Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

What Pathfinder Online Needs

Bob
Azure_Zero
I've been thinking of how to do some restructuring of parts of PFO with as little work as possible.
With one part of it introducing a Merchant NPC in every tavern, whom everyone can buy from and sell to, but this merchant has rules that effect his prices and offers, with the Crafting buildings also being the shop you can buy from.

We've talked about something like this off and on. There are some design challenges to integrating this kind of thing with a player-driven economy, but it's not impossible. Even the simplest implementation of it definitely involves some code, though there are some minimalist implementations that might not take very much.
Bob
Naia
Surely it must be possible to find some middle ground here, where you both can have a mostly player driven economy, but still leave room for a limited amount of special items to drop. And where people can be diverse in pve but equal in pvp.

So to (loosely) quote one of your presidents : "Tear down this pillar Mr.Bob"

You made a lot of good points Naia, and I really don't want to imply that our design pillars are sacrosanct principles that can never be challenged. We don't challenge them lightly though, for multiple reasons, one of the biggest being that so much of the existing game was built around them as core assumptions. As a result, changes to one system that seem relatively small can quickly bump up against multiple other systems that were built to assume the things such a change allows would never happen. That's true to some degree with almost any change we make to such a large system, but the closer something is to our core design pillars, the more likely that is to happen, and thus the more work will probably be involved to keep that change from breaking more than it fixes.

Nonetheless, if we decide a change is important enough, we're open to bending (or even breaking) those pillars and doing all the cleanup work needed. We've explored the idea of more meaningful loot drops, and you're right that done well they can do a lot to drive player interest and activity. Adding them in a way that doesn't completely undermine the crafters is tricky, but perhaps making those items useful only in PvE as you suggest, possibly only in very specific types of PvE, offers a path for introducing such a thing without completely displacing crafted items. I'll have to think about it a bit more, but I think there may be a way to do this using existing systems, so no code work involved. A little code would be nice though, since without it, there still wouldn't be any fanfare when you got a particularly lucky drop, it would just be mixed in with everything else that got auto-looted.
Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
I've been thinking of how to do some restructuring of parts of PFO with as little work as possible.
With one part of it introducing a Merchant NPC in every tavern, whom everyone can buy from and sell to, but this merchant has rules that effect his prices and offers, with the Crafting buildings also being the shop you can buy from.

We've talked about something like this off and on. There are some design challenges to integrating this kind of thing with a player-driven economy, but it's not impossible. Even the simplest implementation of it definitely involves some code, though there are some minimalist implementations that might not take very much.

I do agree that my idea of a restructuring for PFO will have some challenges in it, but it should help in a number of areas that the game likely needs some restructure work.
Now I'll admit some of could be rolled out in phases or stages to see the impact it has, but some of the interactions in the various parts would need some tweaking if rolled out in phases or stages.
And I do aim to keep the work needed for it as low as possible.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post