Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What's wrong with an OC profile?

kyntaro
Yesterday I'd tried to play PFO with a smooth OC profile on my AMD Phenom II X4 810, 2.8 up from 2.6 GHz (RAM raise at 1434 MHz - 1.66V). This profile is usually stable. If starded before launching game, client crash during login screen. Otherwise, starting profile while yet in game, cause client crash immediatly…
Any hint?
kyntaro
[SOLVED]

Seems game feel better the profile with a RAM not overclocked, in my case 800MHz @ 1.5V
Kitsune
Yeah, I've never had much luck overclocking RAM past it's specifications. Ever. So, now, I just buy faster RAM, regardless whether the motherboard supports that speed natively, or if I have to "overclock" to achieve that speed.

What I'm talking about is this:
My motherboard (GA-Z97X-UD5H) only supports momory up to 1600Mhz before it is considered "overclocking" (see the specs sheet). The memory I'm using (CMZ8GX3M2X2133C9R) is 2133Mhz memory. I have to manually tell my motherboard to use this speed.

"Normally" on better Intel boards, you have XMP (extreme memory profile) available to you, which will automatically adjust clock settings and timings to match what the memory is capable of doing (given the memory supports this also). AMD boards has some form of this also (called AMP). This is usually the best way to get the most out of your memory, without having to fiddle with timings and such.

In my case, with that specific memory, it turns out something is WRONG with the XMP that's included on the memory, and the programmed XMP information is inaccurate. It's a known issue with this particular set, so I still have to go in and manually adjust timings for the 2133Mhz to work without bluescreens and reboots. Ick.

So, back to the original point, I don't recommend trying to overclock the memory itself. I've never been able to achieve a stable overclock on memory, even when fine-tuning the timings and all that. It just never seems to work out for me.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post