become more open to NPC-driven tasks over time, at least where they don't require massive amounts of new content to implement, but it would also be nice to be able to polish up some of the more player-driven concepts and get in some UI that better presents them to players when they log in. As a simple example, we could let players pay a small amount of coin to have their bids presented to players on login, which would feel similar to being presented with today's mission in other games. That type of polish to an existing player-driven system could be pretty helpful without requiring any rethinking of our original design.

NPC-/game-driven activities/bonuses are worth considering though, even if they do challenge some of our original design assumptions, and the UI for presenting them could also be used for player-driven activities. Lots of potential synergies here. None of them make the work involved here trivial, but they do make the cost/benefit analysis more favorable.
Azure_Zero
I agree the notification of getting stuff as you login would need some work.
The Login stamps screen would be a good notifier example to work from and show what they'd receive the next day that they login and they could even see what they got and would receive in logging in each day of any 30 days.

Getting these reasons2login going would help in getting the current player base more active, but also should PFO grow and become more player driven and then shrink in population again would give the players something to do, as most MMOs populations grow and shrink in size over time.

I've been thinking of how to do some restructuring of parts of PFO with as little work as possible.
With one part of it introducing a Merchant NPC in every tavern, whom everyone can buy from and sell to, but this merchant has rules that effect his prices and offers, with the Crafting buildings also being the shop you can buy from.

I'll likely work the whole thing into a MS-powerpoint / Libre-Impress file since some of the restructuring touches a few areas and is interconnected.

Currently working on the Currencies video, which might also give reasons to login and do stuff.
I think after that, I might work on a gathering and crafting video.
Naia
It's quite sad to see this. These kinds of threads used to have a good number of replies and ideas, but now it seems that the numbers of players and interest have dwindled so low, that people just don't care and have even given up hope to get anything changed.

And perhaps it's with good reason. The game is now approaching it's 7 ? year in development, but how much have really changed. I still check on the forums every few months. Every time hoping for some small glimmer of hope, or a light at the end of the tunnel, that something have changed. Something that make me want to renew my subscription and start playing again. So far I have not seen it.

Adding all the update notes together you get an impressive long list of changes, so something have happened. Sadly the overwhelming majority of those changes are something along the lines of : Added influence to companies so they can do something, added ways for settlements to use that influence for something else, added ways to fight other settlements, added ways to prevent that. And so it goes on, line after line after line. But the majority of people who have tried out the game are not going to be settlement owners, so they have basically gotten 7 years of nothing.

Okay, I get that the initial plan was very different, and when the two remaining guys are coders, then ofcourse coding is what you are going to get. But I also think a part of the problem is the mindset of those making the decisions. The game have two pillars in the foundation, the time based subscription model and the player driven economy. Over the years there have been many suggestions and ideas, the list is long. But despite all the fancy talk about crowd funding, the only list longer, is the excuses for why those two pillars can't be touched.
One of those, or preferably both, NEEDS to have some changes if things are ever going to be different..

Now if Bob are the unfortunate one who have to read trough this, I imagine his puls rate is rapidly approaching 200 by now, so in order to avoid a stroke, allow me a small detour to another game.

This game was quite similar to PFO in many ways. A largely player driven economy centred around crafting, but with a small number of item drops. Fighting was mostly party based, and with a high focus on synergy in the team, although you could do some solo play.
This game had a few bosses, one of them spawned after a server restart and once it was killed, it was gone until next time. Since there was no scheduled restarts, there was no farming or camping, it was just about being lucky to log on at the right time. It dropped a few items, including a piece of heavy torso armour. This armour was not the best, since you could craft stuff with better protection, but it had a build in bonus, that made it quite popular among high level fighters.

Now at some point I was lucky enough to get one of these armour pieces. I didn't have a high level fighter and I didn't really want one either. What I did have was a spell caster and I wanted to hunt some other creatures. These other creatures did a lot of damage, but only hit two parts of the body, one being your torso.
So I calculated, recalculated and double checked, it all turned out right. But I needed a higher level character, so the next months was spent playing the game, teaming up whit others when possible, and solo playing when not.
Finally the day arrived. I had the buffs, spells and put on my piece of armour, time to test it. And it worked. It in fact worked so well that I afterwards spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing whit this character.

So what is the point of this, that I'm an awesome gamer ? No. The point is that one single piece of equipment led to hundreds of hours of fun game play. Becourse it was super good ? No. Becourse it gave me options and choices.

Now let's return to PFO and compare. Becourse of the "everything must be crafted" mantra, there are no special items and no special loot drops, which means there is no options or choices either, and for a large part that really leads to the "there is really no reason to log in and play either" situation.
Although PFO got no fixed classes, everyone is still being funnelled down the same paths, they have to chose the same options as everyone else because feats and keywords have to match.

If the overall goal still is to have players fight over land control. Should it then not be possible to have an item that adds some bonus to pve, but have no affect in pvp ?
Surely it must be possible to find some middle ground here, where you both can have a mostly player driven economy, but still leave room for a limited amount of special items to drop. And where people can be diverse in pve but equal in pvp.

So to (loosely) quote one of your presidents : "Tear down this pillar Mr.Bob"

( And I am aware there have been some changes to the subscription model, but I'm not giving the team any credits for that. It first off happened 3 - 4 years too late, and as the result clearly showed, just dropping the price did nothing to attract new players. )

( Disclaimer. Implementation of some or all of these ideas may lead to increased fun factor and renewed subscriptions. Caution advised)
Azure_Zero
Added a new video on Currencies
videos folder

Redid all the videos to a smaller file size, by cutting the resolution in half.

Flari-Merchant
Personally, I have just come to the conclusion that it will be YEARS(Yeah, actually years) before PFO (if ever) shows enough development to seem at all different visually, play-wise, population wise or in all the ways that would bring it more "mainstream" attractive.

It just needs so much work fundamentally (on so many aspects) that small tweaks (while necessary) are not going to add up to "increased player interest" for YEARS.

In no way am I looking to disparage those working on this game or those suggesting improvements. Full Kudos to all such folk. For myself though, I am commenting less now because I am in DEEP WAIT MODE. Hopeful that the ship will arrive at that far star but pretty much sleeping until it gets much closer.
Azure_Zero
Naia has made some good points….

Flari-Merchant
Personally, I have just come to the conclusion that it will be YEARS(Yeah, actually years) before PFO (if ever) shows enough development to seem at all different visually, play-wise, population wise or in all the ways that would bring it more "mainstream" attractive.

I can very much agree on that, unless Goblin Works can get some more staff to help in getting stuff done.
The Eternal Balance
Azure_Zero

Flari-Merchant

I can very much agree on that, unless Goblin Works can get some more staff to help in getting stuff done.

What is the likelihood of that happening?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Azure_Zero
The Eternal Balance
Azure_Zero

Flari-Merchant

What is the likelihood of that happening?

I can't answer that, ask the ones in control.
If they keep the purse strings tighter then fort knox, then the game is as good as dead.
If they open the purse strings some and invest in getting more staff, they will start seeing life come back into the game.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post