Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Encumbrance is Coming - BEWARE

Bringslite
Urman
Bringslite
… It could be a tactic to slow pusuit, though I envision bandits in packs and I envision them learning to counter that tactic quickly…

Once a robber has drawn the character into combat (a 1.5s half-draw shot, from ~35m, with a bandit popping out of stealth), inventory is locked down and the character is dropping nothing. The robbers just need to keep the quarry in combat to the end.

Good point and so a pretty limited use or reason to build a feature. Most reasons that I can think of (to include such a feature) either are made moot by existing or planned mechanics. That leaves aesthetics and possibly RP?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Lee Hammock
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
There is no limit to items in the bank and you can destroy items but not drop them on the ground. Tracking individually dropped items on the ground is a path that leads to madness and people spelling out obscenities.
I feel this is an ancient adagio from the early days of Everquest and somehow has stuck in the mind of developers over the years since, and now they are all echoing eachother. You can *still* drop items on the ground in Everquest where they appear as bags (or weapons) and I have not seen anything spelled out in the last 13 years in that game.

TBH, I think the real reason is that it puts an extra load on the network and databases. I wish the developers would just be honest about that. For me, small mechanics like this are the reason why I still keep logging into EQ from time to time. Not to spell out dirty words, but maybe because I have a stack of Misty thicket Picnics in my inventory that I want to hand out in one of the social hubs. SHouting out in /OOC and then putting them on the ground in a string so that people can pick them up.

Or finding something dropped on the ground, picking it up and noticing it is a piece of foraged food that undoubtedly has been dropped there by a Foraging Druid or so. That tells me that another player was here before me in the last 6 minutes (stuff poofs after about 6 minutes)and I find that sort of thing *exiting*. It is part of the "Massively Multiplayer" of these games: noticing the small effects, the *presence* of other players in that world.

The same goes for vendor-diving: nothing more exiting then checking some NPC merchant in a remote area of the world and finding something on him that must have been sold to him by another player. Knowing that this other player was here before me, and sold his loot, his foraged scallops to this vendor that I am with now. Who was it? Why was he in this remote place, like I am now? Can I figure out the zone that he adventured in by looking at what he sold?

This mechanic lets me make *contact* with another player, bridging time and distance.

Mechanics like these have been lost over the years, and the devs make up reasons why they do not do this anymore. Stuff like being able to give mobs a weapon, or a lightsource so they start to wield it(possible in Everquest untill they nerfed it). Oooooh, griefer heaven! This is still possible though for an Enchanter and guess what: nobody griefs with it. Simple measures can prevent griefing anyway, just as you can have items on the ground poof after 6 minutes.

Oh well, keep on bringing the excuses.

Sorry, the "we can't do cool stuff anymore because, you know, griefers" rustles my jimmies.

My statement of "down that path lies madness" meant database management. Yes, tracking all those items would be unmanageable and madness.

Nihimon
Ulf Stonepate
So, without persistent items, if I drop my stuff to run faster, the loot is simply lost - the pursuer gets nothing.

I've always thought there needs to be a way to lock another Character in combat, even if you're not able to continue attacking them. It doesn't make sense to me that they would be able to get all their Spells back while I'm in hot pursuit.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Valkenr
Perhaps, to get spells back you should have to do a 'rest' action, that immobilizes the character for 15 seconds and reduces all defenses and resistances to 0, applies flat footed, and provokes opportunity for the duration. You should be able to cancel this action. And a very obvious animation would be nice. And it should require the character to be out of combat for 45 seconds.
Jazzlvraz
Valkenr Darkaal
…a very obvious animation would be nice.

Sounds like the games that required you to sit as the only way to recover between combats.
TheGoodfellow
Urman
Bringslite
… It could be a tactic to slow pusuit, though I envision bandits in packs and I envision them learning to counter that tactic quickly…

Once a robber has drawn the character into combat (a 1.5s half-draw shot, from ~35m, with a bandit popping out of stealth), inventory is locked down and the character is dropping nothing. The robbers just need to keep the quarry in combat to the end.

The same would go for SAD once that is in game. Otherwise it defeats the purpose as some people would turn it into a race. How much valuable loot can I destroy before I die? If a SAD is being issued, you are being watched during the "discussion" of it and if you tried to destroy or discard things it would be noticed right away and the combat would start as the bandit would not want his potential loot being destroyed. In combat, it just doesn't make sense as one focused on dumping things would be less defended and able to be dispatched quicker than if they defended themselves.

I also agree that being able to drop bags of loot SHOULD be in game at some point, maybe for OE or something but should definitely be on the list. No need for additional animations or artwork, just a bag icon on the ground that can be looted by anyone. These bags would be fair game to anyone, but your husk should warrant the theif/criminal flag. Just to note the difference.
TheGoodfellow
Jazzlvraz
Valkenr Darkaal
…a very obvious animation would be nice.

Sounds like the games that required you to sit as the only way to recover between combats.

I am also in favor of this. Sitting or kneeling or something of that nature.
Dogan
Lock people in combat? Are you kidding, mad or just want to make other people miserable?

If your prey has developed a tactic to reduce the benefit of you predating upon them then you need to adapt and evolve or go extinct. Not pray to the Devs for help to keep from being out-smarted. Jeesh, the entitlement of the 'bandit nobility' is amazing. The pay-offs from taking other people's stuff are huge, the risks/consequences are really very, very low. And still the whining.

I think a MAD is a reasonable and viable deterrence to SAD. Scorched Earth responses are well-known tactics to reduce the motivation for attack from a stronger power. To eliminate them from the list of options actually reduces the chances of meaningful interaction since the more powerful aggressor has no need to negotiate. If Scorched Earth is a possibility (the player can destroy everything rather than relinquish it), then there is enough leverage in the situation to instigate a negotiation. The negotation is where there is really "meaningful human interaction." Combat is really quite boring in these situations (they will never be even fights unless the aggressor is an idiot) and has been done to death in every other game. But to get someone to give up something rather than have to destroy it all…that will take some real skill, not button mashing. It is interesting. SAD should not be a 'I win' feat.

That is, if you the purpose is actually to get stuff and not just an excuse to satisfy the urge to project power and get the sad little fantasy thrill of imposing your will upon another….
Jazzlvraz
TheGoodfellow
I am also in favor of this.

I was careful not to advocate; there's a reason this mechanic fell so quickly, widely, and lingeringly from favour.
TheGoodfellow
Jazzlvraz
TheGoodfellow
I am also in favor of this.

I was careful not to advocate; there's a reason this mechanic fell so quickly, widely, and lingeringly from favour.
sorry just happened to be the post I quoted. Mainly refereeing to what you had quoted in your post. I wasn't intending to say you were supporting or advocating something that you weren't. Please forgive any misrepresentations that occurred due to my quote.

To clarify, I speak only for my self and not for anyone else when I say that I support the idea of a "rest action" to recover and exit the combat stance (like ending an encounter in TT). This will help the game know when we are taking a sec to calm down and regroup, vs just going 1 group to another. This also would address the thread "I put my staff away too soon" (too lazy to link but it is here somewhere)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post