Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Encumbrance is Coming - BEWARE

Yrme
Bringslite
…I will learn to keep an eye on my encumberance…

Encumbrance is one of those things that our character would be fully aware of (this load is getting heavy!). I think it should be visible in the basic UI, not hidden in some window.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
There is no limit to items in the bank and you can destroy items but not drop them on the ground. Tracking individually dropped items on the ground is a path that leads to madness and people spelling out obscenities.
I feel this is an ancient adagio from the early days of Everquest and somehow has stuck in the mind of developers over the years since, and now they are all echoing eachother. You can *still* drop items on the ground in Everquest where they appear as bags (or weapons) and I have not seen anything spelled out in the last 13 years in that game.

TBH, I think the real reason is that it puts an extra load on the network and databases. I wish the developers would just be honest about that. For me, small mechanics like this are the reason why I still keep logging into EQ from time to time. Not to spell out dirty words, but maybe because I have a stack of Misty thicket Picnics in my inventory that I want to hand out in one of the social hubs. SHouting out in /OOC and then putting them on the ground in a string so that people can pick them up.

Or finding something dropped on the ground, picking it up and noticing it is a piece of foraged food that undoubtedly has been dropped there by a Foraging Druid or so. That tells me that another player was here before me in the last 6 minutes (stuff poofs after about 6 minutes)and I find that sort of thing *exiting*. It is part of the "Massively Multiplayer" of these games: noticing the small effects, the *presence* of other players in that world.

The same goes for vendor-diving: nothing more exiting then checking some NPC merchant in a remote area of the world and finding something on him that must have been sold to him by another player. Knowing that this other player was here before me, and sold his loot, his foraged scallops to this vendor that I am with now. Who was it? Why was he in this remote place, like I am now? Can I figure out the zone that he adventured in by looking at what he sold?

This mechanic lets me make *contact* with another player, bridging time and distance.

Mechanics like these have been lost over the years, and the devs make up reasons why they do not do this anymore. Stuff like being able to give mobs a weapon, or a lightsource so they start to wield it(possible in Everquest untill they nerfed it). Oooooh, griefer heaven! This is still possible though for an Enchanter and guess what: nobody griefs with it. Simple measures can prevent griefing anyway, just as you can have items on the ground poof after 6 minutes.

Oh well, keep on bringing the excuses.

Sorry, the "we can't do cool stuff anymore because, you know, griefers" rustles my jimmies.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Jazzlvraz
Tyncale
…the real reason is that it puts an extra load on the network and databases. I wish the developers would just be honest about that.

Lee was honest. That's the "leads to madness" part.
Tyncale
Jazzlvraz
Tyncale
…the real reason is that it puts an extra load on the network and databases. I wish the developers would just be honest about that.

What kind of madness? Network and database problems? I figured he was talking about people going crazy because of the humongous freedom they have of being able to drop stuff on the ground.

You could let stuff go poof after 6 minutes. But I can see how it would be extra coding trouble, and PFO has other fish to fry. The scope is different so I am not expecting stuff like this. It's just the "griefer angle" that I do not buy anymore.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Jazzlvraz
I meant only that "madness" can be presumed to encompass many things, thus disallowing any accusation of dishonesty, which is always impolite.
Bringslite
Urman
Bringslite
…I will learn to keep an eye on my encumberance…

Encumbrance is one of those things that our character would be fully aware of (this load is getting heavy!). I think it should be visible in the basic UI, not hidden in some window.

That would be peachy. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Kitsune
Tyncale
Jazzlvraz
Tyncale

What kind of madness? Network and database problems? I figured he was talking about people going crazy because of the humongous freedom they have of being able to drop stuff on the ground.

You could let stuff go poof after 6 minutes. But I can see how it would be extra coding trouble, and PFO has other fish to fry. The scope is different so I am not expecting stuff like this. It's just the "griefer angle" that I do not buy anymore.

Completely agree. 100%. From the day I backed the kickstarter, I was wanting the ability to drop things on the ground. I don't care anymore if it is individual items; little "nodes" (bags, whatever) would be sufficient to the cause.

As for profanity and all that such, yeah, we might see someone write some phallic displays on the ground once in a while. However, this should be treated 100% the same as someone spouting out obscenities in public chat.

As for server resources, put a limit on it. Decay. After 6-10min or whatever, the items decay and poof.

However, in the current state of the servers, being somewhat overloaded with just the players alone, I can definitely see this as being a current issue. Two years from now? This should not be an excuse.

Time developing the code and such? Definitely a great excuse and reason to not work on this now. You guys have much bigger fish to fry, and I'd hate to see something like this take precedence over something more important (like Kingdoms or something). So, yeah, let's put it at the bottom of the list.

But, by all means, let's not remove it from the list. Please.

Edit: Here's my original thread on the Paizo forums, back in January 2013:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pf1i?I-Threw-it-on-the-Ground
Ulf Stonepate
So, without persistent items, if I drop my stuff to run faster, the loot is simply lost - the pursuer gets nothing. That will lead to players disintigrating their valuables out of sheer spite or to make themselves less attractive targets. If I'm trapped by bandits, my loot is already lost - I can at least not strengthen the enemy with it.

But if I have to drop that stuff on the ground, even if the loot only lasts 30 seconds, my pursuer has the opportunity to make a decision whether to go for whatever I'm still carrying or take the jetsam. No need for it to show on the mini-map - if they have to come back for it it will already be gone. No need for fancy art, just a sturdy-looking burlap bag. And any other loot dropped in the same general area can go to a common point so that fleeing bunnies don't spam up the countryside with a different bag for every stack of items.
Bringslite
It was fun (in previous games) to play "discard collector" and similar pursuits. It could be a tactic to slow pusuit, though I envision bandits in packs and I envision them learning to counter that tactic quickly. It was used (previously by me) to exchange items between my characters when I couldn't run multiple clients.

Most of these reasons (to have item persistance) are, or would, be unneccesary or countered quickly. I can understand the aethetic that it would make the "world" abit more real, even that it could be an aid in RP. I can also understand that some object that "Bad Writing" concerns are a poor reason to not have it.

Bottom line is, it really is small potatoes with so many other issues that more people would prefer added and perfected.

If I were to push for something, it would be "bags" that can be labeled, stored in packs, banks, and can hold different types of items for quick trade, storage, retrival, etc…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Yrme
Bringslite
… It could be a tactic to slow pusuit, though I envision bandits in packs and I envision them learning to counter that tactic quickly…

Once a robber has drawn the character into combat (a 1.5s half-draw shot, from ~35m, with a bandit popping out of stealth), inventory is locked down and the character is dropping nothing. The robbers just need to keep the quarry in combat to the end.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post