Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Blessed Territory

Bob
Edam
If someone trades in a hex for one of the new ones - is the hex they traded now available for someone else to trade for? or just bid for ? or does it become vacant?

I'm thinking the traded away hex would initially become available to be traded again, rinse and repeat until nobody is looking to trade any more, then the last ten hexes traded away would be available for bidding. That would only work though if we cycle through them pretty quickly, so interested parties would need to keep a close eye on the forums while trading is going on, which could last several days. Something like "any hex that goes 48 hours without receiving a trade offer will no longer be available for trading" would probably work, with all trades hopefully finishing up in less than a week.
Nails

Based on what I have read, I propose that you modify the auction and give Cauchemar 3 hexes near them but they need to give up a OR two hex somewhere else, give Fort Ouroboros the one hex near them but they have to give up a hex somewhere else, and Greystone Keep one hex near them with the same conditions. They need to put up holdings within the first week or they go up for auction. The rest of the hexes are available for auction as proposed by Bob.

Nails
Harad Navar
Nails
Based on what I have read, I propose that you modify the auction and give Cauchemar 3 hexes near them but they need to give up a OR two hex somewhere else, give Fort Ouroboros the one hex near them but they have to give up a hex somewhere else, and Greystone Keep one hex near them with the same conditions. They need to put up holdings within the first week or they go up for auction. The rest of the hexes are available for auction as proposed by Bob.

Nails
Agreed. Making the big bigger doesn't improve the game. Supporting active players does.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
You are a Troll
Harad Navar
Nails

Nails
Agreed. Making the big bigger doesn't improve the game. Supporting active players does.

Agree with Cauchemar & Greystone, but Fort O is just an extension of Keeper's Pass and doesn't need a *helping hand*
NightmareSr
Bob, since we are coming up on 1 week before March 1st auction deadline, when are you planning to lock in the decision on the details that have been discussed so far in this thread?
Also is your plan for the bids to be all blind and highest bid wins or is there anyway to attempt to up our bids in the process?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
– Cauchemar is a Greater Nightmare – cauchemar.pfo@gmail.com
Bob
I'm already planning on moving out any deadlines to give everyone plenty of time for any auctions. Want to make sure this plan, or this plan with some tweaks, is the best option to move forward with before making it official. Hoping to finalize things over the next few days.

My plan was for the bids to be blind. That's partially because it incentives grouping together to make the best possible bid, where open bids give the larger groups an opportunity to wait and see how best to group their bids. In turn, that increases the likelihood of one large group locking down most of the hexes, where my goal was to distribute them more evenly. Not that I mind if they get traded around afterward and those specific hexes mostly wind up in the hands of the nearest settlements, just that lots of groups have mentioned difficulties lining up their needed territory and I want as many of them as possible to have a good chance of getting at least one more hex somewhere when all the dust settles.

I also included the part about reducing bids to the minimum needed to win each hex so everyone can safely bid the maximum they'd be willing to pay, knowing that they won't wind up paying more than they would have if nobody else bid very highly for that hex. That should make up for the added risks of not being able to raise bids incrementally.

However, while I don't plan on displaying any bid amounts so groups can raise their bids accordingly, I would allow groups to adjust their bids right up until the deadline. That's mostly to cover cases where a group sent in its bid early, then found a couple more Blessings at the last minute.
Bob
Reaching some kind of consensus on the forums for granting hexes (or hex exchanges) to specific groups without offering the same to all groups would be difficult enough, but trying to do so while including the voices of those who'd rather not state their preferences publicly seems unlikely.

That said, my assumption was always that these specific hexes wouldn't necessarily be claimed directly by the winners, but would instead be exchanged for other hexes they'd prefer, for other political favors, or in some cases even just given away. I wouldn't tear down holdings built by someone other than the winner unless the winner asked me to, so exchanges would be just fine.

If everyone agrees that certain parties should wind up with certain hexes, then it should be fairly easy to agree on bidding strategies to make that happen. Just to throw out a completely random hypothetical, if everyone agreed that Settlement 1 should wind up with A, B and C, but should have to trade away X and Y in exchange, then Settlement 1 could bid 1 Silver for A, Settlement 2 the same for B, and Settlement 3 the same for C. If everyone else either doesn't bid for those, or bids just 1 Copper to make sure there's at least one bid, then the hexes would get sold for just 1-2 Copper and then Settlements 2 and 3 could trade B and C to Settlement 1 for hexes elsewhere.

Of course, just in case there's not as much agreement out there as some might think, then it would be best for 1, 2 and 3 to place higher bids to fend off possible competitors. If someone really feels that strongly about those hexes, then they could possibly win them, or at least force the winners to pay higher prices.

One issue with the current rules is that I was only going to reduce bids in Blessings down to 1 Blessing at minimum, but I could change that and allow winners the option of paying the least amount of coins necessary, up to some maximum they set. Then if nobody else bids in Blessings for a particular hex, the winner could pay very little if everyone really agrees they should have that hex.

To make the exchanges go more smoothly, I'd also be open to throwing in one "free" holding/outpost teardown for each winner. The teardowns would have to all be in a single hex owned by the same company that would actually be claiming the auctioned hex, with all buildings torn down, kits returned to that company, and any lost influence replaced. I could also arrange to time that teardown when the winning group could place a holding immediately, rather than needing to wait for the next Daily Maintenance and risk somebody else placing the holding first.

I think those changes would give the community the opportunity to distribute some or all of the hexes as they see fit at almost no cost, while still giving those who would prefer a different distribution a fair shot at their own preferences.
Bob
As a sidenote, I've been sorely tempted to add in a separate "hex exchange" phase before the auction, but that would really complicate things. In particular, it would require locking the exchanged hexes right away so they couldn't change hands even before the update. It's already going to be a little weird having GM-enforcement protect those 10 hexes for up to a week, so I'd really rather not have to do the same for a bunch of other already-claimed hexes weeks in advance. I'd much prefer a solution that limits the lockdowns to just those 10 hexes, which are already locked down until the update anyway, and then for as short a period as possible after the update.

Edam
You are a Troll
Harad Navar
Nails

Nails

Agree with Cauchemar & Greystone, but Fort O is just an extension of Keeper's Pass and doesn't need a *helping hand*

Not really, Keepers made it very clear when Fort was taken up that it was not to use any Keeper's resources. It has been built up almost entirely by Kazil single handedly.

Not that Fort necessarily needs any help it is ticking along nicely.
Edam
Bob
As a sidenote, I've been sorely tempted to add in a separate "hex exchange" phase before the auction, but that would really complicate things. In particular, it would require locking the exchanged hexes right away so they couldn't change hands even before the update. It's already going to be a little weird having GM-enforcement protect those 10 hexes for up to a week, so I'd really rather not have to do the same for a bunch of other already-claimed hexes weeks in advance. I'd much prefer a solution that limits the lockdowns to just those 10 hexes, which are already locked down until the update anyway, and then for as short a period as possible after the update.

Ok, so to be clear the proposed early exchange for the 10 hexes for other unwanted hexes is cancelled and we are now required to bid for one of the 10 hexes and can then transfer those to a different settlement if we want ?

Also, bidders must be Settlement Owners who can only win one hex? So we are limited, with exceptions like Cauchemar with two owners, to one hex per settlement ?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post