Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Encumbrance is Coming - BEWARE

Ryan Dancey
That is 100% the plan. Asap.
Azure_Zero
Chance Wyvernspur
Azure_Zero
Here's something the devs could do to make it better for gather/crafters and gather/craft/combat types
Is allow local crafting buildings in a Settlement access to the Local Bank/vault.

So we don't have to keep loading and unloading our materials from the Bank to craft something or go out gathering materials

That seems reasonable to me.

I'm glad someone likes the idea
Azure_Zero
Who wants to bet the next patch has encumbrance turned on.
Ravenlute
I am in favor of Encumbrance being a meaningful mechanic. There is a bit of a disconnect from TT to an MMO though.

In TT if you have to take multiple trips back and forth from your heavy loot to your bank or home it gets boring pretty fast or just far too time consuming. To alleviate that the GM can fast forward the game or the characters can use things like pack animals or magical bags to transfer the loot. This keeps the game rolling and fun.

In an MMO, particularly a world building one, if Encumbrance is going to be put into play then the characters need at least one option to move mass quantities.

Using Wurm as an example, it too has encumbrance. If I were to go dig 4 piles of dirt I would be weighed down so much I could barely crawl if I could move at all. Rather than try to carry that myself I first build a cart and drag that to where I am digging. Then I can transfer the dirt I dig into the cart until it fills up (about 60 piles for a large cart) and then drag the full cart back to where I need to go. While dragging the cart I move slower and if the cart gets too full I can't drag it.

PFO has loot from mobs but a lot of what characters will be carrying are the mats they harvested and that adds up so fast in terms of encumbrance that it isn't fun to go harvesting, it's a serious hassle. They need a way to carry those goods with them somehow.

————-

On a somewhat separate note, the way that finished crafted items pop into your inventory when done is a bad idea with encumbrance. This will leave characters suddenly stranded out in the world as their finished plate mail drops into their inventory and since they can't drop it they may be forced to delete the new item. It makes much more sense to leave the item in a Finished state in the crafting queue to be picked up later, only accessible from the structure it was queued up in.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Azure_Zero
Ravenlute
…..

On a somewhat separate note, the way that finished crafted items pop into your inventory when done is a bad idea with encumbrance. This will leave characters suddenly stranded out in the world as their finished plate mail drops into their inventory and since they can't drop it they may be forced to delete the new item. It makes much more sense to leave the item in a Finished state in the crafting queue to be picked up later, only accessible from the structure it was queued up in.

Why not drop the item off into the Local Bank, and Local being where the Crafting of item was made initially.
Nihimon
Azure_Zero
Why not drop the item off into the Local Bank, and Local being where the Crafting of item was made initially.

I'm pretty sure this is the plan.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Azure_Zero
And something the devs should do to make it better for almost everyone.
Is allow local crafting buildings in a Settlement access to the Local Bank/vault.

So we don't have to keep loading and unloading our materials/salvage from the Bank to craft something or go out gathering materials.
Nihimon
Azure_Zero

So we don't have to keep loading and unloading our materials/salvage from the Bank to craft something or go out gathering materials.

I'm pretty sure that's also the plan, and it might already be working that way.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Jazzlvraz
Azure_Zero

From the top of this page…in response to you smile:

Ryan Dancey
That is 100% the plan. Asap.
Stephen Cheney
Being able to take materials directly from your local bank into your refining/crafting job and have the finished item deposit to said bank is the plan. It just turned out to be more complicated than "flip the bit in the code" so it's very unlikely to be in for the next patch. As soon as we can, though.

Long term, we'd like to have company and settlement banks that you can pick from as well, possibly with granular enough permissions that you can be allowed to craft with items in the bank but not just take them. The plan in that case is that whatever you make drops into the most significant location that you took materials from (so if you used settlement, company, and personal materials, the finished good drops into the settlement bank). This is for situations like, "We have a whole pile of raw materials in the settlement bank; crafters, go forth and turn those into this particular list of weapons of the specified types and upgrade levels."

In general, the plan is that all local storage should be pretty much instantly transferable. The chance of getting mugged in between moving stuff from one to the other in your inventory seems so low that the quality of life benefit far outweighs any usefulness to bandits we'd be losing.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post